Wristbands over elbows?

cherries

First,let me state that my son does not wear wrist bands, but he has a place on his elbow that he has to get taped every game because it bleeds. I can see where a regular wristband would help protect this area somewhat. I do not see the purpose at all for the thin bands, but I am sure some do. I am like many others and do not see that it is such a big deal to wear one on the elbow. Maybe someone can get a finger caught in them, but there are many other parts of the uniform that fingers can get caught in as well and we don't ban them.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wristband band rule is to keep other players from getting thier fingers caught inside and twisted, broken, or evicerated.

Imagine getting your finger caught in a "Chinese Finger Trap that is passing you by at 10 miles an hour.

that is the dumbest thing in the world that doesnt happean aand the rule is dumb to

Whatever happened to just wearing the same uniform as your teammates. Why can't kids all look the same except for their size and number. If you want to be noticed do something on the field and quit dressing like a bunch of clowns who wear all this junk just to stand out and be separate from your team. No coach should let players wear anything other than school equipment. That is the biggest problem today is this" it is all about me mentality ". We live in a very me ,me ,me world and I am is all that is important. Football is a team game' not for individuals. The military wears a uniform for togetherness and create a sense of one. They are pretty successful, don't you think.

I don't agree with that. We lost our starting senior QB for the season one year becuase our coach basically said the same thing you are saying. He put a black band on his jersey, becuase his mom ,who was 1 of the most active members of the QB CLub, had passed away a few months earlier. Our coach called him out and said the same thing that you are saying. He quit.

To sum it up, sometimes it not just about being a "me" person. Somtimes its to honor another person. Somtimes , like 1 poster said, its to cover a injury. Sometimes its just mental, if I went out on the field with without certian things, I felt naked. I played with a knee brace, and an extra pad on my bicep because of injuries, if I didnt have them I wouldn't take the field until I had them on. Even after I was healed up, it was all mental but I had to put them on. Thats how this game works.

I think the sweatband above the elbow rule is stupid. I cannot see how it could be a safety precaution because sweatbands STRETCH and slide down your arm. To get hurt by a sweatband you would have to literally tie it around your finger. Most times you dont have time to do that during the game. When I played center I wore one right above my elbow on the right side so I put one on the left so to not feel unbalanced and now I wear them all the time, every game. Its like a game to game tradition, everyone has them whether they admit it or not. The sweatbands are mine and I will continue to wear them. Not to mention they strike fear into the hearts of the oponents!! - 209

I wear a small but very elastic band right above my elbow. I have worn in all 4 years of high school football and it's mainly superstitious. I do agree that it is mental and feels weird if I don't wear it. I have had to take it off once this year at the request of the referees. As for the safety aspect, this year I got my finger caught in one of the little Under Armour bands worn above the elbow while I was blocking a linebacker. I wasn't concerned about my safety-my finger bent naturally and hurt alot less than when I get a finger smashed by a helmet. The only concern I had was that the refs would call me for holding. I don't think those bands cause a significant safety hazard when you're playing a sport as violent as football.

I don't agree with that. We lost our starting senior QB for the season one year becuase our coach basically said the same thing you are saying. He put a black band on his jersey, becuase his mom ,who was 1 of the most active members of the QB CLub, had passed away a few months earlier. Our coach called him out and said the same thing that you are saying. He quit.

To sum it up, sometimes it not just about being a "me" person. Somtimes its to honor another person. Somtimes , like 1 poster said, its to cover a injury. Sometimes its just mental, if I went out on the field with without certian things, I felt naked. I played with a knee brace, and an extra pad on my bicep because of injuries, if I didnt have them I wouldn't take the field until I had them on. Even after I was healed up, it was all mental but I had to put them on. Thats how this game works.

The kid could have just as easily said, "It's no problem coach, I understand," or maybe could have asked his coach's permission before acting on his own. You certainly don't quit because of that. There are other ways to honor people. The Army comparison is an accurate one, your uniform is a symbol. The uniform symbolizes unity, oneness, otherwise why wear one at all? That's why drill instructors jump in soldier's throats for not having their uniform on properly. It matters, it is a symbol, and sports teams seek to model that same military unity on a much less-important scale, but it's the same motivation behind it all noneltheless. Let's think it through. You can't blame the coach for that kid chosing to leave on his own. I hate it for the kid.

