Who should win the AL MVP?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Look the name of the award is the "American League Most Valuable Player" and I am tired of hearing how you have to be on a winning team or that a guy is more valuable to his team than this guy. Well that is why each team has an award for Most Valuable Player. The League MVP should be just that. Who was the best in the League. Do you really think Justin Morneau is better than Big Papi or Derek Jeter? Which player would you honestly rather have?Justin was not even the best player on his team, Joe Mauer was. The Red Sox had a disappointing year but does anybody's stats come close to Big Papi and where do you think the Red Sox would have finished without all the walk off hits he had. I know you guys will give me th D.H. argument but come on Justin plays first base. Is this a key position like catcher or shortstop? If anyone on this thread tries to tell me that statistically Justin is better for his team or the League than David Ortiz then I will not respect your baseball knowledge. Besides statistics who is better in the clutch than Ortiz? There is not one Major League Manager that would take Justin over Ortiz in a draft even Gardenhire. This MVP voting has been a sham for years and will continue to be as long as people who have never played the game continue to vote on these things. It is a joke. I mean Willie Hernandez, Rollie Fingers, Terry Pendleton, Barry Larkin, Mo Vaughn, Sammie Sosa (beat Maguire in 98 when Mack set record with 70hrs), And lets give the award to "Barry I do not use steroids Bonds" every chance we can. Does anybody hear what I am saying? Does this compute? Justin Morneau don't make me puke. :lol:

Look the name of the award is the "American League Most Valuable Player" and I am tired of hearing how you have to be on a winning team or that a guy is more valuable to his team than this guy. Well that is why each team has an award for Most Valuable Player. The League MVP should be just that. Who was the best in the League. Do you really think Justin Morneau is better than Big Papi or Derek Jeter? Which player would you honestly rather have?Justin was not even the best player on his team, Joe Mauer was. The Red Sox had a disappointing year but does anybody's stats come close to Big Papi and where do you think the Red Sox would have finished without all the walk off hits he had. I know you guys will give me th D.H. argument but come on Justin plays first base. Is this a key position like catcher or shortstop? If anyone on this thread tries to tell me that statistically Justin is better for his team or the League than David Ortiz then I will not respect your baseball knowledge. Besides statistics who is better in the clutch than Ortiz? There is not one Major League Manager that would take Justin over Ortiz in a draft even Gardenhire. This MVP voting has been a sham for years and will continue to be as long as people who have never played the game continue to vote on these things. It is a joke. I mean Willie Hernandez, Rollie Fingers, Terry Pendleton, Barry Larkin, Mo Vaughn, Sammie Sosa (beat Maguire in 98 when Mack set record with 70hrs), And lets give the award to "Barry I do not use steroids Bonds" every chance we can. Does anybody hear what I am saying? Does this compute? Justin Morneau don't make me puke. :angry:

Wasn't Ortiz with the Twins before being released back in '03 or '04?

Wasn't Ortiz with the Twins before being released back in '03 or '04?

I know where you are going with this and it does not hold water. Ortiz signed with the Red Sox in 03 and in the second half of that year established himself as formidable threat in the Red Sox lineup and as they say the rest is history. The obviously shows the scouting talent of the twins is not very good but that happens to all teams. The Red Sox traded Curt Schilling, Jeff Bagwell, and others through the years. It is a part of the game and I would say the Twins made a big mistake dont you Bledsoetheboys? :D

Yes he is deserving but I think his teammate Joe Mauer should have won the award... :)

That is right Mauer won a batting title while playing the most difficult position. Morneau deserved some votes but he did not deserve to win. I could live with Jeter winning but like I said until they change the voting process these descrepences will continue to come up i.e. Rafael Palemero winning a Gold Glove mind you while playing half of his games at DH a few years ago. :thumb: What a joke!

I know where you are going with this and it does not hold water. Ortiz signed with the Red Sox in 03 and in the second half of that year established himself as formidable threat in the Red Sox lineup and as they say the rest is history. The obviously shows the scouting talent of the twins is not very good but that happens to all teams. The Red Sox traded Curt Schilling, Jeff Bagwell, and others through the years. It is a part of the game and I would say the Twins made a big mistake dont you Bledsoetheboys? :thumb:

Of course it was a big mistake but everybody makes them.....