Rankings Week 8

mjuhb

'course, 11 ain't 14.

OK, at what point does a coach need to flat out tell his players to stop shooting?

I've seen games approaching 20-0 where it was obvious that the leading team was playing with passing and shooting restrictions from their coach, (something like 6 passes in a row and cannot shoot with dominant foot, or along those lines) but still scored several goals even with their coaches' effort to slow them down.

It's unfortunate for both teams in such gross mismatches because neither team gets any benefit from the game. The winning team does not get the challenge they need to improve, and the losing team simply gets humiliated.

So what is an "acceptable" margin of victory?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This debate has been discussed for a long time. I think that the best a coach can do is empty his/her bench early in the game. Let the 2nd team players play full out for a while to get some constructive work for them and then place some sort of minor restrcitions, tell the players to not try to humiliate the losing team (fancy dribbling around and through them, nutmegs, fancy chips, etc.), put a stop to any trash talk and show the losing team some respect. Most of the girls on these better winning teams at some point during their playing careers (club or school) have been on the receiving end of a big time woopin, and they need to be reminded of how that felt.

I have discussed this with my daughter a few times and she feels that it is much more humilating and frustrating to have a team play keep away instead of scoring a few more goals. So get beat 15-0 or have a team just play keep away from them for 3/4 of a game. Which one is going to generate more frustration/anger, generate more pushing, shoving hard tackles out of frustration that could cause injury?

Just keep it respectful, I think that's the key, regardless of the score.

OK... this is much more of a problem in the guys season than in the girls (and much more of an issue for some reason, too) but here are my thoughts:

You CAN do it without running up the score. You just have to have something set up BEFORE the game occurs. I actually spend practice time explaining what we are going to do in certain situations, and have simple hand signals that I give to my captains to relay to the other players.

Too often, the game gets out of hand quickly, and if you don't have a plan already set up, then it is too late.

We still go to goal, we still shoot, but we set parameters.

You also do it discretely, and with class.

If you have a plan, and your players understand that plan and run it, then running up the score is not an issue. If my players don't play by that plan, then they don't play.

There is so much more to coaching than just winning games. We need to teach our players how to win AND lose with grace and class, and how to treat the other team, as well as the refs.

I can't STAND the motto "It is my job to score on you and your job to stop me". I know that I may be old fashioned and in the huge minority, but I will continue to coach this way until I retire.

Some JV teams are better than some other team's varsity. So what happens when the varsity squad scores a quick 6 and the JV players who never get a chance to play come in, play to impress the coach, mom and dad, etc and continue the seige. Is it fair to those JV girls to tell them not to play their hearts out when it may be the only time they get to play all year?

Big G I'm curious as to what types of things are in you plan(s). I don't see how you go to goal, and still shoot without running up the score. Are the girls instructed to miss the shots? I'm not trying to take you to task, just honestly curious.

I have about 3 phases that I use... generally speaking it goes something like this:

No breakaways, you must shoot from outside the 18, and anything off of a cross. Then it would progress to shots from 20+ and anything off of a cross and still no breakaways. Last phase is only out of the air off of a cross (you can specify only headers, or volleys with right/left foot).

With the no breakaway, all you have to do it to tell your player to shoot from further out.

They don't miss on purpose, and sometimes they do score, but in the past 5 seasons, the highest we have scored on any opponent I believe is 8. (this is the guys, I don't coach the girls)

And by having signals understood before the game, the other team doesn't have to "know" what you are doing.

And soccer67, I hold my non starters (JV) to the same standard as my starters. Their time will come. Scoring on an already beaten opponent doesn't impress me. Showing good technical and tactical knowledge, with a whole lot of passion is what impresses me. You also have to have the knowledge of when to start your "limitations". If you wait until 6 goals are already scored, it is too late.

Like I said, I am probably considered to be in the huge minority, and maybe "weak" by some in my thinking. But I feel that I represent a whole lot more than just a soccer team, and it has hurt no one in implimenting this practice.