Old-Timers: Rule changes you like and dislike

CoachT

Just a good game of football.

I dislike the liberalization of the holding rules, i.e., the use of hands. Along the same lines, I dislike the 10 yard holding penalty. It used to be that holding was a drive killer.

I don't like the incidental facemask rule. Before the rule was changed, you saw maybe three such penalties a season. Now with the incidental facemask, you see it at least once a game.

Also, I'm not keen on blocking in the back rule. In my day, it was clipping, and it set you back 15.

Lastly, the spotting on dead ball fouls after a first down...as in an excessive celebration after a first down. Back in the day, the 15 yards was marched off, and you then had 1st and 25.

And I'm not real keen on this internet thing. If it ever catches on, it'll do no end of harm....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also know that back then, if you were bleeding, nobody said anything. I have seen gushers that went all over everyone's uniforms and the officials would just say "Are you OK?" Sometimes these gashes would come because somebody filed down their chin strap buckle. No lie.

Now, if you get a scratch, better hide it from the ref or you'll miss a play.

One thing I DON'T miss is the old double bar and single bar facemasks. The dentists loved them- and that was about it.

There you go, hatin' on Liberals again!

You know, at least I think it would be interesting to gague a football coach's philosophy versus their political/social philosohpy and see if more political conservaties adhere to more old-school football tendencies (adjusted for the evolution of the game) versus political liberals and the wide-open new stly of the game.

I played during a time of trasition. When I played Freshman ball we had "Concussion Helmets". I had a better helmet as a pee-wee and midget. The "concussion helmet" had a canvass web suspension in the helmet. If you were good you got a new rubber donut pad that fit into the top of the helmet webbing. If you were a scrub you got last years donut. They had double bar facemasks, some had a bull ring. At the same time the varsity had "cheese pack" helmets and the new Bike "Air" helmets with face masks like they still use today. The bike helmets weighed a ton. As for rules we had to keep our hands inside when trying to block a corner as a wide receiver. But at the same time we could roll block and crack back. Also as a freshman we had the little yellow salt pills, by the time I made it to varsity, they were gone and we had plenty of water breaks.