Crockett Co. - Dyersburg

cavcav

you are correct in many ways but the last loaded season before counce came was in the 70's,,, my daughter was in school when the trojans went 13-1in 97 and the state gazett published that team was the best since the 50's team that worley played on,,,so come on man dyersburg was like crockett use to be,, they were everyones homecomming,,,,MG i knew you would figure me out :thumb:

A bit about Dyersburg's football past, to set the record straight (or at least, straighter). In the 1940's and 1950's, Dyersburg was a football power in the Big Ten Conference, which consisted of the top West Tennessee schools. No playoff system in those days, and the Big Ten championship on Thanksgiving day was the culmination of the season. Phil King was the best running back Dyersburg ever produced--6 feet 4, 225 lbs, probably about 10.0 in the 100 yard dash (Nobody had started to time 40's in those days.) King was all SEC at Vanderbilt, later played pro with the Giants and Vikings and earned a Super Bowl ring.

In the early to mid---1960's, the program declined. In the late 1960's, the program rallied again and produced winning records for three seasons, then foundered. Bobby Newby became coach in the early 1970's, and Dyersburg rebuilt.

The 1974 team was as good as we've ever had. It featured many fine players, including: James Patrick, who set the state rushing record that was not broken for 21 years, Ed Parrish, who started at Vanderbilt (both these guys starting in the same backfield), Sammy Gauldin on defense, some fellow you may have heard of named Jimmy Noonan, who started for two seasons with Tennessee and made all-SEC, a 225 lb. TE/DE named Hank Woodward, a fine LB who played at Southwestern (Rhodes) named Philip Mischke, who is one of my all time favorite

Trojans. This team went 12-1 and lost to Father Ryan in the semifinals. Ryan wen on and won the state. The most impressive thing was our schedule that year. For those of you who complain about schedules, weak teams, "breather" games or whatever you want to call them, listen to this 1974 schedule when we were 4-A and went 12-1:: MARYVILLE (We beat them at their place in the season opener), COVINGTON, JCM, HAYWOOD, MUS, GERMANTOWN, RIPLEY, MILAN, HUMBOLDT and a couple of others. Try that on if you're looking for a difficult schedule. We lost only to MUS until the playoffs.

After Newby, there was a decline and an unfortunate pattern was established: several losing seasons, then one or two winning, then a relapse. The 1991 team was one of very good ones.

Counce came in and we have had the longest period of good football in our history, but by no means the first. I think it is very dangerous to compare sports teams from different eras because the nature of the games change. Talent-wise, I would say the 1974 team had the most talent, the 1967 team was the most motivated and determined, but whether they would compare with some of the teams of the past 10 years, no one can say. I suspect that defensively they were better but, offensively, not as fast or as dangerous. However, it should be noted that it is more difficult to be superior on defense these days, because of the changed rules and the wide-open formation and the development of high school passing attacks.

People will argue endlessly about the merits of teams from different eras. That is a good thing. They will never reach an agreement. That's a good thing, too.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are correct in many ways but the last loaded season before counce came was in the 70's,,, my daughter was in school when the trojans went 13-1in 97 and the state gazett published that team was the best since the 50's team that worley played on,,,so come on man dyersburg was like crockett use to be,, they were everyones homecomming,,,,MG i knew you would figure me out :thumb:

Consider the source of your info. :thumb:

well............. wered everybody go this topic kinda feel dead lol :thumb:

Alright then, instead of talking teams lets talk individual players. Here are my picks for friday nite:

CROCKETT

Stud-Jarvis Perry, rb/lb, #32. Doesn't sound as though we can win a track meet with the trojans, so the big hoss better be ready to be fed the ball friday night. He was tough for dburg to stop last year. Will an offseason spent in the weightroom make him an even bigger factor? I forsee 150 yds and 2-3 tds.

Dud-Craig Massey, qb, #10. In the two biggest games he has played, massey has thrown ten interceptions. Anybody can air it out when they're up by thirty. Can massey come through in the clutch this time?

Sleeper-Donald White, og/dt, #71. An amazingly quick package of size and power, white is a tough assignment for anyone to draw. And he always plays his best in big games. Look for ten tackles, two in the backfield, and a fumble forced.

