Top keeper in the past 10 years? (Middle Tennessee)

RCola123

Jewell,

This a debate forum on who has been the best keepers in Middle Tennessee. Disagreeing with an opinion is not bashing a player. Critical analysis is not always rosy, and players, teams, coaches, etc. need to be able to handle negative opinions. I have always followed "honesty is the best policy".

Now, Kelly Dyer is truly first rate, but I don't consider Memphis part of Middle Tennessee. I would go as far as Clarksville west, Lebanon east, Winchester south, and the state line north. That is what I consider middle Tennessee.

Now, you ask for some information improving soccer in TN, and I am about to give it to you. The myth that "10 players have not done their job before the keeper gets in the game" is a big bunch of codswallop that people tell keepers to make them feel better about themselves which in the end hurts the keeper because they lose responsibility for not doing their job. I have never had a goal scored on me or seen a goal that the keeper could not have prevented somehow. To elaborate, let us first define the top of traits of a goalkeeper:

1. THE HANDS. At some point no matter what you do, the ball is going to come at the keeper, and if they can't catch the ball, they do not belong in goal. Period!

2. Communication/Organization. This is a trait that 98% of people miss, but it is only a hair bit less important that the hands. A well organized team will deny many shots before anyone envisions them to take place. As I tell my keepers, the easiest shot to save is the one that is never taken. In adddition, good organization will make the taken shots more difficult for the shooter and easier for the keeper. Also, a communicative keeper can get attacking players to back off balls when they are assertive and commanding.

3. Positioning. Another overlooked trait that is critical to keeping. A well positioned keeper makes the goal smaller and shots easier to save. A basic combination of physics and geometry.

4. Mobility/agility. The more mobile a keeper is the quicker they can get into good position. Agility helps with the tough save.

5. Attitude/Leadership/Fearlessness. I roll these together as they are intertwined. A quality keeper must be ready to go at any moment, they must lead by example, and they must be able to handle mistakes and the inevitablities of being a keeper i.e. sooner or later you are going to get popped and it will hurt but you have to deal with it.

6. Vision. Keepers must see the developing play and read it. Plus, they must be quick to find the open player on the counter.

7. Technique. This encompases both keeping technique i.e. diving, smothering, etc., and fieldplaying technique. The modern keeper must be efficient with the ball at their feet.

Those are the most important traits I look for in my keepers.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about 6 years ago, but Katie Shelton was a pretty good keeper for Beech the past couple of years.

One more note in regards to Taryn Holland, the forum is about the best Middle TN high school keepers. In high school, Taryn was top notch. I have not seen her play in college, but one must realize that the SEC is one of the top conferences with a high level of play. Give her time to adjust.

fevercoach.

This is extemely helpfuf. One part you missed is that many of us don't know hwo you guys are, so we can't tell what the georaphic boundrys are. if you will go to the beginning of the "debate forum" you will see Kelly dyer mentioned by someone from Tullohoma, i think, so I was just throwing the hat back in the ring. Also you missed my questioning the call letters you guys use for teams like, CAK and SHS and CNA, I don't know who they are. Maybe I should just read and not enter the debate if the subject is limited to "mid tn". I would love for you to give me your other key points for the other positions, this is great info for me as a a parent of a player, for players themselves, who don't get that kind of real imput from their coach and for coaches as well who may not have their thought as well organized. thanks for your relpy.

PS who is the fever??

Jewell,

This a debate forum on who has been the best keepers in Middle Tennessee. Disagreeing with an opinion is not bashing a player. Critical analysis is not always rosy, and players, teams, coaches, etc. need to be able to handle negative opinions. I have always followed "honesty is the best policy".

Now, Kelly Dyer is truly first rate, but I don't consider Memphis part of Middle Tennessee. I would go as far as Clarksville west, Lebanon east, Winchester south, and the state line north. That is what I consider middle Tennessee.

Now, you ask for some information improving soccer in TN, and I am about to give it to you. The myth that "10 players have not done their job before the keeper gets in the game" is a big bunch of codswallop that people tell keepers to make them feel better about themselves which in the end hurts the keeper because they lose responsibility for not doing their job. I have never had a goal scored on me or seen a goal that the keeper could not have prevented somehow. To elaborate, let us first define the top of traits of a goalkeeper:

1. THE HANDS. At some point no matter what you do, the ball is going to come at the keeper, and if they can't catch the ball, they do not belong in goal. Period!

2. Communication/Organization. This is a trait that 98% of people miss, but it is only a hair bit less important that the hands. A well organized team will deny many shots before anyone envisions them to take place. As I tell my keepers, the easiest shot to save is the one that is never taken. In adddition, good organization will make the taken shots more difficult for the shooter and easier for the keeper. Also, a communicative keeper can get attacking players to back off balls when they are assertive and commanding.

3. Positioning. Another overlooked trait that is critical to keeping. A well positioned keeper makes the goal smaller and shots easier to save. A basic combination of physics and geometry.

4. Mobility/agility. The more mobile a keeper is the quicker they can get into good position. Agility helps with the tough save.

