Red Boiling Springs

Gerry Bertier

After the Tennessean ran an article on RBS, ESPN mentioned them on the Page 2 section of ESPN.com. Here is what was written

A reader questioned the newspaper's decision to profile the losing streak of a high school team and ESPN responded with: "… the story made me admire the players and coaches of Red Boiling Springs. No special qualities are required to play on a stacked winning team; no fortitude needed to take the field among superior teammates, knowing victory is likely. To keep trying after 40 straight losses is extraordinary ... Players and coaches of Red Boiling Springs — ESPN salutes you!''

I say I have to agree with ESPN. Great Jobs Guys!! :ph34r:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shows that maybe their is more than just WINNING now a day seems coaches and parents think that is all that matters well its not!!!! Having fun and just playing a game that is all that matters and I bet they have as much fun as any of the other teams that win 1 or 10 games!!! Hey they wrote about RBS in ESPN how many other teams wish they had been in ESPN magazine? Way to go RBS just keep playing the game and having fun!!! :thumb:

Shows that maybe their is more than just WINNING now a day seems coaches and parents think that is all that matters well its not!!!! Having fun and just playing a game that is all that matters and I bet they have as much fun as any of the other teams that win 1 or 10 games!!! Hey they wrote about RBS in ESPN how many other teams wish they had been in ESPN magazine? Way to go RBS just keep playing the game and having fun!!! :(

I totally agree that these kids have some serious heart and that will serve them well in life. High school is indeed about playing for the love of the game. That's really the foundation( or should be anyway) of an level of competative sport.

That said, let's not go over-board. I really,really doubt anybody on any team, coaches or players, have as much fun going 1-10 as a team that goes 10-1.

Still, I like the mesage. Keep at it. Eventually the right things can come together for these guys and all starts with that "never give up" attitude.

I had a front-row seat to the RBS Football program in years past and I can vouch that this team DOES have heart and a love for the game. Sure, winning is the goal...but having fun and truly loving what you do--win or lose--is the key. I think that RBS will eventually be the team everyone talks about (and not for their losing streak). They have the loyalty of members of a close knit community. All they need is time to get things straight, and become a winning team. Good luck the rest of your season guys! Go Bulldogs! :)

I coach a team in mississippi and we are very middle of the road with great athletes but our guys are selfish and self centered always wanting the spot light i wish our guys would play like you guys have described from a coaches stand point i t hink it is better to coach as team with heart and guts than with selfishness and no heart i would die to coach at a place like that