Smith County @ Upperman

I Love HS Football

38 to 7 I guess they didnt get there 14 like I predicted.. I cant belive we had 12 try's at the endzone and didn't get in. Smith County is an exellent team. VERY hard to score on in the red zone. Good fans I was even impressed with the band you brought. One complaint though..... I do think you guys left your first team in a little long. Im not whining about it we got beat fair and square and I think our boys played with heart tonight. They just got outplayed. But if I had a Freshman or Sophmore son on the Smith County team I wouldnt like the Idea that my son would never see any play time. Even when my team had a 30 point lead with 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone out there home from the game yet but me? What did you guys think?

I had a lovely night at Upperman...did feel a few drops of rain...but not like the rain I felt two years ago...on the other hand...I suppose they could have been tear drops from the Baxter fans...or maybe even far flung tear drops from the Gordansvile fans...

All in all a good night!

GO OWLS!!

Oh yeah...tried those fried oreos...tasty!...but dang...a half of one was enough for me...thought my teeth were going to fall out!!

And another oh yeah...there were plenty of freshman and sophomores playing the entire game...so that's not even a consideration in the loss...

I think those same refs from last week followed us to Baxter tonight....two weeks from now...I say we all go different ways to the game...and maybe they won't be able to follow along!!!

Edited by QueenBee

38 to 7 I guess they didnt get there 14 like I predicted.. I cant belive we had 12 try's at the endzone and didn't get in. Smith County is an exellent team. VERY hard to score on in the red zone. Good fans I was even impressed with the band you brought. One complaint though..... I do think you guys left your first team in a little long. Im not whining about it we got beat fair and square and I think our boys played with heart tonight. They just got outplayed. But if I had a Freshman or Sophmore son on the Smith County team I wouldnt like the Idea that my son would never see any play time. Even when my team had a 30 point lead with 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

12 tries inside the 5 at that. The starters might have been pulled immeadiately after the first drive after halftime if SC didn't drop so many passes last night. Offense looked sluggish at ttimes. Obvious they needed some reps, especially facing a bye week next week. The subs were in before the 6 minute mark in the 4th.

I have a complaint. That game last night was so "bush league!" First time I have ever seen a school have speakers on tripod stands on the sideline blairring music during play. Never forget the song playing while SC was busy on that 12 play defensive stand, the song that was blairring at that time, "Hells Bells" by AC/DC. I thought I was witnessing a live highlight film. One of the few times, that I can remember hearing a school doing chants over the pa. Just unbelievable really. How things change.

However, I am impressed with Upperman's band. It is alot better than it used to be, but then again, due to the music, the only time I heard them was at halftime.

I agree with you totally. Im going to complain very loudly at the next parents meeting. It was an embarrasment. The one running the PA system was a 15 year old kid with no Idea about proper football manners. Hopefully that was his first and last time on the PA. As far as the band I think they get to go play at the cotton bowl this year. They are no where near equal the quality of your band.. They are amazing. As far as the way we played we played with heart but I still cant get over not punching it in in those 12 try's. I guess I have to give it up to SC's D.. They held tough.

We are giving people way too many chances to score on us. Something has to change.

Also, someone has been posting under my name that wasn't me. Sorry for what they said. :blink:

I thought your postings from Friday were very well thought out...especially as the two that they were directed at needed a little comeupannce...

Must be very careful of leaving your name on a shared computer...hehehehehehe

I agree with the too many chances. I'm afraid this will bite us against the better teams in 2A.

I agree with both of you as well. Smith County has been trying to work on their pass rush and pass defense at the same time, thus making it harder for passing teams to pass. I have seen some small steps for the good. Macon County and Upperman throw the football alot, and I feel like with Macon County being a non-region foe, and Upperman being very young and inexperienced, it was a good time to experiment with a few things with the defensive scheme.

One thing you have to look at, is when those offensive teams get in the red zone where SC's defense can play disciplined gap responsibility defense and the field is shortened that SC defense is pretty strong. Now, I understand that better teams will probably take advantage of that a little better with having first down and goal from the 3, three times in a row.

I think they will be fine, patience is a virtue.