Rankings Week 8

mjuhb

Big G those are some excellent ideas. Your players get practice taking longer range shots and working on crossing balls in the air which may help your team down the down the road. So something constructive can be gained. Well thought out. I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching players that value of good sportsmanship.

Soccer Gypsy one touch is basically keepaway, it seems to me that there may be more chance of injury because: the passes would likely be less accurate, resulting in more 50:50 balls, which in turn results in more contact.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big G those are some excellent ideas. Your players get practice taking longer range shots and working on crossing balls in the air which may help your team down the down the road. So something constructive can be gained. Well thought out. I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching players that value of good sportsmanship.

Soccer Gypsy one touch is basically keepaway, it seems to me that there may be more chance of injury because: the passes would likely be less accurate, resulting in more 50:50 balls, which in turn results in more contact.

I'd like to see "both" teams empty their bench....Teh game is decided, there is nothing to be gained from this....let the back benchers get some playing time.... ;)

We had the ref come to us last night and ask if we wanted to end a game early. That has never happened before.

We were up 6-0 at the 10 minute mark. At that point we put our JV players in and it was 8-0 at the half.

I agree with BigG (who I do not know but who seems like one of the "good guys" out there). We put restrictions on the JV players that they could only score on 1 touch out of the air. This allowed them to work on carrying the ball wide, serving good balls into the box, and finishing with 1 touch. This slowed down the scoring and still allowed them to play "quality minutes".

I think that playing "keep away" is often more embarassing to the losing team than giving up additional goals.

The opponent has posted on another thread that they appreciated the way that the situation was handled.

Class and respect are the lessons that should be learned in games like this.

yes

I don't think you can tell your jv to not play with their hearts. JV teams don't get many games throughout the season and being able to enter a Varsity game, no matter the team, gives these girls a chance to experience it. But the game wasn't like the JV team just went in and tried to score no matter what. They had restrictions which allowed them to pass the ball around while getting off good quality crosses. The had to make good wall passes along with trying to take people one on one. I understand about the score being high but sometimes you can't help it. I know for a fact that 3-4 of the goals in the game just happened to be balls that were kicked in the general vicinty of the goal and somehow went in. I just don't think a coach can tell their jv not to play.

I don't think you can tell your jv to not play with their hearts. JV teams don't get many games throughout the season and being able to enter a Varsity game, no matter the team, gives these girls a chance to experience it. But the game wasn't like the JV team just went in and tried to score no matter what. They had restrictions which allowed them to pass the ball around while getting off good quality crosses. The had to make good wall passes along with trying to take people one on one. I understand about the score being high but sometimes you can't help it. I know for a fact that 3-4 of the goals in the game just happened to be balls that were kicked in the general vicinty of the goal and somehow went in. I just don't think a coach can tell their jv not to play.

Here's the problem...

Playing with all your heart does not mean scoring whenever you can. Yes, I want them to play with all of their heart. But you can't tell me that there aren't things that these JV girls don't need to work on without the scoring added in.

I think we are basically on the same page, but getting some lines crossed in communication. I'm also not accusing anyone of running up the score, either. 11 may be a little on the high side, but understandable, like you said, sometimes the ball just goes in. The one's I have problems with are the 15-0 or 17-0 we saw a lot of in the guys season. (There was even a 26-0 a few years back) and the team's explanation was the same as above... "the JV played, and you can't tell them not to play all out".

I think at times you can and have to.

same argument every year.

The three dumbest things I read every year about this are:

(1) it's our job to score, it's the other team's job to stop us (repeating BigG)

(2) you can't tell the jv to stop scoring.

Someone every year points out some garbage about the jv players getting their chance to impress the coach. Don't they have every day in practice to do this?

(3) playing keepaway is more demoralizing to a team than running up the score

I agree, playing keepaway is demoralizing, but using that as an excuse to continue scoring is weak.

There are ways. Good coaches can do it. Whatever the magic number is for "too many goals" (8, 10, 11, . . .) a good coach can keep it below that number. If a coach has the respect of his/her players, it is easy.

Why take anyone on one-on-one in a game like this?

Bruin I never said that playing keepaway was demoralizing, I said it was humiliating. I also didn't say that it was a reason to continue scoring. I was saying that it was not a good solution to the situation.

I agree that teams should not run the score up, I also agree with Big G that 11-0 does not really qualify as "running up the score". I've seen scores a lot higher. I like plans like the one that Big G has to get some constructive work for the winning team.

kickgrass: I wasn't referring to any of your posts (not much difference between the words "humiliating" and "demoralizing" is there?)

I agree with what you've posted on this thread.

I'm saying that I don't think the choice should be keepaway vs. scoring. Neither is good when the score is out of hand. Of the two, which is worse? Does it really matter?

Good coaches will handle it with class and not do either.

Go back and check scores this season. Anything in the teens is too much. Actually, anything over 10 is too much in my opinion.

In my experiences one touch passing usually breaks down with the attacking team kicking the ball out of bounds or to the other team. Atleast with a 50/50 challenge my players know there will be contact and can prepare for that contact. With two touches it allows a frustrated player time for a late challenge or a dangerous slide tackle from behind. But that is only from my experiences.

It is true the passes are less accurate, but the only way to make them more accurate is to practice. This forces the team to play at a high level and challenge themselves when the game itself is not challenging.