FCS vs. Clay Co

FCSpoe

I have been trying to put this thread to rest for what seems like weeks by now. I will say it again, I unlike my other FCS fans, think that the coach's did run up the score a little bit. I don't know why, but i do agree with you that i feel they did. But i will say that when the ball didn't cross FCS's forty yard line until late in the third when it was Clay Co varsity vs FCS jv it would be hard to keep the score down. And just to get your facts straight, rickaway actually scored Touchdowns 6-7-8. The first one was alsup, second was markham, third was alsup, forth was markham, fifth was mcknight (interception) and then 6-7-8 was rickaway. Three touchdowns on only 4 carries for 69 yards.

FC had around 280 yards in total offense for this game and Rickaway carried 4 times for 69 yards after sitting out the entire 1st quarter for disciplinary reasons. Rickaway has worked his tail off to become a possible candidate for Mr. Football in 1A for the past 2 years. McNeal has a responsibility to his kids (like Rickaway) and his program to coach and develop his team for what is hopefully a State Chmp. run. With that being said the score was 69-0 at half and if Mc had wanted to score more he easily could have by just putting back in his 2nd team which obviously had no problem scoring in the first half as opposed to an all freshman lineup.

Fact is Mc played almost exclusively Freshmen and Soph's the entire 2nd - 4th quarters but those kids are players too. FC is building a football program and they've been on the other side of some of these games in years prior at the hands of programs like TC, CPA, Gordonsville, etc. Mc didn't cry about it, he just worked on getting his team and program better. The next few years should show just how hard Mc & Lowe have worked and some of those guys who have handed it to them in the past might want to worry about getting it handed back to them in the years to come. B)

FC doesn't pay Mc to worry about coaching his opponents team's just FC's!! B)

Edited by Volzchamps

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well said Volzchamps. When the starting offense runs 14 offensive plays, with one being a pass, there is not much that can be said. Well, there is obviously things that can be said, but not by a rational observer that was at the game in my opinion. Good luck Clay on the rest of your season and hopefully the Commanders will continue to improve as well.

FC had around 280 yards in total offense for this game and Rickaway carried 4 times for 69 yards after sitting out the entire 1st quarter for disciplinary reasons. Rickaway has worked his tail off to become a possible candidate for Mr. Football in 1A for the past 2 years. McNeal has a responsibility to his kids (like Rickaway) and his program to coach and develop his team for what is hopefully a State Chmp. run. With that being said the score was 69-0 at half and if Mc had wanted to score more he easily could have by just putting back in his 2nd team which obviously had no problem scoring in the first half as opposed to an all freshman lineup.

Fact is Mc played almost exclusively Freshmen and Soph's the entire 2nd - 4th quarters but those kids are players too. FC is building a football program and they've been on the other side of some of these games in years prior at the hands of programs like TC, CPA, Gordonsville, etc. Mc didn't cry about it, he just worked on getting his team and program better. The next few years should show just how hard Mc & Lowe have worked and some of those guys who have handed it to them in the past might want to worry about getting it handed back to them in the years to come. :lol:

FC doesn't pay Mc to worry about coaching his opponents team's just FC's!! :thumb:

From where I saw it, there is obviously some underlying ethics issues here with the football team. Yes, everyone deserved to play. This includes Rickaway. However, part of his punishment should be to realize his best opportunity for brownie points in the Mr. Football competition should have been in the first quarter. What lesson did he learn? None. He still got his token carries that he would have gotten in the first half. I agree that he should have been able to carry the football for touchdown #5 and #6, but when the score was already 49-0 his night should have been through whether 3 carries or 30 carries. Providing the fourth carry or possibly more (that didn't happen) was simply running the score up (period).

Did Rickaway truly get punished? If he is truly a Mr. Football candidate, then he should be judged on the big games against formidable opponents. 4 carries with only 69 yards is not Mr. Football caliber #'s. If McNeil was trying to develop Rickaway for a Mr. Football, then he should have allowed him the opportunity to score even more. Football is a team sport, to win a state championship FC will need Rickaway. That fourth carry could have been like the Bush kid from Louisville when the Cardinals were up 35-0. What if Rickaway would have been given the ball for touchdown #7? It could have been his arm instead of the fullback. What's more important? Rickaway's Mr. Football or State Championship?

Edited by The Bull

It's about quality, not quantity.

Well let us know when the quality begins because so far it seems like alot of dribble from someone who got spanked and didn't like the taste of it!

I know now why you chose the username of Bull! It seems to flow forth from all six of your post!

As for Rickaway, he's a jr. this year so get used to seeing alot more of him along with that other jr. alsup who scored nearly every time he touched it and that lil freshman Markham who scored every time as well.

Sounds like bad news for bull!

Well let us know when the quality begins because so far it seems like alot of dribble from someone who got spanked and didn't like the taste of it!

I know now why you chose the username of Bull! It seems to flow forth from all six of your post!

As for Rickaway, he's a jr. this year so get used to seeing alot more of him along with that other jr. alsup who scored nearly every time he touched it and that lil freshman Markham who scored every time as well.

Sounds like bad news for bull!

First of all, it's "The Bull", and I've been off the milk for a long while. Just now moved into this pasture, got a taste of "IT", and think I'll be making my rounds around the herd.

