Best radio coverage of High School Football

dobber2368

Who does the best radio coverage in the state?Being from West TN,I got to say WBFG 96.5,going from 3:30 to 12 AM is huge.That's going the extra mile,most of these guys start off in the studio and then go work for the scoreboard show reporting scores,others like Brulin and Harris pull off the scoreboard show to the show at midnight,thats huge.I'm not sure about Middle TN or East TN really,but I know if you listen to pre and post game shows in West TN you can't argue 96.5 does the best coverage.

Who does the best radio coverage in the state?Being from West TN,I got to say WBFG 96.5,going from 3:30 to 12 AM is huge.That's going the extra mile,most of these guys start off in the studio and then go work for the scoreboard show reporting scores,others like Brulin and Harris pull off the scoreboard show to the show at midnight,thats huge.I'm not sure about Middle TN or East TN really,but I know if you listen to pre and post game shows in West TN you can't argue 96.5 does the best coverage.

96.5 trumps anything and everything the rest of the state offers. Last season (and I assume this season too), 104.5 out of Nashville had an hour each Friday afternoon devoted to it with "The Guru" and then would do a hour or so post game show on Friday night as long as no pro event was going on. 99.1 out of Knoxville does a good job, as they have a Friday night Game of the Week and then have a good postgame show where they interview several coaches as well. Having lives in all three major areas, 96.5 to me is the best though. The on location broadcast is also another nice touch.

The main difference to me is that it is hard to find radio broadcasts of games in the Knoxville area. Like I said, 99.1 does a broadcast, and I believe 91.1 broadcasts Fulton games, but those are about all I know of. As good of a team as Maryville is, good luck picking up theor broadcasts noth of Tyson-Magee airport!

When I was in High School back in the 70's at Gordonsville, the Carthage radio station would air the Smith Co. game live and replay our game on Saturday morning. We would wake up and listen to the replay every Saturday. We didn't film games back then, so I guess this was the next best thing.

Also, if we were not down to the Gulf Station withing 30 minutes of the end of the game replay, some of the older fans (codgers) would call your house asking if you were okay.

Haven't heard them in a couple of years, but WHIN (1010 am) in Gallatin has consistently been one of the best at covering a single school (Gallatin).

The Zone in Nashville (104.5) has been doing MBA games and the crew is really pretty good. Fits well with their Friday pre-game/post-game coverage. Give them credit for doing something for high school sports in Nashville.

One of the best kept secrets in Nashville has been the Lipscomb coverage the past few years. There were on WAMB, but the station sold and I think they are internet only right now. The Seeman guy who anchored the thing was really good.

Most of the midstate has pretty good coverage in smaller towns, but as an area grows, high school football is one of the first things to die because there's no $$$ left after Titans, UT, Vandy, MTSU, etc. Station down in Franklin is still trying to make a run with a game of the week to spread out coverage.

Still miss the old statewide scoreboard show that Greg Ruff and Craig Jenkins used to do. That may have been the best coverage of all.

VI

Lebanon High School's Crew of Tommy Bryan, Terry Stafford, the late Clyde Harville and co. have done an excellent job of covering the Blue Devils in Middle Tennessee on FM 98.9. Unfortunately the team doesn't usually measure up to the coverage and the quality job these guys have done for approximately 20 years.

The Friday night scoreboard show after the game broadcast features a call-in show with various teams around the mid-state being represented by fans detailing game highlights and scores. This is also carried on AM - WCOR.

Definitely the best coverage in Middle Tennessee! :D