Outlook for 7AAA

PHargis

thats exactly my thoughts. Who got themselves in foul trouble? Was it both SK and TD? If that was the case then they had no choice. If KM was also in foul trouble they may have dominated in the first half but it was at a price. Coach G and staff are unique coaches but I doubt there is much they will change except try to execute better. oakland must have played well but MJ is a well coached, well schooled team this year that will wind up in the Region and probably the state.

I think it was just TD and KM. With both of those players in foul trouble it makes it very hard to have a quick perimeter defense and keep people from driving to the basket. KM also takes charges very well and makes other players think twice about driving to the basket. I forgot to mention that MJ had a great press defense, and if you have people that aren't used to dribbling around pressure or that just dribble when they have to it makes it very difficult to beat a well executed press. I was just happy to see a competitive game that kept me interested. Both teams played aggresive and the refs let them play for the most part which is what I like to see.

Looks as though Riverdale is the only true team outside of maybe Cookeville that has a real chance of advancing very far in the region. I wonder if Riverdale's lack of size will catch up with them down the road.

I wouldn't say that Riverdale and Cookeville have the only chance of advancing. A couple of well placed shots and breaks in the game could have lead to an Oakland victory. Also if Oakland can develop a third scorer between now and the region they have a legitimate chance. They have a couple of young girls that don't look to shoot, but as the season progresses and they become more comfortable and accustomed to playing on the high school level that could change. And I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of size being a problem. I hate it when people assume just because you are playing against someone who is taller that they have the advantage. Height is only a factor if tall people can utilize their height and size, but I've seen many tall players that aren't able to do that. Plus if a short player is able to utilize their speed and body control then most of the time you can avoid getting blocked. The only other thing about taller players is post presence. If a tall person can't dribble then all you have to do is keep them out of the paint and away from the basket and throw a double team at them from time to time. If they can dribble then it makes them just a little bit more difficult to deal with.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quik, I had to ask these questions to get the information to just get an idea of what happened. You gave one of the best analysis, however distressful, that I have seen a partison give. It was factual and let the reader understand ,however he or she wanted oakland to win, the feelings and the strategy of the players and what they were up against as the game went on. It remained vivid, knowing that they gave it all and at the end it was not just letting MJ players score but KM and TD had played out all of their options and hoped MJ would miss some of those chippies. This had to be one great game and a tribute to the effort given but why would you not expect it to be that way?

I know it took too long to reply, but I think that Oakland's biggest problem in the MJ game was the mental mistakes made on defense. They gave MJ too many open shots around the basket and allowed them to drive to the hole uncontested many times. A team like MJ will capitalize on those mistakes everytime.

At first I thought Oakland's defense was not doing a good job of helping off on drives to the basket, but as the game went on I began to believe that they had made a conscious decision not to help on drivers, except to jab at them, in order to avoid giving up 3's. It looked bad from the stands, but I believe it was a pretty decent strategy that worked fairly well in frustrating MJ from getting their open 3's on the drive and kick and MJ did in fact blow some of those opportunities on drives to the basket. If you check out MJ's scores you'll see that 66 points is the lowest point total that MJ has had since the opening weekend of the season. Prior to this game they had scored 71 or more in 8 consecutive games and had been over 80 5 times during that stretch, so I think 66 points looks pretty good when you take that into consideration. Coach Grandstaff is a very good defensive coach and I don't believe her girls would be that consistently slow to help off unless it was part of the game plan. I could be wrong, but you would have to ask her or someone on their coaching staff to know for sure. ;)

When judging how well a program is doing, the Coach T Schedule strength analysis can be interesting. Of course, a win is a win, but is you schedule cream puffs, it can be misleading.

Coach T Strength of Schedule for 7AAA

Blackman 31st

Cookeville 80th

Lebanon 32nd

Oakland 87th

Riverdale 18th

Siegel 17th

Warren Co 94th

White Co 109th

When judging how well a program is doing, the Coach T Schedule strength analysis can be interesting. Of course, a win is a win, but is you schedule cream puffs, it can be misleading.

Coach T Strength of Schedule for 7AAA

Blackman 31st

Cookeville 80th

Lebanon 32nd

Oakland 87th

Riverdale 18th

Siegel 17th

Warren Co 94th

White Co 109th

Pres, this week is Alabama week for the stars, do you have ther schedule?

