2A, Region 5

tornadogold

How weak is Region 5 that Goodpasture is scoring 60+ points on everybody?

Those of you other than GP: Are they running up the score or are they really trying to keep the score down?

I'm just curious after that debacle of a championship game last year. I wasn't sure if GP is that good, or if they're just trying to run the score up on their opponents to make them look better than they really are.

I know Region 2 is really weak, just wondering if it's the same case with Region 5.

I know GP fans are going to get on here and talk about how wonderful they are (I admit, Alcoa fans do the same thing), but I'd like to hear opinions from their opponents.

The 'Boro is still a long way off, and a lot of things can happen, so I'm in now way implying that GP and Alcoa will meet again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you other than GP: Are they running up the score or are they really trying to keep the score down?

I'm just curious after that debacle of a championship game last year. I wasn't sure if GP is that good, or if they're just trying to run the score up on their opponents to make them look better than they really are.

I know Region 2 is really weak, just wondering if it's the same case with Region 5.

I know GP fans are going to get on here and talk about how wonderful they are (I admit, Alcoa fans do the same thing), but I'd like to hear opinions from their opponents.

The 'Boro is still a long way off, and a lot of things can happen, so I'm in now way implying that GP and Alcoa will meet again.

First of all, Region 5 is not weak. They have 3 teams that are legitimate Top 10 in the state with GP, CPA, and Fairview. The rest of the region is weaker than normal, since Ezell and DCA are having a down year.

Secondly, GP is very strong, not overrated and are not running up score. Beating Lipscomb, a top 3A team shows they are not overrated. They have tons of depth, so when they substitute against a weak team, they still dominate. Can't ask the 2nd and 3rd team to just lay down for the opponent. When a bench warmer gets in the game, they deserve to be able to play hard and score if they can.

Alcoa is very strong as well, but keep in mind, CPA plays GP at home in week 10. CPA is being overlooked due to all the press on GP (deserved), but they have a great defense and actually held GP's offense last year pretty much in check. The problem was last year that CPA's offense was young, which is not the case this year. I expect the CPA/GP game to be very close and they will meet again on the way to the 'Boro.

When it is a blow out at half time Coach Martin gives his starters one more drive and takes them out. So Goodpasture's starters have only played 2 full games all year. But when the first team goes out in mid second quarter and the second team comes in its no different. When the 2nd team skill players are just as good as the first team it gets bad for the opponent. Goodpasture coaches have way more class than to try to put 90 or 100 points on someone. The only real teams IMO are Goodpasture and CPA in region 5. CPA and Goodpasture have both improved drastically if you look at both teams scores from last year to this year you know that they are pretty good. And yes the region has went way down from last yr. Last yr's region 5 had 6 teams that had a chance for some playoff football.

Goodpasture doesnt get alot of good press in the paper at least. It seems that it is not goodpasture wins but their opponent looses. But staying on topis yes region 5 is weak excluding the top 3 teams. Goodpasture has had back ups in for the 1st half in each of these 60 point games and the 2nd string is good so they score. As for running up the score i dont think it is ment to be Goodpasture could have scored 100 or more in these games but didnt.

Thanks for your opinions this far.

Divepix: Believe me, Alcoa knows that when the 3rd, 4th string goes in, you can't ask those boys to take a knee and ask them to not play. Everybody on the team works too hard all year long to finally get a shot at playing in a game.

thekid2000: I believe that if GP (or any team) had the opponent's defense handing them the ball on their own 10-15 yard line time after time, the score could get up to 90 without trying, whether the coach has class or not. Alcoa knows about that, too, and took a lot of heat for a playoff game.

I hope I didn't offend any one by asking the question about the region being weak. That definitely was not my intention. I don't know a lot about that region, other than knowing that Goodpasture has had good teams in the past. I was curious to see if the region as a whole (besides GP) was weak, thus making them look better than they are.

Alcoa would be the first to say that our region is weak, and the only real competition we've had is playing Maryville, Fulton, and McCallie.

I look forward to the CPA-Goodpasture game and finding out the outcome.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for your opinions this far.

Divepix: Believe me, Alcoa knows that when the 3rd, 4th string goes in, you can't ask those boys to take a knee and ask them to not play. Everybody on the team works too hard all year long to finally get a shot at playing in a game.

thekid2000: I believe that if GP (or any team) had the opponent's defense handing them the ball on their own 10-15 yard line time after time, the score could get up to 90 without trying, whether the coach has class or not. Alcoa knows about that, too, and took a lot of heat for a playoff game.

I hope I didn't offend any one by asking the question about the region being weak. That definitely was not my intention. I don't know a lot about that region, other than knowing that Goodpasture has had good teams in the past. I was curious to see if the region as a whole (besides GP) was weak, thus making them look better than they are.

Alcoa would be the first to say that our region is weak, and the only real competition we've had is playing Maryville, Fulton, and McCallie.

I look forward to the CPA-Goodpasture game and finding out the outcome.

Good luck!!!

Your question was a good one and does not offend. Region 5 is definitely down top to bottom because DCA and Ezell are down, but at the top the region is strong with GP, DCA, and Fairview.

Alcoa's region may be weak, but when you play Maryville, Fulton, and McCallie pretty much even, you are obviously a strong team. I see Alcoa in the Boro this year.

Your question was a good one and does not offend. Region 5 is definitely down top to bottom because DCA and Ezell are down, but at the top the region is strong with GP, DCA, and Fairview.

Alcoa's region may be weak, but when you play Maryville, Fulton, and McCallie pretty much even, you are obviously a strong team. I see Alcoa in the Boro this year.

Alcoa will be the favorite in the east but I wouldn't be too quick to overlook Tyner. They crushed a pretty good Howard team the other night. I do know that Howard is no Alcoa HOWEVER the win was still one to take a good look at for everyone in that part of the state in 2A.

If you think Region 5AA is weak, look at Region 1AA. Alcoa could beat the 4 seed out of there by 130 points. NO LIE. You remember how bad you guys beat Gattlinburg-Pittman last year??? Well you'll have to try your darndest to keep the score that low this year.

Edited by Rangerbook06

well i hope u boys are ready, cuz u aint goina have it easy in playoffs this year....lewis county, camden, and waverly will be bringin it hard this year and i jus hope u git ready.....so yea, here's tha 1st warnin, 6-2a is ready 4 ya...hope ur ready 4 us!!

Yea you are right 6-2a is ready for a one and done playoff. Its sad when a 1-6 Harpeth fan can say that, why would a waverly fan talk crap when harpeth stayed close if not beat you all in a scrimmage this year??? I feel sorry for CPA to have to play you all in the first round because they are probably going to think you all are going to be a challenge. ha