Top Feeder Programs

bratman

AC has never really had a feeder program before. One of the middle schools has had a team, but no real coaches. One year they let a high school student who had a sister on the team be the coach.

This year, however, Norris Middle School has two great coaches Pam Pittman and Karen Couples. Pam played at Miss St and is a great coach, and Karen was Ohio Valley Conference MVP and a former AC player!

They are putting together the best middle school team that AC has ever had. They are loaded with young athletes, and are encouraging the young girls to become active in club.

Looks like AC has a bright future.

KYdigs, you will be please to note that now that Coach Foster is co-director of the Knoxville club it looks like most of the AC girls are going to play club this season. Since most of the team returns for next year do you have an early 07' prediction?

For the most part, I think it'd be a toss-up between the Williamson and Rutherford middle school systems. In no particular order of among the best:

Page MS (Williamson), Siegel MS (Rutherford), Heritage MS (Williamson), Blackman MS (Rutherford), Brentwood MS (Williamson)

Father Ryan usually has network of 'sister' (no pun intended, honest!) parochial schools that play in the spring and send plenty of kids their way.

For the most part, I think it'd be a toss-up between the Williamson and Rutherford middle school systems. In no particular order of among the best:

Page MS (Williamson), Siegel MS (Rutherford), Heritage MS (Williamson), Blackman MS (Rutherford), Brentwood MS (Williamson)

Father Ryan usually has network of 'sister' (no pun intended, honest!) parochial schools that play in the spring and send plenty of kids their way.

Well, another late night post and since I have two of interest, this one is worth the time now. I will enjoy replying to this because Brat and those associated with the HS scene either have now or are discovering what some HS programs and parents have already discovered. There is a product, there is a need, it is being done well, it is being trained well, it can be implemented by the school system, it can be further trained by club in the off season, it is healthy from an exercise point of view and can be a productive, team atmosphere way of filling up the subteen and teen years. In one of my careers, marketing was a vocation. There is very little doubt with the elements created here, its a no brainer as to a success and growth of VB. What is surprising is that it has taken this long and discover the MS area of involvment for some areas. High Schools need to can some of the skills and enthusiasm of Middle School play with young parents.

Cumberland College in Lebanon recently had a MS Tournament with 16 teams and their gym was just about filled for 2 and one half days with parents and about 20 to 25 players a team. Names like Southside, Whitehouse, Mt. Julit Christian, Gallatin, Mt. Juliet Middle, Friendship Christian, Freedom, Carroll oakland, Macon county, Sycamore, Dickson, West Wilson, Lavergne, Portland and Smith County not all big school names competed against each other and did very well. Less than a month ago, Siegel High School sponsered a MS play day that played in 3 gyms and had many teams, some schools with two teams participating. Two weekends ago, another great tournament with 8 teams was held at Page Middle School with the same results, a full day of a gym filled up with players and fans from the Williamson and Rutherford area, large and small schools, but in addition, Jay from Impact drifting thru the crowd, a Club, and the BGA Middle School Team involved, whose High School Coach heads up a Second Club organization in Williamson County, very popular people. The skill of these teams were obvious and the matches were closely contested. Page, Brentwood Middle, BGA, Heritage, Dickson, Siegel, USN, and Christiana all put on a show.

Recently, it was interesting to hear that small schools would not be able to afford this sport. They are small town schools, or rural schools or schools in smaller population areas but Sycamore, Macon County, Christiana and a lot of other small population areas showed up, competed and did very well because the same elements of need was there. Dickson, a little larger and noted for parent involvement with kids, brought a contingent that would make a HS wish their involvement would be there "right now".

Brat looks at this from the angle of improving the game of AC and he is right. But the other angle is if this is done right, and you can debate extra training with club all day, or the extra training otherwise, there will be a quite large number of athletes or wannabees participate. It is a family sport with parents from all walks of life, able to meet with other parents just like them, in a "Stodgy Atmosphere", and enjoy their kids. As has been pointed out, the game at some levels is somewhat expensive but as the game grows, there will be ways to cut down on the expense which due to the expertise of play at higher levels has been better in other areas. Quality is in the pocketbooks of the beholder.

It is the AAU like model but now Grants or scholarships can be involved for those who excel thru HS.

