Fact that may only interest me

There aren't a lot of Maryvilles, Alcoas, Riverdales, Trousdales, in the public schools, when you remember you're looking at 250 or so public football programs. Out of about 50 privates, quite a few would be considered top level programs. That's my point.

But Indian, your point isn't valid. Either dominance implies an advantage or not. You decide. If it does then ALL dominating schools must have an advantage over the dominated schools. If you are going to punish one group for their advantage and not another it is simply discrimination.

And your statement is a bit misleading. There is only 1 private school program that has had anywhere near the level of total domination that the four you mentioned have...BA. NO OTHER private has the kind of record that these publics have...not one. Yet they continue slaughtering their public brethren year after year with nary a "hey, wait a minute." While less successful private schools are crucified because they might have 1 or 2 really good years and put together 5 or 6 good years in a row. Look at us. We have had 8 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons in the last 10 years. Pretty good but nothing like the four you mentioned, or even Tyner who is in our district. Yet we pay a 1.8 multiplier and are accused of cheating all the time. Tyner and the four publics you mentioned have far better records but don't pay a multiplier and aren't assumed to be cheaters. You know this, you are in our district.

At the jamboree one of the linemen for Whitwell asked one of our linemen how many studs we had recruited this year...he didn't think that up himself...his parents and coaches have said it so much he just assumes it is true. My lineman just shrugged, looked over at the sideline, and said "bout 50." It should be noted that my lineman is a 5'9" 181 pound senior guard who is my only returner, while the guy talking to him was a couple or 3 inches taller and 30 or 40 pounds heavier. It should also be noted that my guy isn't my smallest lineman. Geez, if we are cheating by getting kids, I must be the worst recruiter of all time. Sequatchie's JV line was bigger than us. That's why we didn't realize it was their young kids until after the first score. Yet you and most of the valley ASSUME we are at some advantage. But of course Trousdale isn't...now what is the difference? To me it is that they may have bigger, stronger, faster kids than us and a better record than us but they are...drumroll...public, so they obviously can't have an advantage.

BC stepping off his stump...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At the jamboree one of the linemen for Whitwell asked one of our linemen how many studs we had recruited this year...he didn't think that up himself...his parents and coaches have said it so much he just assumes it is true."

your problem is, you just dont recognize praise when you hear it.

do you think riverdale doesnt hear that kind of stuff, or maryville, or any of those other teams that were mentioned?

that's human nature, that is how humans are.

you know what i dont like to hear?

"your team is 'well coached'"

"your guys play hard"

"ya'll dont give up"

one of the first things i tell my guys when starting out with a sad-sack team is that we are thru being a loveable punching bag. if getting beat 82-0 and having people tell you you "tried hard" doesnt crawl all over you, you need to do some soul searching.

being accused of cheating is a goal. thats how you know you are where you want to be.

tell me this;

do you have the respect of good coaches?

do good teams look forward to playing you? (discounting playoff nonsense)

hey, that's as good as it gets.

who cares what the doofuses have to say?

but now, if having everyone love you is important, you know how to achieve that.

i think you've been there before.

Interesting thread.

Two things I think about this debate:

1. It's always easier to say that someone else cheats and has unfair advantages as opposed to admit that they just might work harder than you and be committeed to being successful more than you.

2. Private schools were the #1 "problem" for a lot of public schools for a long time. First was BA, then others joined in them. So, a large number of publics got together and said no fair, and told them they had to play by themselves. Everyone would have a fair shot.....and then open enrollmetn schools are now winning. The only reason that the level of angst isn't at the same level yet is became the "problem" hasn't been around as long. That same feeling that everyone had toward the major privates is starting to quickly snowball towards those with open enrollments. I'd say before 2010 that open enrollment schools will be next on the hitlist in order to "make everything fair". Then some other segment of the schools will dominate (my guess is large metro), and then everyone will turn against them. It's a never ending cycle until you give out a state title to every school in the state.

About the only school and sports that I've ever thought had a legit gripe about private schools are the small rural schools that field baseball and softball teams. The demographics don't allow them to compete with all it takes to field competitive teams in those sports. Funny though, we hardly hear anything at all out of them.

"One of the first things I did was go into the middle schools and talk to the parents, recruit those kids and get them to come to Brentwood instead of go somewhere else." Can you imagine what would be said on here if that had been a private school coach quote.

I posted the same quote on the football board and was taken to task on it.

Link

There are plenty of well-versed, logical, fair debaters on the other side of my stance in this P/P debate. I enjoy the banter with those people, and respect their opinions/feelings. However, it is closed-minded boneheads like the one in the link above that steer me closer to avoiding the P/P Boards.

Edited by rollredroll