Maryville Football!

kobayashi

I am just a HS football fan. Not one of the regular posters of MHS football. But I can tell you this coaching staff has built a football dynasty. They have all of the elements in place for this to continue; good feeder program, outstanding coaches, great support, transfers(prospects are going to want to be a part of this), and a winning tradition.

I would like to see MHS play a regional powerhouse each year. I think they would win.

This is the best HS football program in Tennessee in any classification. No Question!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Maryville alum from many years ago who has lived out of state for a long time. I had lost touch with Maryville High football until I found CoachT and discovered this amazing record of success of the past several years.

I remember I thought it was a dynasty when Ted Wilson's teams won a state championship or two and then made it 2 or 3 games deep in the playoffs for several years.

Can anyone give a little history on Quarles -- where he came from, how long he has been at Maryville, how Maryville got lucky enough to have him, and how long he might stay around?

SI.com rated the best highschool football team from every state in the union and Maryville was rated as Tennessee's best. Also I seen a poll on this site that had Maryville ranked 8th in the southeastern part of the United States. I am an 89' graduate of Maryville and let's just say that program has come along ways since those dark days. No playoffs my senior year if you can believe that!

George Quarles played high school football at Jefferson County in the early to mid 80s. He went to Furman to play football. He was a starter on their 88 National Title team. He was a graduate assistant for Furman. He coached 1 year in Georgia,2 years in South Carolina until Tim Hammontree hired him as an assistant coach for Maryville in 1995.

Under Tim Hammontree Maryville ran the wingT. In 1996 Maryville started out 2-4. Midway through the season Maryville changed quarterbacks. Tim Hammontree let George Quarles install his system. The rest is history. Since 1997 Maryville is 125-11. Tim Hammontree left Maryville after 1998. Some assistants went with him.

George Quarles took over in 1999. He got off to a slow start. After his 1st 17 games Maryville was 10-7. Some fans were wondering if Quarles was the man for the job.Since his 17th game which was after the Halls game in 2000 and the 0-4 start. Maryville is 87-2. That record is amazing. Maryville beat some darn good teams like Alcoa,Central,Powell,MOWest,Red Bank,Hillsboro,Melrose,Cleveland,Memphis East and Tennessee High.

After Quarles started at Maryville he hired some great assistants. Jim Gaylor came from Clinton. Since Gaylor left Clinton. Clinton hasn't been the same. Quarles hired Wayne Thompson. Thompson is the strength and conditioning coordinator. Quarles also hired Joe Pinkerton who does a good job. Quarles brought up Mike White from Maryville Middle School and hired Joe Robinette. Everyone of those coaches are great. The last 2 years Mark Humphrey stepped down. His son n law Larry Walker took his spot. He is a very good coach. Another new coach is Jeremy Russell. George Quarles and David Ellis are the only coaches that coached with Hammontree on the 98 team.

The Maryville coaching staff is 2nd to none. The kids Maryville has had have been great. There have been some talented football players the last few years. But! The great thing about the kids that Maryville has had is they all buy into Quarles system. Those kids work their tail off. Those kids show up at 5:30 AM 4 days a week during the summer to work out. Those kids throw at least 2-3 days a week during the summer. When school starts most of them work out before classes start. Those kids are dedicated to Rebel Football. They have tremendous pride.

Maryville is very blessed to have the coaching staff that they have. Maryville has it going right now. From everything I hear George Quarles and his wife are very happy in Maryville. I also think Quarles could also get an offer he can't refuse also. You never really know how long George will stay. I hope him and that staff stay a very long time. I enjoy seeing Maryville win. I also know that when these coaches do leave Maryville will slip.

Thanks, Ron, for the all the detail. I was back home visiting in early August and saw those boys out there in the heat on a practice field where the old gym (and before that, old school) used to be. A lot of things have changed, but not the school spirit and pride Maryville always had.

Maryville ....you know anyone can coach a team LOADED with talent and it really is not that impressive when you beat up on teams year after year when you all recruit high school players. Just a thought.

You want to be impressive and proud of something then take a homegrown team without all the transfers and recruitments and take them to the playoffs.

Maryville ....you know anyone can coach a team LOADED with talent and it really is not that impressive when you beat up on teams year after year when you all recruit high school players. Just a thought.

You want to be impressive and proud of something then take a homegrown team without all the transfers and recruitments and take them to the playoffs.

Hater!!!

Rebelron, Great post. You're right Clinton has not been the same since Gaylor left. Also, I remember when coach Thompson was the DB coach at Oak Ridge on Bill Youngs staff. All the kids that played under him seemed to like him a lot.

As far as how good are they, I would say 5 out of 6 state championships in the last 6 years ain't bad.

Good luck the rest of the season. :thumb:

Edited by extremefury