Bratman, who I enjoy comes from Norris evidently. My assocoation with Norris, above Knoxville, was a smaller town with a company that provided law enforcement bullet proof vests. For that town to have a MS that would train VB Middle School players is amazing.

I tell you all of this to provide smaller HS as an area of growth that has been possibly overlooked. If Culleoka, Eagleville and Loretto can have competitive teams and even beat some AAA teams and they are not the well known names, even other small towns can play the game and Brat is right on and Anderson County may be strong forever.

Edited by PHargis

MS Feeder programs are key to strong HS programs. Our feeder schools (who shall remain nameless) do a less than stellar job preparing the kids to play in HS. In one of the middle schools, the coach changes yearly and often is just a warm body with no background or knowledge of the game. I spent a year as scorekeeper in an attempt to help the coach learn the sport. After every foul he would whisper "what was that?" or "i didn't know that". He's not the coach this year, another random body has replaced him. The alternative, of course, is that we don't have a MS team at all if they can't recruit a coach. Our county does not allow non-employees to coach so we are left with teachers, bus drivers, janitors, etc. who want the extra stipend but have no experience with the game.

It wasn't always that way but has been for the last 3 or 4 years. It means that our freshman start from scratch unless they have been involved with a club program prior to starting HS.

MS Feeder programs are key to strong HS programs. Our feeder schools (who shall remain nameless) do a less than stellar job preparing the kids to play in HS. In one of the middle schools, the coach changes yearly and often is just a warm body with no background or knowledge of the game. I spent a year as scorekeeper in an attempt to help the coach learn the sport. After every foul he would whisper "what was that?" or "i didn't know that". He's not the coach this year, another random body has replaced him. The alternative, of course, is that we don't have a MS team at all if they can't recruit a coach. Our county does not allow non-employees to coach so we are left with teachers, bus drivers, janitors, etc. who want the extra stipend but have no experience with the game.

It wasn't always that way but has been for the last 3 or 4 years. It means that our freshman start from scratch unless they have been involved with a club program prior to starting HS.

Some of the Middle schools in Hamilton county have the HS coach as their coach. For example, my daughter has played for the same coach the last 7 VB seasons! I give our coach a lot of credit for coaching both. And without much help, due to school funding issues, it can be pretty demanding.

Edited by VballDaddy78

Some of the Middle schools in Hamilton county have the HS coach as their coach. For example, my daughter has played for the same coach the last 7 VB seasons! I give our coach a lot of credit because she goes right from the HS season straight into Middle school, with no break whatsoever. And without much help, due to school funding issues, it can be pretty demanding.

Your middle school season must be different from ours. Our middle school season starts Aug 1 same as our HS season. I think the parochial schools have the right idea, their middle school season is in the spring.

Your middle school season must be different from ours. Our middle school season starts Aug 1 same as our HS season. I think the parochial schools have the right idea, their middle school season is in the spring.

You just made me have to go back and edit my post because you are correct. MS season in Hamilton County starts right after Christmas break. I was geting cinfused because my daughter played BBall in MS and she was the one that went straight into the "next season". Sorry about that. Still big props for our coach :P

That would be a difficult situation and from your posts I know the area you are in. Hiring teachers initially which would include someone or two with background in VB would be a good start. Starting a good Booster Club which might provide some avenue of funds with fundraising might be a second suggestion. Always starting from scratch is hard but it can be done. Providing volunteers as you have done, is the third avenue of thought.

As you know, and are very perceptive about, a lot of this is about putting people in seats and attending matches so a volunteer group can run concessions. This takes a good parent organizer and really a top notch Principal that will make suggestions because as you know it takes all of the help one can have. Having numerous players and teams and playing schedules helps with parent body help and generates excitement. Looking to the future, organizing a booster club with a possible future leader when the current leaders move on is a consideration that definitely needs to be done. This means at least a few years of hard lifting but once the ball starts rolling and everything and everybody works, as you have seen in the past, it can work.

It is very likely the first paragraph would go a long way to providing an answer however, your county according to Newspaper Reports has added teachers to some middle schools and has added VB as a possible after school program to help schools for some other reasons. Other counties, it has been reported, in Middle Tennessee have done the same. Communication as to what is happening within the school system would help and as you have stated, being proactive, is going to be some help. Since this has been widely reported within the ls 30 days, the organizing part of this probably in the thought stage.

Hope there are some possible thoughts here.

Edited by PHargis

Announcements

• Recent Posts