Miss Basketball

sportsman

The early favorites in Class A have to be:

1. Emily Franks, Summertown - Franks is the best all-around player in District 12A and possibly in the state. She is also the only player on this list to have been to the State Tournament the past two years. She outplayed Class A State Tournament MVP, Gaby Bussell, in both of their two meetings last season and looks to be an even better and stronger player this year. The only thing that could prevent Franks from getting Miss Basketball is that she is on a great team, with 7 or 8 players who can all put points on the board, which could take away from Franks in some statistical areas.

2. Kayla Hudson, Gleason - Hudson returns for her senior season as a Class A Miss Basketball nominee last year, but with a Gleason team this year that is not quite as strong and deep as they have been in the past. So, everything this season, both offensively and defensively, will go through Hudson. She is a tremendous floor leader and has a ton of heart, but the one thing that will hurt her more then anything, is that she has yet to be able to lead Gleason to the State Tournament.

3. Danielle Rector, Temple - Rector, who was a Miss Basketball nominee last year, puts alot of points and pulls down a lot of rebounds as a 6'1" post player for Temple. However, the reason she puts so many points on the board is that she is pretty much the only offensive option that the Lady Crusaders have. She's a great player on a slightly above average team. She'll need to put up big numbers and lead Temple to some high quality wins if she wants to be nominated again.

4. Gaby Bussell, Forrest - Bussell is the reigning Class A State Tournament MVP off of the 2005 - 2006 Class A State Champions, Forrest Lady Rockets. The fact that she was the MVP of the State Tournament last year will automatically put her in the forefront of people's minds for Miss Basketball this year. However, Bussell is not exactly a strong all-around player. She is great in the post, can handle the ball reasonably well and is a strong rebounder. However, she is not always the best defensive player and she does not have much of a perimeter game.

5. Abby Andrews, Collinwood - Andrews is without a doubt the best guard in District 12A and one of the best all-around guards in the state. She can take the ball to the basket, score off the dribble, and drain the three. She was one of the top scorers in the state last year and will most certainly be one of the top scorers in the state this year. If she can remain healthy all year long, she could get a nomination.

Others worth noting (but more then likely will not receive a nomination):

Courtney Dyer, Jackson County

Anna Trull, McKenzie

Vanessa Pincheon, Moore County

Laken Leonard, Red Boiling Springs

Rachel Glidden, Richland

Cricket Glenn, Trinity Christian Academy

Good post, but keep this name in mind: Jaleta Grissom. She is impressive & will draw attention before graduating from colleges. Will only be a sophomore and is a special point guard- she will battle bussel for player of the year honors in district 9A. Oh & by the way:

A little shout out to bussel and the lady rockets for making our district proud- WAY TO PLAY GIRLS!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree with this 100%. This girl is ridiculous when she gets in the zone, from fadeaways to crossovers to no-looks, she has got the package. With a new coach in Coach Drew Johnson (whom I know personally and know that he brings a lot of passion and energy), she will be put in great position to, not just put the ball in the basket, but take over the game from all aspects - defense and rebounding, as well as offense. Her game will be much improved over last year, and this team should be fun to watch. Her teammate Salem ? is underrated and should at least be mentioned when talks of the top awards are on

smitty u would be talking about Salem Richardson she is a very good player and is underrated sometimes but as someone who has watched her play ball for awhile she tends to wanna do everything and doesn't always let the game come to her. But you are right about Coach Johnson and this should work out great for both sides but we'll see how Harpeth's girls fair against Ezell-Harding (who beat Harpeth in Sub-state last year) and York who are 2 of Harpeth's 1st 3 games

i heard from a coach that people actually campaign for girls for miss basketball. he said coaches, etc. sent flyers of girls to other coaches. do they really do that kind of stuff? what kinds of things do they do to get their name out there? i know that stats will show a lot but sometimes some very talented girls are not seen as much because their program is not as strong as other teams. i know a couple of girls that are extremely talented and should be considered for miss basketball this year. in fact, they are already mentioned in this post. do the votes come from each high school coach in the entire state or in this area? Would love to hear how it all works!!

I think Eboni Crayton or Erika Wright from McNairy can get it in AA. Crayton averaged 22 points a game before she went down with an ACL tear. I heard that she is as strong now as she was before. Wright is also a great player who averaged around 16 or 17 a game. They are both great players that can make a run at Miss Basketball in AA.

I think Eboni Crayton or Erika Wright from McNairy can get it in AA. Crayton averaged 22 points a game before she went down with an ACL tear. I heard that she is as strong now as she was before. Wright is also a great player who averaged around 16 or 17 a game. They are both great players that can make a run at Miss Basketball in AA.

I remember Wright from the tourny last year when i watched McNairy she's a good player and if I'm not mistaken Mendenhall had the region tourny of her life just expect more of the same this year

I remember Wright from the tourny last year when i watched McNairy she's a good player and if I'm not mistaken Mendenhall had the region tourny of her life just expect more of the same this year

Mendenhall is a great player, but if Crayton was playing in that game I think the outcome would have been a little different. But that is last year and it is a new year.