5. Attitude/Leadership/Fearlessness. I roll these together as they are intertwined. A quality keeper must be ready to go at any moment, they must lead by example, and they must be able to handle mistakes and the inevitablities of being a keeper i.e. sooner or later you are going to get popped and it will hurt but you have to deal with it.

6. Vision. Keepers must see the developing play and read it. Plus, they must be quick to find the open player on the counter.

7. Technique. This encompases both keeping technique i.e. diving, smothering, etc., and fieldplaying technique. The modern keeper must be efficient with the ball at their feet.

Those are the most important traits I look for in my keepers.

I hope you also consider size - especially with girls. :lol:

tessa williams is one of the top goalies around

even witha new coach she is still excelling in her game

Tessa is very good. She is handicapped by size compared to many, but she is one of the most fearless I have seen...if necessary she will use her face to remove a ball from an attacker's foot! That's gutsy.

On another note...many of these goalies look good because the coach has built a wall in front of them by placing some of his/her very best talent at sweeper or in the back 3 or 4...a poor or average back line can make a goalie look pretty bad...and a very good back line often makes an All-State Goalie! :lol: ! Some are blessed with both! :lol:

Overall, I don't consider size. Jorge Campos was 5-5 or so and was the starter for the Mexican National team. Athleticism is more important.

Girls can't jump.

As a consequence many of the college coaches look at a gk's height/weight listing on their player resume first.

I'm not saying they wouldn't watch someone or recruit someone who is 5'2 160; I'm just saying it has to be considered. If you can't touch the crossbar it's tough to be a starting gk. Even in high school (unless there is no other choice).

There are different components to athleticism. Agility, quickness, power,reaction.

Girls can't jump.

As a consequence many of the college coaches look at a gk's height/weight listing on their player resume first.

I'm not saying they wouldn't watch someone or recruit someone who is 5'2 160; I'm just saying it has to be considered. If you can't touch the crossbar it's tough to be a starting gk. Even in high school (unless there is no other choice).

There are different components to athleticism. Agility, quickness, power,reaction.

no most girls won't jump

there's one girl in my area thats 6 feet tall and her feet won't even leave the ground

you go has far has your athletic ability takes you but luckily good training makes up for it

Edited by mjuhb

I saw a couple of high school games and some select games. Decent but not great.

The point that you missed is that you are stating that you had trained 3 all state goalies, obviously not having a clue that Berigan was TACA All State in 2004 and 2005 and TSWA All State in 2004.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion, but back it up with some stats or facts and it would be better taken. Thanks.

she is spliting with another goalie at miss state

9 goals against 13 saves for .591% 281 minutes

ann shelton 805 minutes 11 goals against 38 saves for .776% at ole miss

mjuhb,

I have been reading the message boards on CoachT for some time, but I have never posted. Being familar with both keepers in question and having watched them both play a number of times in both high school and travel soccer, I feel compelled to post my first message.

First, GK stats can be misleading and do not always reflect the abilities or play of a keeper. GK stats, to a degree, reflect not only the play of the keeper, but also the play of the defending players in front of her. GK stats do not tell you how many one on one breakaways there were or how many blind shots out of the pack there were or how many unplayable shots to the corners there were.

Taken at face value, the individual stats of these keepers reveal quite a contrast. However, after reviewing the website of both college teams, comparing their 2006 college stats is not a fair judgement of their comparable performance in 2006 or abilities.

Teams - The UM Rebels have a good mixture of upperclassmen (12) and underclassmen (15), with 5 Sr, 7 Jr, 8 So, and 7 Fr. A review of their games played show they generally start 6 upperclassmen (2 Sr & 4 Jr) & 5 underclassmen (3 So & 2 Fr). On the other hand, the MSU Bulldogs have 6 upperclassmen & 18 underclassmen, including 2 Sr, 4 Jr, 10 So, and 8 Fr. They generally start 4 upperclassmen (2 Sr & 2 Jr) and 7 underclassmen (3 So & 4 Fr). They have started as many as 6 Fr in a game or two. MSU is quite a young team & their record reflects that fact.

Experience - Ann Shelton is a redshirt Junior (redshirted Fr year) and she is beginning her 4th year with the Rebels. Prior to 2006, she benefited from 3 years of practice & training with the Rebel coaches. She played in a total of 41 matched with 31 starts prior to 2006. She has a world of college experience and has been very successful as a GK for UM. Taryn Holland, on the other hand, is a true Freshman who started the first three games of the season. Quite a challenge and a lot of pressure on an inexperienced college keeper on a very young team in the SEC.

Summary - Both girls are very athletic and are very good keepers. They were both highly recruited coming out of high school. Ann Shelton is the best player to ever come out of Tullahoma & is possibly the best GK to come out of TN in the last 10 years. Taryn Holland did not have the benefit of a redshirt year & the training such a year would have afforded her. She is learning the college game on the job with a very young team in front of her & her stats currently reflect that. She is one of the best keepers to come out of TN in the last 10 years. Over time & with a good dose of experience & training, her stats will reflect those sentiments.

Special note - The MSU stats show Taryn Holland was the 2nd half GK in the Bulldogs upset win (3-2) over the nationally 8th ranked Lady Volunteers this past Sunday. She gave up 1 goal in that win.