William Blount at Ooltewah

TG24

I think the Govs are in for a rough 2 weeks, the Owls will bring your heads out of the clouds and next week Maryville will teach you what speed , defence and ofence rushing and passing is all about . Congrads on being unbeaten so far but by the end of the season WB will again be fighting with Heritage ,Bradley,and Mcminn for the cellar of the region. hope you all enjoyed it while it lasted

You've got to be kidding. "Fighting with Heritage, Bradley and McMinn for the cellar"?? You're smoking dope.

I agree that WB is heading for a rough 2 weeks. Actually 3 or 4, when you count Farragut at their home, and a sure-to-rebound Oak Ridge at WB.

In all truthfulness, this week's game with Ooltewah will be a very good battle. I look for the Owls to see a very tough defense and an outstanding kicking game. The offense is a dichotomy ... running is great, passing is not (although they have shown promise in this department).

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No stopping now: William Blount ready to keep rolling, winning

Wes Hope/The Daily Times

William Blount’s Will Irwin hits Soddy-Daisy running back Bubbay Haney during the Governors’ win Sept. 1.

By Lauren Byrd

of The Daily Times Staff

And the hits just keep coming.

William Blount may have started the season at 3-0, but it can't afford to take a breather.

Even though the Govs did not have a game scheduled last week, you can bet they were preparing for the three-game streak that consists of contests against Ooltewah, Maryville and Farragut — all on the road.

"This week's game is huge," Meadows said of Friday's face-off with Ooltewah, which boasts a 4-0 record.

"Both teams are undefeated, obviously, and it's even more important because we're both competing for that number one spot, the driver's seat in the region."

Although William Blount touts the Walker brothers on offense, the Gov defense is much improved, holding Clarksville NW and Soddy-Daisy scoreless in the last two games. The defense also kept a Sevier County team in check with just 12 points, allowing the Govs to get revenge on the squad that knocked them out of their first state playoff berth since 2001.

"I loved that," junior linebacker Will Irwin said of the Sevier County win. "It was great."

Irwin has stepped up for the Govs' defense, tallying 32 tackles, including 19 solo, so far this season. When asked what has changed this year, Irwin pointed to an overall mental adjustment.

"Everyone's attitude has changed. We expect to win now, so that makes a big difference," Irwin said.

Irwin has been playing football since he was 8, and his smaller size — 5-foot-10, 185 pounds — doesn't hinder him in shutting down opponents' offenses.

"He's not big in stature," Meadows said. "But he makes up for it in his heart, his want to play. He's a very physical player."

A member of the varsity squad since his freshman year, Irwin was recognized as a very good player from the start, Meadows said.

"We always knew he was (a good player), but he has really stepped his game up," Meadows said. "He's really elevated his game to the next level."

Irwin gives a lot of credit to his teammates.

"We're playing as a team. Everyone is doing their job, keeping blockers off the linebackers and outside backers turning back in," Irwin said. "The pass coverage is good."

With an open date last Friday, William Blount players were back at work Tuesday afternoon, some staying to catch passes or run plays even after practice was over.

"It's a tough game," Irwin said of Ooltewah. "But if we play hard and do what we're supposed to do, we'll come out on top."

Friday will be Meadows' third trip to Ooltewah and he knows what to expect.

"It will be a tough place to play," Meadows said. "But the guys are working hard this week and I think we'll be ready to play."

Last modified: September 14. 2006 1:46AM

This one is going to be the game of the year for the second year in a row. I believe both teams are underestimating each other.

The game will be on AM 1400 and AM 850 for those who cant make it.

I hope to make it but if i cant i will be listening to the Govs Radio crew.

Prediction on the game..

WB 17 OHS 14 long FG with less than a min. to go.

Good luck both teams, play hard, and leave it on the field.

This one is going to be the game of the year for the second year in a row. I believe both teams are underestimating each other.

The game will be on AM 1400 and AM 850 for those who cant make it.

I hope to make it but if i cant i will be listening to the Govs Radio crew.

Prediction on the game..

WB 17 OHS 14 long FG with less than a min. to go.

Good luck both teams, play hard, and leave it on the field.

i wouldn't call last years game the game of the year either

Oddly enough, I think the William Blount fans seem to be more biased about this.

But of course, that's the most biased thing I could say.

Fact is, from what I've seen at school this week, this is definately the first game the students have actually cared about. I've actually heard people talking about the game while walking through the halls.

So at least we'll actually have some cheering.

I don't think it will be that great of a game though. One way or the other by ten at least. Gotta go with my team though.

Oh, and Ooltewah will definately score three TDs. I think they're just too talented to not to. Even on like, Oak Ridge. I'm pretty sure 90 on Central would've been possible.

All good points, but I think the WB fans are underestimating a very good and young Ooltewah team. Their defense is vastly improved over last year, and they can play with anyone. This is probably going to be the most unpredictable year in 2-5A in a very long time. This game is essential for both these teams if they have any title aspirations. I don't know whose year it is, but there better not be any underestimating on either side, or somebody is going to get spanked. And that could go either way.

I am sure both coaches will have their teams prepared, and although Chattanooga is generally ignoring this game because Brentwood academy is also traveling to McCallie Friday night, this could be one of the best games in the state this week. Talent wise--both teams seem to be bringing quite a bit to the field. The winner becomes one of the favorites to challenge Oak Ridge and Farragut for the title. The loser is going to have a tough time winning the region.

I think very highly of the Owls, and their talented team this year. They are one of the top 10 teams in the state, for sure. I agree with you, they can give any team in the state a run for their money. This is one of the two biggest games of the year in Region 2-5A. The winner of this one looks to hold a pretty good chunk of the drivers seat, with either one of these teams capable of beating OR this year. The winner of this game wins the Region.

Ooltewah may have a little more "talent" and speed than WB, but, this one will be close. Defense wins championships, and WB's defense is rock-solid. I am not underestimating Ooltewah in any way. I think that we will have a VERY tough time beating the Owls. They are young, very fast, talented, and they are pumped up for this one. This game is going to be BIG. How much does Ooltewah have seating wise? I want to get a good one for this game! :rolleyes:

6:30... gotta watch warm-ups.... What kind of defense does WB run?

6:30 it is! :rolleyes:

We should all wear CoachT nametags :thumb:

WB varies in its defensive schemes, they run some 4-4, which is pretty tough, with Irwin, Lail, Brackett, and Brown as LB's and the Walkers on the DE's.