And for DYERSBURG

Stud-Antonio Taylor, qb. I think the trojans biggest advantage will be through the air. Taylor is a double threat, so we will need to keep him contained and make sure we get enough of a rush to make him sweat. If not we could have trouble.

Dud-Dyersburg d-line. I think we have an advantage when our offensive line is on the field. We somewhat were able to run on the trojans last year, and though our backs only need a small crease, most of the time our guys are able to open a muc larger hole. Rank, jones, archuleta, white, mosier and co. deserve lots of respect.

Sleeper-Ronnie Mitchell, wr. I think that's his name. Dyersburg has big play potential and this guy combined with taylor could torch us if we don't keep an eye on him all nite long.

Let me hear what ya'll think.

Alright then, instead of talking teams lets talk individual players. Here are my picks for friday nite:

CROCKETT

Stud-Jarvis Perry, rb/lb, #32. Doesn't sound as though we can win a track meet with the trojans, so the big hoss better be ready to be fed the ball friday night. He was tough for dburg to stop last year. Will an offseason spent in the weightroom make him an even bigger factor? I forsee 150 yds and 2-3 tds.

Dud-Craig Massey, qb, #10. In the two biggest games he has played, massey has thrown ten interceptions. Anybody can air it out when they're up by thirty. Can massey come through in the clutch this time?

Sleeper-Donald White, og/dt, #71. An amazingly quick package of size and power, white is a tough assignment for anyone to draw. And he always plays his best in big games. Look for ten tackles, two in the backfield, and a fumble forced.

And for DYERSBURG

Stud-Antonio Taylor, qb. I think the trojans biggest advantage will be through the air. Taylor is a double threat, so we will need to keep him contained and make sure we get enough of a rush to make him sweat. If not we could have trouble.

Dud-Dyersburg d-line. I think we have an advantage when our offensive line is on the field. We somewhat were able to run on the trojans last year, and though our backs only need a small crease, most of the time our guys are able to open a muc larger hole. Rank, jones, archuleta, white, mosier and co. deserve lots of respect.

Sleeper-Ronnie Mitchell, wr. I think that's his name. Dyersburg has big play potential and this guy combined with taylor could torch us if we don't keep an eye on him all nite long.

Well said.. im especially with u on massey can he perform under all this preausure???? I sure hope so but 10 intercepetions........... :thumb: him holdin up in the game could be a big factor wither we win or lose!!!

I know all of you. :thumb: Well not really, but I do know MG. He used to harrass the crap out of high school kids on weekends. I hope he is still doing it now as it kept a lot of us kids out of trouble that we couldn't comprehend at the time. As of then I thought I never would have said this but thanks MG. ;)

high school sports fan- I still haven't pegged you yet but maybe someday.

I was on Coach Hooks last hoorah 1991 trojan team as a senior. Back when football was tough. :thumb: Great season we had that year and I think thats when new life was put back in Trojan football. BTW: the 1991 trojans could have whipped either one of these teams but that is beside the point.

hmmmmm, got me wondering who ya are.....does your mom and dad live up the road behind the front 9, or in other words was it your dad who was inducted into the UTM Hall of Fame?

CROCKETT

And for DYERSBURG

see, this is how we should talk about the big match-up between two of the best teams in west tennessee.....

by the way...it is rashad taylor..... and a question....why taylor over caldwell as the stud?

also regarding the dud - i agree that dyersburg's front on d has been very questionable...... i do know they they have a lot of speed for their size, but so far this season, there has been only bright spots....

ohwell , i guess we will see how they do friday night....

Edited by mg

Crockett wins by six. I don't think they can stop our run. caldwell didn't rush for 200+ against Ripley

see there.....i knew it would not last......another pointless prediction based on horse hockey........

i am not sure that oj simpson could run for 200+ on ripley's

defense....... and oj outran "justice".......

it is obvious that your comment was an uneducated post because if you have seen the ripley "d", then you would not have made that stupid statement......

we are way over medicating society..........

Edited by mg

So t is here

At the beginning of the season everyone in West Tennessee was hoping that both teams would make it to this game.