[Huntsville Times Ladies Classic

Brought to you by: Huntsville Hospital Sports Therapy and the Orthapedic Center

Lincoln County

9 12/21/2006 12:30 13

Aux Gym

12/21/2006 6:30 Jim Hill 12/22/2006 12:30

17 Main Gym Aux Gym 19

Benjamin Russell

12/21/2006 12:30

12/22/2006 5:00 Main Gym 12/22/2006 6:30

23 Main Gym Decatur Main Gym 26

Butler

10 12/21/2006 2:00 14

Aux Gym

12/21/2006 6:30 Hillcrest 12/22/2006 12:30

Aux Gym Main Gym

Siegel

12/23/2006 2:30 12/21/2006 2:00

Main Gym Main Gym 12/23/2006 7:00

Jeff Davis Main Gym

7TH PLACE CHAMPION

Coffee

11 12/21/2006 3:30 15

Aux Gym

12/21/2006 8:00 Hazel Green 12/22/2006 2:00

18 Main Gym Aux Gym 20

Blackman

12/21/2006 3:30

12/22/2006 5:00 Main Gym

Aux Gym Austin 12/22/2006 8:00

Main Gym

Johnson

12 12/21/2006 5:00 16

Aux Gym

12/21/2006 8:00 Arab 12/22/2006 2:00

Aux Gym Main Gym

L13 21 Erwin

12/22/2006 6:30 8

Aux Gym 24 12/21/2006 5:00

Aux Gym LOSER G19

L14 12/23/2006 4:00 Bob Jones 25

Main Gym 5TH PLACE 12/23/2006 5:30 3RD PLACE

L15 Main Gym

12/22/2006 8:00

Aux Gym LOSER G20

Riverdale's Tourney in Alabama has not been posted. Could someone post it? Also Lebanon's games have not been either. White county,85 Warrier has not psted either about their games. Blackman is having a hard season. Can anyone post on these games?

White Couny girls play in a 32 team tourney in Berea, KY starting Wed. morning at 8:30 against Hopkins Co. Central.

Edited by 85warrior

Quik, I had to ask these questions to get the information to just get an idea of what happened. You gave one of the best analysis, however distressful, that I have seen a partison give. It was factual and let the reader understand ,however he or she wanted oakland to win, the feelings and the strategy of the players and what they were up against as the game went on. It remained vivid, knowing that they gave it all and at the end it was not just letting MJ players score but KM and TD had played out all of their options and hoped MJ would miss some of those chippies. This had to be one great game and a tribute to the effort given but why would you not expect it to be that way?

I was really expecting Oakland to pull an upset and it did look that way for almost 3 quarters. When I give my opinion of a game I try to give an unbiased look from all angles if I can, but I'm not perfect and may miss a lot of things behind the scenes. The only thing that had me concerned before the game was maybe Oakland might come out nervous or too excited , and make a couple of little mistakes that could have killed them early. Some of their players probably haven't been in a real pressured situation and might not understand how to handle losing a lead late in the game. They never gave up though and I was very happy to see that.

At first I thought Oakland's defense was not doing a good job of helping off on drives to the basket, but as the game went on I began to believe that they had made a conscious decision not to help on drivers, except to jab at them, in order to avoid giving up 3's. It looked bad from the stands, but I believe it was a pretty decent strategy that worked fairly well in frustrating MJ from getting their open 3's on the drive and kick and MJ did in fact blow some of those opportunities on drives to the basket. If you check out MJ's scores you'll see that 66 points is the lowest point total that MJ has had since the opening weekend of the season. Prior to this game they had scored 71 or more in 8 consecutive games and had been over 80 5 times during that stretch, so I think 66 points looks pretty good when you take that into consideration. Coach Grandstaff is a very good defensive coach and I don't believe her girls would be that consistently slow to help off unless it was part of the game plan. I could be wrong, but you would have to ask her or someone on their coaching staff to know for sure. <_<

I thought it was a great defensive effort. In my opinion though, it is better to give up a contested 3 than an uncontested layup, just because the 3 pointer is a lot more difficult to shoot and nobody at this level is perfect. MJ probably had missed a couple of opportunities close, but I just thought they had too many. I just know instinctively I wouldn't be able to let someone drive through the lane without me stepping out on them. It would drive me crazy.

I think it was just TD and KM. With both of those players in foul trouble it makes it very hard to have a quick perimeter defense and keep people from driving to the basket. KM also takes charges very well and makes other players think twice about driving to the basket. I forgot to mention that MJ had a great press defense, and if you have people that aren't used to dribbling around pressure or that just dribble when they have to it makes it very difficult to beat a well executed press. I was just happy to see a competitive game that kept me interested. Both teams played aggresive and the refs let them play for the most part which is what I like to see.

I wouldn't say that Riverdale and Cookeville have the only chance of advancing. A couple of well placed shots and breaks in the game could have lead to an Oakland victory. Also if Oakland can develop a third scorer between now and the region they have a legitimate chance. They have a couple of young girls that don't look to shoot, but as the season progresses and they become more comfortable and accustomed to playing on the high school level that could change. And I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of size being a problem. I hate it when people assume just because you are playing against someone who is taller that they have the advantage. Height is only a factor if tall people can utilize their height and size, but I've seen many tall players that aren't able to do that. Plus if a short player is able to utilize their speed and body control then most of the time you can avoid getting blocked. The only other thing about taller players is post presence. If a tall person can't dribble then all you have to do is keep them out of the paint and away from the basket and throw a double team at them from time to time. If they can dribble then it makes them just a little bit more difficult to deal with.

Riverdale had trouble with Shelbyville's size. I agree size doesn't mean success, but talented size matters