Fact that may only interest me

The Tennessean, in it's account of Riverdale's victory over siegel, noted that it was Riverdale's 71st straight district/region win. Also, region foes Lavergne and Smyrna are both ranked in their midstate top-10....not mention long-time Tennessee power Oakland.

So, what is going on here? By all accounts, they are playing in a region with quality opponents. Oakland won a state title as recently as 1998....and now Riverdale goes....what...8-9 years without losing a region game?

We see these gawdy #'s about what private schools did to public schools prior to the creation of dII/multiplier, but these defy all logic. At least there are tangible factors that one can point to in the public/private discussion--more money, greater percentage of kids playing sports, "recruiting," financial aid, very poor competition, urban/rural, etc. But right in the middle of Rutherford County, one school, theoretically no different in material advantages from its peers, has run off a 71 game region winning streak...

I'd be curious to hear an explanation for how this is possible....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is there no one defending this, no one is even discussing this.

Here's an interesting question: Will this streak continue without the presence of Gary Rankin?

Another school that has a similar region record is Tyner in the AA region in Chattanooga. I don't know the specific numbers but they haven't lost a region game in several years. What is the explanation? Good coaching? Are Tyner kids born better football players? Is it the water?

I don't see a point. You're talking about a few programs out of some 250 public schools, and then out of around 50 privates, a far higher average have top notch football teams and send players to colleges at a much higher rate. Probably every private school team with over 500 students, and you're talking about around 12 of them, would be favored over all but around 10 public schools with over 500, if that many. And of course add in BA to the mix at 450.

Edited by Indian

I don't see a point. You're talking about a few programs out of some 250 public schools, and then out of around 50 privates, a far higher average have top notch football teams and send players to colleges at a much higher rate. Probably every private school team with over 500 students, and you're talking about around 12 of them, would be favored over all but around 10 public schools with over 500, if that many. And of course add in BA to the mix at 450.

Riverdale is the same size as Oakland, Smyrna, and Lavergne. All of these programs are highly regarded. All of them are in the same geographic area. And yet somehow, Riverdale has managed to win 71 consecutive games against them and others. These are the VERY SAME statistics--the gaudy record that privates amassed at the expense of publics--that were used as evidence for the need to create d2 and or the multiplier.

Let me ask this: do you think Baylor, MBA, MUS, McCallie, Father Ryan, or CBHS, the financial aid schools who played the longest in the highest classifications, ever had a streak remotely approaching 9 years without a region loss?

The obvious conclusion is that statistics which indicate "one-sidedness" are irrelevant when they apply to public schools. They only carry water when they apply to privates v. publics.

Riverdale is the same size as Oakland, Smyrna, and Lavergne. All of these programs are highly regarded. All of them are in the same geographic area. And yet somehow, Riverdale has managed to win 71 consecutive games against them and others. These are the VERY SAME statistics--the gaudy record that privates amassed at the expense of publics--that were used as evidence for the need to create d2 and or the multiplier.

Let me ask this: do you think Baylor, MBA, MUS, McCallie, Father Ryan, or CBHS, the financial aid schools who played the longest in the highest classifications, ever had a streak remotely approaching 9 years without a region loss?

The obvious conclusion is that statistics which indicate "one-sidedness" are irrelevant when they apply to public schools. They only carry water when they apply to privates v. publics.

I cringe when words like "obvious conclusion" are used in any argument. I agree with the basic premise that stats are used (or not) at the convenience of "my favorite position" in any discussion. You make a valid point with reference to size of schools, geographic locale, reputation, etc. versus the success they have had.

Be very careful with what a professor of mine called "broad sweeping generalizations." You may very well wake up dead Lazarus!

Without trying to "see a point" how would you explain the extended success of Riverdale, Tyner, Maryville, Trousdale County, Alcoa, et.al. as compared to similar schools?

Another school that has a similar region record is Tyner in the AA region in Chattanooga. I don't know the specific numbers but they haven't lost a region game in several years. What is the explanation? Good coaching? Are Tyner kids born better football players? Is it the water?

I think Tyner being a "magnet" school might have something to do with it.

I cringe when words like "obvious conclusion" are used in any argument. I agree with the basic premise that stats are used (or not) at the convenience of "my favorite position" in any discussion. You make a valid point with reference to size of schools, geographic locale, reputation, etc. versus the success they have had.

Be very careful with what a professor of mine called "broad sweeping generalizations." You may very well wake up dead Lazarus!

I'll put it this way: MY conclusion is that there are a lot of people who only care about inequity and "unfairness" when it involves privates and publics, largely because private schools are generally unsympathetic figures.

What I find amusing is the amazing lack of responses from the same people who post about private abuse...the silence is deafening.

But you guys have missed one of the best examples...Trousdale County. If you look at the last 10 years that TC has played in 1a you will find that they have more state titles than any of the "dominate privates" that people talk about. South Pitt is a power house too. I can tell ya why...coaching and a commitment to excellence by the players and the towns. Coach Grider and company and Coach Satterfield and company are excellent (wow, that hurt me to say about Coach S since he is a big private basher) and their programs show it.