The bad thing is out of 8 pages I have only heard 8 real serious opinions on this game No one cares about your glory days playin for either school, who is runnin up the scores for who. ETC

Also for you putting your opinions out there on either team dont talk about what u dont know. Some guy earlier gave his opinoin on DHS and didn't even kno the names of the players he was talking about and he didnt even mention Tyler Caldwell who is in the top 10 in rushing yards in the entire west TN area, that goes for all Classes from 1a to 5a...

Now to my pick and opinion.

Its wenesday and the game just keeps gettin closer and closer, It would be easy to make a "homer" pick and say D'burg but this one will be way to close for that.

Dyersburg is as fast as everyone thinks but I wouldn't just look at that as their strong point. People keep talking about the D-line and saying that its weak but not paying attention to the fact that when it matters our two All-state offensive linemen Cody Telenton and J.T Beasley are playing on the D-Line and are as good on D as the are offensively. and what they lack on line the more then make up for with Flether and Elam. I think that this defense is a little under-reated but I think that may be a good think, If any thing are secondary is very small but CCHS is not known for passing all that much and our DB's have made some big plays

Now everyone knows about the Trojans backfield. With a QB that can pass and run its very hard to predict when he is goin to pull it down. The FB Shane Miles is a beast racking up almost 100 yards in almost every game this year. Every one kow that Caldwell is the Number 1 HB this year but dont expect just him to shoulder the load with Mark Thompson also having a good amount of carres this year. And a freashman HB also having a TD last week. Dyersburg is sound on offense and can score on pretty much every play

CCHS offensively is almost as good. I have listened to most of there game and read almost every article you can find. Every preseason preview to every friday and saturday in the Jackson Sun Now the idea of them passin the ball is almost a joke with the receivers droppin consecutive TD last week and them handing the ball of almost 90 percent of the time...There QB does throw;but like a person unknown posted earlier he has thrown 10 picks in the big ones and I dont see any change. The QB is no real threat to run the football so keeping pressure on him will be a bid key. Now the backfield for CCHS is tremdously scary. In my opinion one of the best I have ever seen in High School football. They run a power T style and You really cant expect one body to get the ball consecutively. The Johnson and Johnson twins both are as fast as our backfield and can run with them just as well, and there fullback Jarvi Perry is just amazing. Defensively I know that the Cavs are very good the Johnson twins both play on D and are almost as good on that side of the ball. The -line is huge ad scary and will have to beat to the corner to be succesful. I dont see D'burg running for that many yards between tackle. The biggest thing goin for the Cavs is expierence. The bring back 16 or so startes from last year that is a big number. But that number makes me raise my head last year D'burg was up 42-7 when counce called off some of the starters. And giving the fact that Counce did a good job of keeping a wide range of players last year. Its almost the same two teams playing this year. A 21 one point lose to a team is never a mistake so I don't see that much of a improvement. This game may get out of hand but I seriously doubt it. Your probably looking at the game of the year even after its over. I have very seldom ever seen a counce team lose by more then ten. and one was to that team in Missouri so. I know its gon to be close and this probably eecides a lot region wise, but I think its D'burg game to lose. Coming into this region last year It was the same thing CCHS was ten times better and what happend. D'burg has only played to their potenial liek two or three quaters this season but when that did. U could tell who was the beter team and you could see what D'burg could do if they did play th best. I know their ready and i think it will be close but I will say D'burg by 7

if you have seen the ripley "d", then you would not have made that stupid statement...... well put mg ripley is better on d-fence than crockett, caldwell can be stoped, but you must catch him to stop him,,, and i agree with earlier post jarvis is dangerous,,, believe me the trojans know this,,, dyersburg has 2 allstate predicted linemen who will get 70% of their blocks handled friday,, can crockett win up front? i believe they will some. i dont believe they are as good on d-fence as ripley is, the differance in crockett and ripley is the o crockett has more tallent on O right now,, but notice that ripley is getting their O together,,,, dyersburg is the most talented team by far that crockett will have played this season,, i think there are more key matchups than with cherry mitchall... you have caldwell,thompson,miles,taylor,newsom, and fowler who are all dangerious,, and if it comes to dyersburg special teams look out,, fowler is punting the ball 50 yards consistantly, and yohmans has missed twice one field goal and 1 pat and both were bad snaps so look out if it comes to special teams... should be a good one,,, wish i could make it, i hope both teams remain injury free