smyrna's defense!

i hear all this talk about smyrna's offense this week and i hear little about there defense.. they were the ones that set the tone at the beginning of the game and i was wandering what you think about them...?

Smyrna's D played a good (solid) game and LaVergne's O helped them out a great deal. The QB fumbling on the first play was the worst thing that could happen to LHS, I think. There heads were in the dirt after that, A-Rod is really going to have to stop the turn overs if LaVergne has any hope of winning. He averaged 2 to 3 turnovers a game last year, good teams just don't do that. I also think the coaching staff got out coached all around. Who was in the box, couldn't they see that Smyrna was giving up the middle of the field to stop the run. Tillery is okay but I liked the bigger back (Ramsey) better, they moved the ball better with him in the game but the second half he only touched it once to get a short yardage 1st down. Smyrna used their two backs perfect and it showed at the end, maybe LHS can take note and try what SHS is doing and run the back that is hot and stop being sold on one back being in the game at certain times. LHS O Line got its butt whipped up and down the field all night long, I thought that was the strength of the team, if so it is going to be a long season, unless they start playing like everyone expects. THE GAME DIDN'T LIVE UP TO THE HYPE AND A LOT OF FANS STARTED TO LEAVE AND GO TO THE RIVERDALE GAME. Good Luck for the remainder of the season to both and I hope each team works out the kinks that they have even though I didn't see many in the Smyrna team.

i hear all this talk about smyrna's offense this week and i hear little about there defense.. they were the ones that set the tone at the beginning of the game and i was wandering what you think about them...?

because shs biggest weapon and when there d comes out and gets smacked in the face i think they will have to rely on there o to keep them in the game

smyrna played very smart football...they knew that our defense was weak and they ran the clock down very well...LaVergne's offense is so used to last year when whenever the D got a 3rd down we knew they'd stop em and we'd be back on the field...this year that isnt the case...too many times did we get up and go sit back down and wait for about a 15 minute drive (or wat it seemed) to be over and watch the score get even higher...as for the o-line...it was good...but we had tillery in who would try to bounce it to a side where the play wasnt designed and would make the line look bad...as for Ramsey..he's a very smart back who i would love to see play a heck of a lot more...he reads the holes well and has the ability to take on a hit and keep goin

sounds like thats what happened to y'alls D against siegel

o knew some1 would get on her and run there mouth about that and this thread aint even about but since u said that no we stopped them 3 and out then we had a penalty then we had them 3 and out again then another penalty and then they are a pretty good team now and yes they scored then the other was when we fumbled on kickoff so they never really drove on us except the time we got a int no other time but the biggest thing was the penalties and we under estimated them

players of the game on d..definatly shadrake causing 2 fumbles..one on arod and the one i forgot which reciver but he knocked it lose then picked it up..he is a stud in the middle..instincts are the best from around the region..matt rofrano also had a heck of a game..55..he was in on almost every run play and had pressure alot on arod to make him scramble and throm some balls when his feet weernt set..hendricks played a great game aginst chris..shut him down to one catch..but about our dbs being the weakest spot..i believe we held lavergne a prodominate passing team to 0 yrds passing in the first half..so great job to coach pip for getting the dbs in shape for the game..

sounds like thats what happened to y'alls D against siegel

our defense does not have me worried a bit...like SCN already mentioned, first drive of the game (which siegel scored on), we shut them down to a 3 and out, on the punt we had 12 men on the field and that gave them the first and they slowly continued their drive (which ended up running 8 minutes off the clock), even once aided by another penalty.

the other "drive" (if you want to call it that) was from about 15 yards out, after we had fumbled a return. we also missed 3 tackles on corven before he got to the endzone.

those are just on the drives siegel scored on, there were plenty more drives continued due to penalties, (thats why you saw siegel dominate time of possession) one time we had backed siegel up to their 2 yard line (would have actually had a safety, our defense swarmed on corven but he was called down by loss of momentum, which honestly was the right call i dont disagree with it), they would have had to punt out of the very back of their own endzone, but we had a player make a bonehead move and get in corvens face, when corven really was the one who made us look bad (even though we had stopped him and pushed him back), because we had 4 guys on him but couldnt even fight him to the ground. those are just a few i can remember, we also let up on siegel on a couple 4th and short plays

yes those ARE excuses, we should have been able to overcome those things regardless, (i still think its unacceptable) but once you take those factors in, you realize riverdale's D didnt do ALL that bad (we did create 2 INTs, one of them was called back about 30 yards off the return due to an illegal block i believe)...once we eliminate those bonehead penalties, we're straight, actually i wish i hadnt taken the time to break it down for you so smyrna would just over look us and get suprised, but you'll see some dominant performances by our D before then so you would have found out anyways ;)

OK SMYRNA PLAYERS AND FANS ITS TIME TO COME BACK TO EARTH.

1. Lavergne is no where near as good as last yr and while smyrna surely showed the potential to be very good lets not get to high here on out own comments.

2. No one else we play will be foolish enough to cover rod 1 on 1 and also virtually run 2 variations of defense

a. the defense that is good for teams to run against

b. the defense that is good for teams to pass against

most teams will try to play

a. a defense that is good to stop the run

b. a defense that is good to stop the pass

these teams will also adjust schemes and personell as the game goes on

so in summary it is up to the seniors on smyrnas football team to use this game for confidence but understand that if they don't stay hungry and work hard they can lose to anybody on their schedule.

seniors and you know who you are its time to get off the lavergen talk and how good the offense or defense is

keep in mind brentwood has beaten smyrna 2 of the last 3 times including last yr

so they may not be that impressed with you.

your picked in the top 10 in the state and tops in the region and everyone will be coming for you its time to talk about brentwood

everyone will judge how good you are in november!!