T.O. tries to kill himself

Police: T.O. tried to kill himself

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

September 27, 2006

DALLAS (AP) -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens tried to kill himself by overdosing on pain medication, police said, even putting two more pills into his mouth after a friend intervened.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told his friend "that he was depressed." Details of the report were first released by WFAA-TV.

The friend, who is not identified in the report, "noticed that (his) prescription pain medication was empty and observed (Owens) putting two pills in his mouth," the police report said.

The friend attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated, `Yes."'

Owens was hospitalized late Tuesday because of what his publicist said was an allergic reaction to pain medicine he was taking for a broken hand. Doctors reportedly tried to induce vomiting.

Owens is recovering from a broken right hand he hurt a week ago Sunday. He had an operation the next day to have a plate screwed in, enabling the bone to heal without being further injured. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said last week that the pain medicine made Owens ill.

The Cowboys were off this past weekend and Owens was back at practice Tuesday, although he worked out on his own. Parcells said Owens' hand was improving and he was expected back on the practice field Wednesday. Owens chatted briefly with reporters in the locker room Tuesday afternoon and seemed fine.

Owens, one of the league's top receivers during his 11-year NFL career, is best known for wild stunts on the field and other publicity-seeking antics off it.

When the Cowboys signed him to a $25 million, three-year deal in March, they said their background checks indicated no red flags. In fact, team consultant Calvin Hill -- who mostly deals with troubled players -- said during training camp that his department was not involved with Owens because he didn't have a history of those kinds of problems.

Dallas police officials said they were planning a news conference later Wednesday, did not immediately release a time. A hospital spokeswoman said early Wednesday there was no patient registered as Terrell Owens, although federal privacy laws allow people to block their name from being released.

Owens' publicist and agent, and the Cowboys, did not return repeated calls from The Associated Press. No teammates or Cowboys officials were seen entering the hospital late Tuesday night.

Edited by montague1

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard and read this all morning long it is really hard for me to get a real grasp of what is going on. A lot of people think that this is a publicity stunt and others just think that it is serious. I personally have to see more info before I can make my desicion. If he is depressed I think that it explains some of his actions. I have seen alot of people who are unhappy with their life and try and act cocky and very disruptive just to hide what is really happening on the inside.

I have heard and read this all morning long it is really hard for me to get a real grasp of what is going on. A lot of people think that this is a publicity stunt and others just think that it is serious. I personally have to see more info before I can make my desicion. If he is depressed I think that it explains some of his actions. I have seen alot of people who are unhappy with their life and try and act cocky and very disruptive just to hide what is really happening on the inside.

I agree. Ususally the boistorous, cocky attitude is nothing more than a disguise for a very dark inside.

I don't think this is a publicity stunt at all.........

Guest dare_2_dream

Is this going to hurt my fantasy football team that has him on there?

That really is sad, I guess money, fame, and power isnt what truely makes him happy. I hope he can find the void that is missing in his life and come to peace with himself.

I agree. Ususally the boistorous, cocky attitude is nothing more than a disguise for a very dark inside.

I don't think this is a publicity stunt at all.........

I agree Sol. The more I read about this the more it makes me kind of feel sorry for this guy. Its like D2d posted, he's got money and fame, but theres a huge void in his life somewhere.

Guest dare_2_dream

I agree Sol. The more I read about this the more it makes me kind of feel sorry for this guy. Its like D2d posted, he's got money and fame, but theres a huge void in his life somewhere.

The guy does have some serious issues in the head. Take his whole stay in Philly, sure at times it was funny, and it was more like watching a soap opera unfold than watching a football team come together. Owens was nothing but trouble and basically ripped that team apart. He blamed McNabb for everything and wasnt afraid to go public about it. TO is a great WR and the Eagles could have done some amazing things if he would have kept his head on straight. TO is a cancer to any team he is on, and thats bad considering the amount of talent he has. The only thing stopping TO is himself, and after this event, its a proven fact that TO will not TO reach his full potential. Not sure on the reasoning either, maybe its insecurity, maybe he really does need some help from drs, or maybe he just needs someone in his life who he can trust and rely on that wont hurt him. Whatever it is, the man needs to find it, before he hurts someone else or actually is able to complete what he started ..

Just heard on espn radio where Michael Irvin talked to him and he said he wasn't trying to commit suicide, but trying to get his hand well for the game becuase he wants to be back on the field. I'm kinda interested to find out what the truth is. I don't think this is a publicity stunt, but i also find it hard to believe he was trying to kill himself.

I heard this on the radio as well today. One of the guys from ESPN the Magazine wrote an article on him and he had this to say. I am quoting this so if it is not all accurate please correct me.

He said that T.O. grew up in a very rough environment he didn't know his father until one day he was hitting on the girl that lived across the street and the man that lived there said don't hit on this girl and T.O. said why? the man said because this is your sister. How would you like to meet your father that way. Also it was stated that his grandmother was an alcoholic who would only let him have on a lamp and in order for him to have more light was to take off the lamp shade to do his home work. He couldn't ride his bike past his mailbox or go see any of his friends.

No wonder he is a me me me guy, he hasn't trusted no one his whole life.

This does make me sorry for the guy but if he is faking it there will be many people very Ticked off at him.

Guest dare_2_dream

Just heard on espn radio where Michael Irvin talked to him and he said he wasn't trying to commit suicide, but trying to get his hand well for the game becuase he wants to be back on the field. I'm kinda interested to find out what the truth is. I don't think this is a publicity stunt, but i also find it hard to believe he was trying to kill himself.

The rumors Im hearing is he took 30-35 pills? How in the world could he justify that as taking it for pain? But then again those are just rumors.

Owens denies he tried to kill himself

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

September 27, 2006

DALLAS (AP) -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens said "there was no suicide attempt," explaining that he mixed painkillers with supplements and became groggy.

He said Wednesday that the confusion over his condition likely stemmed from an empty bottle of pain medication found by his publicist, who was with him at the time. He said the rest of the pills were in a drawer.

Appearing in a news conference at team headquarters a few hours after leaving a hospital for what a police report described as "a drug overdose," Owens wore workout gear and no bandage on his broken right hand. The star receiver smiled and seemed more amused than peeved at the latest ruckus surrounding him.

Owens blamed a combination of hydrocodone, a generic form of Vicodin, with all-natural supplements for making him ill.

"It's very unfortunate for it to go from an allergic reaction to a suicide attempt," he said.

Owens said he feels very capable of playing Sunday in Tennessee, despite this incident and his broken hand. He added that he's "not depressed about anything."