Edited by John005

The kid could have just as easily said, "It's no problem coach, I understand," or maybe could have asked his coach's permission before acting on his own. You certainly don't quit because of that. There are other ways to honor people. The Army comparison is an accurate one, your uniform is a symbol. The uniform symbolizes unity, oneness, otherwise why wear one at all? That's why drill instructors jump in soldier's throats for not having their uniform on properly. It matters, it is a symbol, and sports teams seek to model that same military unity on a much less-important scale, but it's the same motivation behind it all noneltheless. Let's think it through. You can't blame the coach for that kid chosing to leave on his own. I hate it for the kid.

Probably wouldnt have been a problem, but the year before we had a similar situation, and the coach had no problem with it.

Wearing equipment or taping an injury is not what I meant. As for a band or a decal on a helmet, If I were the coach the whole team would wear one as a gester of respect. I just do not think that kids should be dressed in a way that promotes indivduality. There are always special circumstances. Sorry for the confusion of what I meant.

Thanks for the advice, mikey65. It takes about as much time to read rules online as it does to read the posts on Coach T or any other website. I was not trying to be the heavy, just pointing out that it was a rule. Prolly should have been a little more thougtful in my explanation. Maybe that comes from getting blasted from expressing my opinion on this board. Anyway, have a good one.

I was just wondering where can you find the rulebook online? I've looked for it, but can't locate it.

I have had to have some therapy due to problems with pain in my elbow. The symptoms I had were similar to tennis elbow, although I don't play tennis, and a band that is placed above the elbow was recommended to help with the pain and movement.

Found this quote online from an elbow band supplier:

Elbow/Wrist Support is a multi-use, fully adjustable support for use on the elbow or the wrist. When worn on the upper forearm, the support provides a customized level of compression designed to relieve or prevent pain associated with common elbow injuries such as Tennis and Golfer's Elbow.

I wonder if some of these players are using these for this reason.....if so, they do help with the pain and gives you more flexability. If they are just to be cool, well then, whatever.

From a Mom, not a football player.

I am a certified athletic trainer. I have been doing this job for 20 years. During this time, I have had the opportunity to work with all levels of the game from pee-wee's all the way to the NFL. And the one thing that I have learned, is that it's all about image. Whatever looks "cool" in the NFL, immediately is copied by the college athletes. From there.....you guessed it....the HS kids have to do it.

Michael Jordan wearing the sweat-band around his knee. What's the purpose? But it looked "cool" and was quickly copied by college/HS players.

Reggie Bush in his Subway commercial. He's wearing an eye-black patch with the number 619 written in a silver marker on the patch. I was covering a freshman game tonight and found a black eye patch on the ground from last weeks game, with the number 619 written on it.....in a silver marker. Guess somebody wanted to look "cool"

Eyeshields. Why??? I understand the reason for some people wearing them, but now a lot of college players are wearing them, and many HS kids want to wear them as well. Once again....WHY??? Is it to look "cool"? There are some medical reasons why some athletes need to wear them, but what about the kids that stand on the sideline and never even get in???? On a sidenote, I always get a big laugh when these guys want to take their eyeshields off because of rain, or humid conditions are causing them to fog up.

Wristbands on the elbow? No purpose really, except for a center snapping the ball to the QB. But it looks "cool", so everybody wants to do it. Even the waterboys!!!

Rubber wristbands?? Once again....no purpose....but it looks "Cool". As far as "snapping a finger" that was mentioned in a previous post.....I agree, but the bones in a finger are a lot stronger than those wrist bands.

If there is a medical necessity to wear something that is non-conforming to the standard team uniform, then there should be a note from an MD stating the purpose.

I'm not bashing athletes of any level (except for T.O.), but the desire to stand-out separately from your teammates irritates me at times.