Looks like it's our time to move to the private leagues. After all, we did beat defending state champion DA. If it's all about exposure and notoriety, then we should push for our team to play against the elite teams that regulary send players to Division I. That way, our former players, i.e. QB's, know how to handle more than po-dunk-marys and getting it handed to us by local league favorites every year. Maybe then our boys can have a better opportunity as a whole to produce at the next level. For instance, just look at DCA's Patrick Turner who is one of the key WR's for periennial powerhouse USC, or maybe Ryan Karl from BGA who starts at LB for UT. I'm sorry, The Bull likes to get knee deep in it every chance he gets, not just step in the patty every once in a while. Competion every week is definitely more exciting than what we saw this past week at Pirtle.

Don't get to close "Volzchamp", because The Bull likes to Kick'em in the Volz.

and to keep your facts straight... Rickaway scored touchdowns 6-7-9. The fullback injued his arm on touchdown #8

Bull here are the facts

Fact #1 Turner played at Goodpasture not DCA.

I do not know why Poe thinks this was a run up score. He played in our line last year and should know who the starters are. At the 7 minute mark of the first quarter it was 28 to 0. The JV finished out the first quarter. The starters played for the first few series of the second quarter. Rickaway scored touchdown 5,7,8 Preston the fuullback scored #6. Peyton Alsup scored #9 and Mcknight interception was #10 with around a minute to go in the first half. Chaffin a sophomore defensive lineman scored the last touchdown.

A run up score would have been if we continued to try and score after a 69-0 halftime score. Poe you seem to be conected get the tape, the starting offensive unit played 14 downs on Friday. We attempted one pass all night. The third and fourth quarters were runs up the middle by jv and freshman players and everyone knew what the plays were going to be.

Here are the facts as clear as they can be and hopefully this will put this to bed.

Clay Co. 0 0 0 6 0 6

Friendship 28 41 0 7 0 76

Scoring summary

F- John Markham 9 run (Beau Baker kick). F- Bryant Alsup 15 run (Baker kick). F- Markham 32 run (Baker kick). F- Bryant Alsup 51 run (Baker kick). F- Jeremy Rickaway 1 run (Baker kick). F- Rickaway 9 run (Baker kick). F- Robbie Preston 2 run (Baker kick). F- Rickaway 26 run (Alex Jackson kick). F- Peyton Alsup 2 run (Jackson kick). F- Garrett McKnight 20 yard interception return (kick failed). F- Jordan Chaffin 40 fumble return (Jackson kick). C- Trey Richardson 2 run (run failed).

Game statistics

First downs Rushes Passing Pass yards Fumbles Punts Penalties

Clay Co. 7 41-96 5-18-3 3 7-2 5-11.0 3-25

Friendship 7 36-295 0-1-0 0 3-0 1-17.0 7-45

Individual statistics

Friendship

Rushing

Bryant Alsup 4-83, 2 TD

Payton Alsup 5-11, 1 TD

Lee Maasen 1-0

John Markham 3-63, 2 TD

Mitch Miller 7-49

Robby Preston 4-36, 1 TD

Jeremy Rickaway 5-58, 3 TD

Jake Russel 4-7

Parker Teeter 3--2

Passing (CMP-ATT-INT-YDS)

Jon Miller 0-1-0-0

Punting

Payton Alsup 1-17.0

Clay Co.

Rushing

Scott Brown 8-29

Ray Cherry 5-2

Nolan Dale 8-19

Trey Richardson 18-65

Jesse Shirley 2--19

Passing (CMP-ATT-INT-YDS)

David Bailey 1-5-1--3

Nolan Dale 4-13-2-5

Receiving

Parker Donaldson 1-7

Trey Richardson 4--4

Punting

Jesse Shirley 5-11.0

Bull here are the facts

I do not know why Poe thinks this was a run up score. He played in our line last year and should know who the starters are. At the 7 minute mark of the first quarter it was 28 to 0. The JV finished out the first quarter. The starters played for the first few series of the second quarter. Rickaway scored touchdown 5,7,8 Preston the fuullback scored #6. Peyton Alsup scored #9 and Mcknight interception was #10 with around a minute to go in the first half. Chaffin a sophomore defensive lineman scored the last touchdown.

A run up score would have been if we continued to try and score after a 69-0 halftime score. Poe you seem to be conected get the tape, the starting offensive unit played 14 downs on Friday. We attempted one pass all night. The third and fourth quarters were runs up the middle by jv and freshman players and everyone knew what the plays were going to be.

I really must be dumber than i thought i was. This is the second time in a week i have had to eat my own foot. I guess i just felt sorry for Clay Co or something. I don't know why but i thought that there were ALOT more plays ran by the starters. It did appear as though FCS ran up the score but these stats seem to tell otherwise. First i said TC was gonna kill watertown and now i get to eat foot on this too. Were there really only 14 plays by the starting O??.... i really thought it was more.

Bull here are the facts

Rickaway scored touchdown 5,7,8 Preston the fuullback scored #6.

Glad to get back to football talk, but without doubt, I still believe that Coach McNeil should have used the high score as part of Rickaway's punishment. Part of the consecuences of sitting out the first quarter should be that he missed his opportunity to play what he could have played. Ultimately he should have scored the first 4 touchdowns, but he was not in at that time. His loss. Mc should have used better judgement in teaching this player better life lessons.