Who's the best TEAM in the state?

Commander Salamander

^i think you have a twisted perspective on things...based on scores atleast (i have never seen anyone on riverdales team play in person)...all riverdales players are pretty consistant and most of them stay under 75, i dont believe i have seen anyone in the 80s this year. if they werent so good as a team, why did they shoot 287 at 2 meets in a row (which is a school record)?

things in your post indicated your biasedness and unwillingness to accept that riverdale has a great squad.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team couldn't touch the team two years ago, I played against them and saw it first hand. Who are these kids? I've never heard of them with the exception of Coughlin. Two years ago everyone knew about Jeff Co with Hodge and Malnati, and the three sophomores werent bad at all either. This team may be competitive, but it doesnt have anywhere near the talent Jeff Co. has had in past years.

The thing about this years team is that there is no one person that stands out like Malnati and Hodge. This team has 6 guys that play par golf. The reason they aren't getting as much recognition is because of the fact that they don't have that one standout guy that everyone is looking at. I will agree with you on the fact that known of these kids have the talent of Malnati or Hodge, but they are a hard working bunch and I won't count them out when the state tournament comes around.

The thing about this years team is that there is no one person that stands out like Malnati and Hodge. This team has 6 guys that play par golf. The reason they aren't getting as much recognition is because of the fact that they don't have that one standout guy that everyone is looking at. I will agree with you on the fact that known of these kids have the talent of Malnati or Hodge, but they are a hard working bunch and I won't count them out when the state tournament comes around.

That team didnt just have one standout guy, they had two. If you look at teams that have one a championship they always had two players that could break par or close every time out. Malnati and Hodge did just that, and the three sophomores always found a way for at least two of them to have a good round. BTW am I right in calling the other three sophomores because Coughlin is the only player remaining from that team. Where are the other two?

What about schools that don't recruit, for example Riverdale, Clarksville, and other public high schools. It speaks volumes about the players and coaches of these schools, since they can't recruit, and have to accept what comes their way through zoning lines. Thankfully, the TSSAA got wise and removed the "privates" from the divisions with the "publics," although I do believe that Riverdale and Clarksville could play with any of these private schools.

OK....just remember ONLY the DII schools recruit and provide financial assistance to students. The DI privates do not.....not sure if Riverdale or Clarksville, play any of the alphabets(cpa, dca, fra, etc....)?

^i think you have a twisted perspective on things...based on scores atleast (i have never seen anyone on riverdales team play in person)...all riverdales players are pretty consistant and most of them stay under 75, i dont believe i have seen anyone in the 80s this year. if they werent so good as a team, why did they shoot 287 at 2 meets in a row (which is a school record)?

things in your post indicated your biasedness and unwillingness to accept that riverdale has a great squad.

First of all you need to get your facts straight riverdale shot 287 on a par 70 when jason millard carded a 63. and skip jones shot 79 which is out of 75 and also skip and their 5 player not for sure on his name noth have shot in the 80s at least 2 or 3 times this year and skip shot an 88 somewhere so before you place ridicule on others know your facts....oh wait forgot i am talking to a riverdale warrior.

First of all you need to get your facts straight riverdale shot 287 on a par 70 when jason millard carded a 63. and skip jones shot 79 which is out of 75 and also skip and their 5 player not for sure on his name noth have shot in the 80s at least 2 or 3 times this year and skip shot an 88 somewhere so before you place ridicule on others know your facts....oh wait forgot i am talking to a riverdale warrior.

Well, it seems you need to get some of your facts straight. Riverdale did shoot 287 when Millard carded a 63, but it was on a par 72 (Lebanon Country Club). They also shot 287 at Indian Hills (also par 72) and 287 at Stones River Country Club (par 71). The 287 at Indian Hills included a 71 by Stephens and a 72 by Millard, a 73 by Pierson, and a 73 by Barczy. The 281 was shot at Cookeville Country Club in the Early Bird Tournament against 21 other teams (par 70). Riverdale went to McMinnville last week and shot 325 (32 shots over their average), which shows they are beatable, but they are still one of the top teams in the state. There's an awful lot of talk about Riverdale, when there are several good teams in their district. What about Siegel, Cookeville, Lebanon, and the others? They have solid programs as well. Good luck to Riverdale, and to all of the other teams working toward the state tournament!

• 2 weeks later...

I know some of you thought Jeff County had a chance at winning state but unfortunately they won't have a chance. They lost to a pretty good Science Hill team in a playoff that went to the second hole. Jeff Co was the only team at the Region 1 tournament to post 4 scores in the 70's, too bad for them it wasn't good enough. DB who some of you thought was the best in the state came up short. Sorry but a 313 won't win state.