Science Hill @ Sevier County

topvol98

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An repeat of last night with more athleticism. They have at quaterback the co-offensive mvp of the confrence last year and are very well coached. They lost their opener but have respended pretty well since then. They have outscored their opponents 69-0 the last two weeks. They may play on the biggest hump of an field that you will ever see. Standing at midfield and looking across to the other side line you can only see from the mid thigh up of the other team. They are well coach and are the last team this side of Knoxville to win the 5a state championship. They are usually very big up front with decent speed at the skill positions. They are a very big challenge.

SHHS needs to figure out a way to move the ball with more consistency. They (SHHS) have way too many weapons to be doing what they are doing. For the life of me I don't know why they didn't (last night) spread the field more and throw to receivers across the middle and run quarterback keepers. I see too much talent to not be moving up and down the field. SHHS has size, speed and balance. Coaches are going to have to get something going this week, because conference play starts this Friday!

One of the things I really don't like about the Science Hill having to play in this confrence, that there is really no connections to their opponents. You never know anything about the teams your playing because their papers aren't available and there is no crossing of the communities in your every day dealings.

One of the things I really don't like about the Science Hill having to play in this confrence, that there is really no connections to their opponents. You never know anything about the teams your playing because their papers aren't available and there is no crossing of the communities in your every day dealings.

I agree . . . And also we don't have to travel 1 1/2 hrs or more to play. Its hard for me personally to get excited about playing a team that I know very little about nor does anyone I know have connections with the school. Teams like Sevier Co, Bearden and Campbell Co, I don’t know anyone associated with these schools.

But, I understand too that SHHS has 1,949 kids where most of the area schools have more or less than 1,000 kids, which for the most part puts them at a disadvantage. I remember when I played for Daniel Boone in the early 80’s we loved nothing more than to beat Science Hill and David Crockett. You seen the other kids around town and we always wanted to beat the rich city kids. lol…that was a long time ago and now I find myself rooting for those (not all of them rich) city kids.

When SC and SH first started playing the Bears saw it as a rivalry, I guess cause you had our number at first. SC fans are seeing this as our biggest home game this year so I know the people in Sevier County are excited about this one.

When SC and SH first started playing the Bears saw it as a rivalry, I guess cause you had our number at first. SC fans are seeing this as our biggest home game this year so I know the people in Sevier County are excited about this one.

That's good to hear. I know it will be a tough game for the Toppers this Friday.

I'm still a little puffy eyed this morning due to all the boo-whooing I did last night, lol. Man, I hate to lose! But, if we learn from it and become better, then it’s a good thing (I guess :thumb: )

But anyway . . . I haven't heard much about Sevier County. What is Science Hill looking at?

An repeat of last night with more athleticism. They have at quaterback the co-offensive mvp of the confrence last year and are very well coached. They lost their opener but have respended pretty well since then. They have outscored their opponents 69-0 the last two weeks. They may play on the biggest hump of an field that you will ever see. Standing at midfield and looking across to the other side line you can only see from the mid thigh up of the other team. They are well coach and are the last team this side of Knoxville to win the 5a state championship. They are usually very big up front with decent speed at the skill positions. They are a very big challenge.

SCHS probably has more skilled playmakers at their disposal this season then since their '99 state championship team. QB Corey Watson, WR's James Feezel, Trey Pippin, Running Backs Shawn Hodge and Taylor Thomas give the Bears a bevy of athletic weapons to choose from. Very balanced attack that lines up in multiple formations and can move the chains via the ground or air. More of a big play, finesse attack then a brusing three yards and a cloud of dust. However, they have one glaring weakness: Execution. For whatever reason, the offense has continually sputtered and shot itself in the foot repeatedly with numerous turnovers and penalties the entire season. For example, against South-Doyle we committed 16 penalties for over a 150 yards for the game with 6 of those being holding infractions in the first quarter alone! Combine that statistic with the 3 turnovers committed and it makes for a very fustrating experience knowing the potentiel that this offense has. Unfortunately, it appears that this problem will probably not get better anytime soon and has already cost us one game this year (Watson's fumble at the WB goal line).

Our offensive line is not as big overall as normal but they do a pretty good job of run and pass blocking. However, they will probably never be able to just line up and consistently knock people off the ball, especially against your better defensive fronts. It sounds like the Hilltopper D line should offer a stiff challenge.

On defense we aren't that big neither therefore we run a 3-5 defense to utilize our speed and quickness. Unlike the offense though, the stop unit has been far and away the most consistent part of the team all year. Both the running and passing defense has been solid.

The kicking game is average at best but has shown improvement since the debacle that was the WB game. The one drawback with this unit is that we will never be able to line up for a field goal of much length. We just don't have a competent field goal kicker with a descent leg.

Injuries: Our somewhat smallish D Line may have just taken another hit as one of our better lineman, Chad Henderson, suffered what appeared to be a serious knee injury against SD. Also RB Shawn Hodge didn't dress after an ankle injury that he suffered against Karns apparently wasn't healed enough to allow him to play. Status for Friday night is unknown.

After saying all of this it will be interesting to see how we fare against tougher competition. No offense to Halls, Karns and SD but our schedule has stunk. These are young teams that are rebuilding and it shows in their won/loss record (they have combined for ONE win between them). Needless to say this will be our toughest test since WB and is a crucial battle for hosting a home playoff game that I see coming down between SHHS, Bearden, JC and the Bears. It may not be a long standing rivalry but it is huge since it is against an upper echelon region foe that is capable of beating us.

Edited by SCBear