Top keeper in the past 10 years? (Middle Tennessee)

RCola123

Cakes...it may be improving...that would be a good thing. You have teams because of the push by the club coaches for participation and the myth that you can't go play at a d1 level if you do not participate that is true to some degree - some schools only look at player resumes that have ODP on them somewhere or state champs or premier league, etc. . So , I don't think that is a myth at a certain level of soccer any more than a good highschool program will most likely like to have club players play for them instead of just players who play once a year....may help.....isn't required...there are too many examples of good college players never making it on the state or regional treams. My facts are straight....and as far as knowing what they're talking about....think I do....think you don't I am/have been a club coach, high school coach, college coach and odp coach -- I know what I'm talking about believe me. I'll bet the mortgage you are someone's Dad (which is okay) who's still mad about their kid getting cut...you just seem a little too defensive of something tha has been criticized for years, and foolish in your thoughts on club coaches and their influence. I'm not faulting the club coaches for their bias and the flaw in the system....I'm faulting a system that could/should be improved. Now I'm done ...I'm tired of repeating the same thing that you simply don't get or are too defensive to grasp....I'm not going to change it...and you obviously like a flawed system! Again, sounds like sour grapes !

Cakes...it may be improving...that would be a good thing. You have teams because of the push by the club coaches for participation and the myth that you can't go play at a d1 level if you do not participate that is true to some degree - some schools only look at player resumes that have ODP on them somewhere or state champs or premier league, etc. . So , I don't think that is a myth at a certain level of soccer any more than a good highschool program will most likely like to have club players play for them instead of just players who play once a year....may help.....isn't required...there are too many examples of good college players never making it on the state or regional treams. My facts are straight....and as far as knowing what they're talking about....think I do....think you don't I am/have been a club coach, high school coach, college coach and odp coach -- I know what I'm talking about believe me. I'll bet the mortgage you are someone's Dad (which is okay) who's still mad about their kid getting cut...you just seem a little too defensive of something tha has been criticized for years, and foolish in your thoughts on club coaches and their influence. I'm not faulting the club coaches for their bias and the flaw in the system....I'm faulting a system that could/should be improved. Now I'm done ...I'm tired of repeating the same thing that you simply don't get or are too defensive to grasp....I'm not going to change it...and you obviously like a flawed system! Again, sounds like sour grapes !

sorry - messed up the bold and the color. Oh well. You can probably figuire out what I said.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year there were events in Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Memphis. 2 in Nashville.

No events in Knoxville, except tryouts. Only Memphis event was a tournament. 1 training session in Chattanooga, and at least 2 training sessions plus mini camp in Nashville, not to mention Nashville events cancelled due to weather.

2 of the first 3 training sessions for returning players this fall are in Nashville, with the 3rd taking place in Cookeville. The rest are "TBA".

]Again, sounds like sour grapes ![/b][/color]

sorry - messed up the bold and the color. Oh well. You can probably figuire out what I said.

yeah, I figured out what you're saying and the bold is not the only thing you messed up in your missive....you are so wrong about so many issues in your missive it is not worth the time or effort to point them out.....good luck with your ODP and club coaching......you need it.

I think that ODP is not the be all end all for kids getting recruited to play in college. Does it look good on a resume...sure. Do they get seen in an elite environment...yep. But, there are opportunities for kids that play club ball on competitive teams. The club teams must make a committment to those kids getting seen at showcase and high level tournaments that college coaches attend. Be proactive in contacting coaches, etc.

But college teams are loaded with players that did not play ODP. Granted the big schools (SEC, Big 12, etc. )may have mostly ODP players, but there are many other opportunities. For girls it's about getting education assistence and continuting to play a game they love, at a higher level. There is no pro soccer for women. So kids need to find the right school and environment for them. I hear people constently go on and on about playing D1 and at a big program, etc. NAIA, Div 2 and Div 3 offer great educational opportunities and good soccer. Also, D1 is not only SEC, Big 12, etc. but also great schools like Tenn Tech, ETSU, Belmont, Lipscomb, UTC, UNC Wilmington, UAB, etc. where even the players that are not of the "chosen few" may have a chance to play considerable amounts even as Freshmen and sophmores, not have to be redshirted, etc. Sometimes I think it again comes back to the ego of parents being able to stick their chest out and say "My daughter is playing at Big Time State...How Bout that".

My daughter has never been involved in ODP. I tried for several years to get her to try out, but she was never interested. I have heard over and over about the flaws of the system and the placement of players or help by club coaches that are aggressive about getting their kids into it, or connected. I think that still happens. The system may be fixed, I hope so because it sure wasn't for a while. Example, about 4-5 years ago a selector and coach was a local club coach and surprise... about 8 of his players ended up on the squad. Coincidence...maybe, maybe not. It appears from what I'm hearing that's been fixed, good it sure needed to be.

I guess bottom line is that it's good for some not for others. Parents of kids on the squads can stick their chests out and talk about how wonderful it is parents of kids that didn't make it can gripe. Parents of kids that don't care can post long posts like this one.

Colleges look at ODP, club, and schools. It is up to the coaches of each to try to show case their players to get them exposed to those colleges that they are interested in. You must as a coach of any team have a good working relationship with those schools and talk up your players. School teams can and do get the attention of colleges so I dont think you ever need to write off the exposure your kids get at the high school level. Especially if your child plays at one of the bigger name schools. So many write off the HS teams as useless in the college selection process but each program needs to be given its due. All have benefits and downfalls but in the end we are trying to get the girls to play at the highest level they desire. It should never have to do with how much or how little they are paid to do their jobs.

I know the county high school teams I have had experience with have had lots of contacts about players. So dont discount their years in HS ball. It does pay off to play for your schools. I think all programs are benefitial in aiding the kids to get to the next level if used correctly. Yes there are some coaches who dont work as hard as others to help get scholarships. I feel bad for kids who are in those situations. If you are in that situation - tape your player - make copies - send it to college coaches. OR Talk to your coach and ask them to help you make contact dont sit back and wait on offers or on your coach to know what you want to do.

yeah, I figured out what you're saying and the bold is not the only thing you messed up in your missive....you are so wrong about so many issues in your missive it is not worth the time or effort to point them out.....good luck with your ODP and club coaching......you need it.

Gordon G. thanks for the intelligent conversation. Good luck to Anna (for real) and good luck to Franklin . You need it.

Cakes I think that deserves a party foul. I do know who Flash is and you missed it. I really don't think that disagreements in this forum should result in taking personal attacks and trying to reveal someone's identity and most especially their children's. Especially when you are wrong and make it look like you are arguing w/ someone else.

Bad form my friend.

This is getting a little personal and somewhat off track... I'd rather not close the thread, so please take a deep breath, and let's move on.

I believe a healthy objective discussion regarding Tn ODP is in order- might I suggest a new thread on the subject?