Centennial @ Independence

zoosee12

ya man its cool

and it will be intresting to see how harris matches up against cordell

and as for coffee i would assume that he'd replace scales because he's the youngest and mcclemore seemed to be more vital when barlar does his playaction passing

coffee should add to a great centennial backfield in one way or another

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Centennial's DBs are the athletes of the team this year. I'm not sure how technically sound they are, but they can certainly run around the field all day.

I'd like to see Centennial line up 4 wide at times, and see how Independence reacts, because Centennial has a lot of talent, and just has to learn how to harness all of the talent.

I have a question concerning Independence's running game. It looks to me like the Eagles like to pass first, and run second. While they lit it up against Hillwood with the air game, only 71 yards were amounted on 21 carries. Did the coach gameplan to pass a lot, or did the run simply not work in the first quarter (since the only points were from a punt return via Terone Shephard)?

Either way, Centennial played a team last week in LaVergne that threw the ball as many times as Independence will throw it this week. I'm guessing that Independence will be a bit more accurate, but not by much, than was Andrew Rodriguez. Conversely, it looks to me that Zach Cordell is less mobile than was Rodriguez, and it was that mobility that ended the Cougars chance for victory in week 0.

Penalties also played a factor in the Centennial game. A team simply can't have 8 penalties in a game and expect to win. A lot of those penalties were holding, and when you're a team that runs the ball 30+ times a game, that type of penalty will kill you.

So here's who I think has to shine for their team to win:

Independence:

Scott Pettigrew: This kid is an athlete, and I saw that last year. However, if he has another game where he has less than 50 yards, it will be hard at times for the Eagles to move the ball over the course of the game.

Linebacking core: Read the wishbone well, and the Cougars will be forced to throw it up.

Centennial:

Drew Kelly and Lamont Harris: Catch the ball when it's thrown for a toss up, and you WILL win this game. Receivers of your height should own that ball.

Clarence Hardison, Terry Hogan, and whoever else is playing on the defensive front: Put pressure on Cordell, and see what he does under pressure. He'll throw the ball around 25-30 times and if you can get passed that O-Line, we might see an INT or two.

Ambiguous, I agree completely with everything you just said.

Hillwood had a weak secondary and we had a solid gameplan against them. Pettigrew racked up over 160 yards of offense last year against Hillwood. Their pass rush was also minimal. The reason for the lack of passing success in the first quarter was that we only had one series on offense...They scored, we went 3 and out, then they punted, we returned it, they punted again, we returned it, they threw an INT which we ran back but was called back. Not a pretty first quarter if you ask me.

Centennial will probably gameplan against CD but if Isaac Baugh can start to make some big plays downfield, they could be in trouble.

I wish we'd run more early on, but you can't argue with success. We're very capable of running, it's just that teams haven't been able to stop the pass. So I guess you'd say it is pass first, run second.

If penalties were a problem for Centennial, it won't make a difference because the Eagles have been penalized way too often as well.

ya i realize after i say that i really would almost like them to go balanced because if centennial can shut down the pass game they would be in alot better position

Players and coaches need to get into a rythmn and feel comfortable with how each will react to game situations. Given Coach Smith's track record with QB's....this could prove dangerous for the rest of the region if he and Cordell are getting on the same page. Then add solid hard nose running from those stable of RB's (Pettigrew, Consiglio, Sheffield, etc) and the Eagles from Independence could have one of the best offenses around.

My thought is that these first two games were used more for passing because Coach Smith wanted to know what he had in his QB's. Those questions seemed to be answered last week with nearly 300 yds total passing. Concentrate on the pass and see this team run over you. Stop the run and watch these QB's throw it down your throat. Hmmmm.....I like it! Good luck to the Eagles, this HS fan loves exciting football (especially high power offense)...bring it Coach Smith!!

Players and coaches need to get into a rythmn and feel comfortable with how each will react to game situations. Given Coach Smith's track record with QB's....this could prove dangerous for the rest of the region if he and Cordell are getting on the same page. Then add solid hard nose running from those stable of RB's (Pettigrew, Consiglio, Sheffield, etc) and the Eagles from Independence could have one of the best offenses around.

My thought is that these first two games were used more for passing because Coach Smith wanted to know what he had in his QB's. Those questions seemed to be answered last week with nearly 300 yds total passing. Concentrate on the pass and see this team run over you. Stop the run and watch these QB's throw it down your throat. Hmmmm.....I like it! Good luck to the Eagles, this HS fan loves exciting football (especially high power offense)...bring it Coach Smith!!

Alright! Could not have put it any better. The offense out of indy is explosive from all positions on the field. We have deep ball threats and possession recievers. We have power running and we have two solid QB's. Cordell being able to control the game at all times. If you choose to focus on the pass, then we can pound with the run. Very high powered offense with a great leader at QB! They can't wait out at indy