Clinton @ Halls

HaveitYourWay

Rebels have a great program but I have to disagree with FBE on Halls not playing anyone yet. As noted earlier Sevier Co. 4-1 & Central 4-1 are not nobodies. West has had a grueling schedule and the 2-3 record they have is very deceiving I'm glad we don't play Webb, Bearden or Mo. West this year like they have had to do.

Halls is a program built on a proud tradition that many now would consider we are pretenders instead of contenders. Once again things can change very fast in High School Football and I see Halls getting some respect as early as next year. Many programs in the near future will see a drop off that have plagued the Red Devils this year. Kevin Julian is holding the line and there is too much talent in the squad to fall flat on their face the next few years. What will surprise many and seems to go unnoticed constantly is Halls does have speed in places. The big problem with a very young team is learning to tackle, basic positioning and make a big play at the right time. This will come with time. We will start to see it when a good program plays us that even if we lose we won't get blown out like earlier in the year. Its a slow process and this year if the Devils go 5-5 it would have been a big surprise to most people. Like Fairplay said earlier this is basically a JV team in disguise.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halls fans,honestly, what is Halls like this year? Are they young, fast, strong, inexperienced? I saw the scores vs. West and Karns but that's really all I have to go by.

The team is very young. Fairplay and ZCAR are correct that this team looks like a JV squad. There are only 3 or 4 seniors who start. There are 4 or 5 sophomores who essentially play the whole game, and more who get significant playing time. The defense doesn't have anyone who started last year.

With that said, there is a little speed at a couple of RB and DB/Safety positions. The LB's run okay, and a couple of defensive linemen are fast.

The defense looked really good against an overmatched Karns squad. The D had very few missed assignments and contained the option well.

As I've said on other topics, my only beef with the program is what I consider an inadequate offseason workout program, resulting in a team that doesn't have as much brute strength as it should have. But I think that will change this offseason.

Tell us about Clinton. I heard that Phillip Hester is hurt. Is that right? Is Russell Thurmond your No. 1 kicker now? Who wears jersey No. 2 -- Hazelhurst or Acres -- I saw him a bunch on last week's highlights.

The team is very young. Fairplay and ZCAR are correct that this team looks like a JV squad. There are only 3 or 4 seniors who start. There are 4 or 5 sophomores who essentially play the whole game, and more who get significant playing time. The defense doesn't have anyone who started last year.

With that said, there is a little speed at a couple of RB and DB/Safety positions. The LB's run okay, and a couple of defensive linemen are fast.

The defense looked really good against an overmatched Karns squad. The D had very few missed assignments and contained the option well.

As I've said on other topics, my only beef with the program is what I consider an inadequate offseason workout program, resulting in a team that doesn't have as much brute strength as it should have. But I think that will change this offseason.

Tell us about Clinton. I heard that Phillip Hester is hurt. Is that right? Is Russell Thurmond your No. 1 kicker now? Who wears jersey No. 2 -- Hazelhurst or Acres -- I saw him a bunch on last week's highlights.

Being a fan, I don't want to be super critical but the facts are this, we need to get better is almost every facet of the game.

Halls Has a Good offseason workout plan I believe, They work out everyday but weekends and the dead period. I took it from what I heard is that they had a like 93 or 94% of players being there all summer and I heard that most of them took there summer vacations during the dead period so they did workout and if u cant tell there a lot of players with a little more muscle than they did last year! If u don't think they workout hard enough, hire them a personal trainer or give them some ideas for workout plans?!

Halls Has a Good offseason workout plan I believe, They work out everyday but weekends and the dead period. I took it from what I heard is that they had a like 93 or 94% of players being there all summer and I heard that most of them took there summer vacations during the dead period so they did workout and if u cant tell there a lot of players with a little more muscle than they did last year! If u don't think they workout hard enough, hire them a personal trainer or give them some ideas for workout plans?!

I wish I had the bucks. If I did I would hire a strength coach. I'm not slamming the team or coaches, but the workout techniques and approaches are antiquated. You can't do reps for power (3-5) all offseason long. If you do, you don't get stronger. You've got to have hypertrophy to get stronger and faster, then you can do reps for power. Hypertrophy requires 8-12 reps per set. It's called periodization training (which really just means mix it up) and it's what Maryville does

I'm going to talk to Coach J after the season. I'm excited about what the team can do in the next few years, and I believe the coaching and work ethic are there. It's just the minor tweaks that can get us to the next level.

Being a fan, I don't want to be super critical but the facts are this, we need to get better is almost every facet of the game.

BEING A DRAGON FAN TOO, I MUST AGREE. THE DRAGONS CAME OUT IN THE FIRST CAME AND LOOKED LIKE WE WERE FINALLY ON A UPWARD SWING EVEN THOUGH IT WAS A LOSS TO OR. I THINK THE TEAM HAS BEEN ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PILE FOR SO LONG THAT THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO HANDLE WINNING. I STILL HAVE FAITH THAT WE WILL DO BETTER THAN LAST YEAR AND YES EVEN IF THATS ONLY 2 WINS WE WILL TAKE IT.

When did they switch up to 3 to 5 reps with more weight Im guessing?

To my knowledge the workout plan stayed with the 3-5 rep regimen the whole offseason. Probably 80-90 percent of their one rep max. It's correct to do that some of the time, but you can only get so much power out of a smaller engine. When you make a bigger engine (hypertrophy), you can get that much more powerful.

Well does this plan to be a blowout or a close game?

I think it'll be Halls by 17. The Clinton faithful haven't answered about Phillip Hester. He's a difference maker. I don't think they've got him right now, and I don't think they realize that Hazelhurst, a freshman, is still a little small to make an impact yet against a decent team. Thurmond is a pretty good kicker, but I heard he was injured too.

I think Halls will take this one by a comfortable margin. Clinton is just not playing to the level of the "better" programs, yet. I don't think Shattuck should be on the hot seat at all. They are much better off than they were with the previous staffs. For Halls, this is big to keep the momentum and to get a region win. I think Halls will score some points and wear them down as the game goes on.

My guess is Halls by 21.