WHO IS THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL TEAM YOU HAVE EVER PLAYED OR SEEN?

RANDY SAVAGE

Good list, however probably the best team ever out of Tenn. would be the 96 Brentwood Academy team. Finished #2 in USA today, 15-0, handled a great Riverdale team in the clinic bowl. Had multiple D-1 signees. Also, 97' team was that good too, ran off 15 more in a row, finished #3 that year in USA today, multiple signees out of that senior class as well. Those two teams could match up with anyone. I played against that 94 cleveland team in the clinic bowl and they were awesome.

I SAW THEM PLAY CLINTON THAT YEAR.THE COBB BROTHERS WERE THE FASTEST THING I HAD EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE AT THAT TIME.DANTE HICKEY IS JUST A FOOTBALL NAME I GEUSS I WILL NEVER FORGET.HE LAYED A CLINTON PLAYER OUT ON THE SIDELINE IT WAS A BRUTAL HIT.I WAS ONLY ABOUT 14 BUT I REMEMBER SEEING THEM PLAY.THAT TEAM WAS A MACHINE

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The '93 Cleveland team has to be one of the top 5. They were very tough. This was the team that had the Cobb twins, Chris Waley, Carlos Thompson, Dante Hickey, and a couple of lineman that went on to play college ball.

That was the best team I ever seen a Maryville team play. Other great teams were the Maryville and Alcoa teams that won state.

2000 Red Bank

1997,2001,2004 Riverdale

93,95 and 96 Brentwood Academy

93 Lincoln County

94,95 Cleveland teams.

86 AE team

87 Jefferson County team

96,98 Melrose teams

95 Marion County

97 Pearl Cohn

77,99 Milan

Those were some of the best teams I ever seen in Tennessee. The best team I ever seen live was the 2005 Byrnes Team that killed MBA. I was at that game. Never saw a better high school football team.

Big Country I think Pearl Cohn is one of the best teams Ive ever seen but in one way did they Cruise to a easy 4a state championship they beat a Knoxville Halls team 14-0 at the time 18-14 thats not an easy win but I do agree!

The Tennessee High Team of 1971 and 1972 went undefeated & won back to back State Championships and the closest game that got in those two years was from Baylor something like 39-6. Baylor only had about 8 SEC signees on their team that year including two Hannah brothers who both played at Alabama. Baylor also won the state the next year so they had a very good team then.

the Next best team was Brentwood Academy's 1996 and 1997 teams. They went 15-0 both years and played anybody who would plan them . that team started the "split" that we all know today!

How can a team with a loss be listed as one of the best of all time when they werent the best on one given Friday night?

That was the best team I ever seen a Maryville team play. Other great teams were the Maryville and Alcoa teams that won state.

2000 Red Bank

1997,2001,2004 Riverdale

93,95 and 96 Brentwood Academy

93 Lincoln County

94,95 Cleveland teams.

86 AE team

87 Jefferson County team

96,98 Melrose teams

95 Marion County

97 Pearl Cohn

77,99 Milan

Those were some of the best teams I ever seen in Tennessee. The best team I ever seen live was the 2005 Byrnes Team that killed MBA. I was at that game. Never saw a better high school football team.

I can't believe I left out the 99' Milan team. Beat Portland 21-14 in the championship game and that was the only close game that year. I think Milan's D averaged giving up 4pts per game that year.

I also say the (I think this is the year) 80', 81' Brentwood Academy teams that pasted Milan. Kent Austin was the QB and he was great.

I saw the 84' Marshall Co. team destroy a very good Milan team at Milan. That was probably the fastest team I can remember.

Even though they didn't make it all the way, I have got to put the 86' Bulldogs on the list. Earnest Fields, John Fisher, Larry Smith, Kevin Ward (coach at Camden). All three went to UT. Brentowood Academy beat them 24-21 and then Austin East beat BA.

They probably don't rate real high on the overall greatness scale but last year's Livingston Academy team was the most fun to watch of any team I've ever seen. I'd never heard of them before last year so I'm not a homer. Their QB, I think it was Cates, was pure entertainment and excitement. I know there have been bigger, faster, and more talented kids but that kid was special and made that team special (this year's record speaks to that). They won a gold ball so they're allowed in the conversation.

And weren't there some really good Halls teams back in the 80's during Lyin Larry's tenure?

By the way, based on personal experience, that '71 Tennessee High team gets my vote.

Thanks for the mention of LA!! Wilson Cates(A.K.A. Superman) pulled us out of so many unwinnable(so it seemed) games last year hence the nickname. Here are some of the stats he compiled in his 4 years at LA--All time leader in rushing yardage, #2 all time in passing yards,#2 in TD passes,and most impressive set single season rushing record with 1512 yards which is a TSSAA record for a QB also!! Watching this kid play was a JOY!!! Wish he had 4 or 5 younger brothers!!!

1. 1999 Milan Bulldogs

2. 1996 Memphis Melrose :thumb:

3. 2003 Milan Bulldogs (WOW)

Those teams were amazing. Shutouts week after week. Milan was so great in 99' noone gave them respect even though they killed everyone. In 96 Melrose came to Milan and beat them 56-0. 2003 Milan Bulldogs was the greatest team to not win the state championship. They beat huntingdon 35-7 and then went back to get shafted in the playoffs.

Good list, however probably the best team ever out of Tenn. would be the 96 Brentwood Academy team. Finished #2 in USA today, 15-0, handled a great Riverdale team in the clinic bowl. Had multiple D-1 signees. Also, 97' team was that good too, ran off 15 more in a row, finished #3 that year in USA today, multiple signees out of that senior class as well. Those two teams could match up with anyone. I played against that 94 cleveland team in the clinic bowl and they were awesome.

Sorry I agree.....must have been sleepy last night. You are correct. The BA team from 96 was awsome. Austin Kemp and T. Lee (horrible story). Thanks for reminding me. You know these kind of threads are fun, but if you ask Coach Flatt, he will still say the 86 AE team was the most talented team he has seen. They had everything: Von Reeves at DE/TE, LeRoy Thompson at RB/S, Joe Fishback LB, Mossy Taylor QB/RB, the other DE played at Louisville and the RB Joey Smith who started at Louisville. I know I am missing some more. The amazing thing is that when I was a Senior at Alcoa in 83; Thompson and Fishback actually played a large part of the game and they were Freshman and they won the state that year beating MUS at Vandy who had beaten BA in the Semis. I know all of this because on of my best college buddies was a starting guard on that 83 BA Team. His little brother was also Allstate on the 88 BA Team and he went on to become an All American Track Star at UT (UNIV. OF TEXAS). Sorry for the rambling but I can relive the 80's with the best of them!