Outlook for 7AAA

PHargis

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably am a little tough when it comes to my critiques of Oakland. It's just that I can't stand to see poor defense being played. In the two games Oakland lost, they were beat the same way both times, with little to no defense on drives and back door cuts. Plus I must vent my frustrations somewhere, and to critique my own is always better than demeaning another teams victory in a well played game.

I wasn't able to see a lot of Oakland's earlier games, so I really can't say it's been happening all season, but maybe they have just been too relaxed lately.

Me and you both Quik. I was a bball manager at Oakland, so I kinda have a understanding of how things go. I dont think any Oakland fans expected an 8-2 record at this point, but the way we have lost those games have been discouraging. Oakland needs to develop a 3rd scoring option so they will be ok when games like LaVergne come along. I feel that third option could be Hayley Randolph, but she has to start looking to shoot, then again it may just be a comfort level with her being that she is a freshmen, but the only game where she did take intiative, she scored 13 points, Oakland needs to see more of that from her

Update from Huntsville Classic

Lincoln County over Jim Hill of Jackson, MS by 20

Siegel 37 vs Jeff Davis 52

8 to 10 point game for most of the contest. Siegel contained 6'4" Cassie Moore, Auburn signee, to under her 15 point average.

Jeff Davis led 27-18 at half time

Siegenthaler...7

Davis..............2

Wright............5

Faulkner.........5

Parrott...........13

Waggener......2

Spurlock........3

Siegel had 17 turn overs

i saw what 14 posted and I said the same thing. I waould say this was a ball control game the first half and then when they played the second half Cookeville could not put the ball in the basket with Shelbyville 's pressure. it was a low scoring game.

Cookeville was outscored 14-2 in the 3rd quarter. I believe Shelbyville was playing without Alex Jarrell again tonight because of sickness.

StarsPres, you may have been conservative on the # of Siegel turnovers,

and I appreciate you for that;

but regretably I counted 25. And If you were to count the # of blocked shots (the shot blocker and Auburn signee lived up to her reputation) that resulted in the same outcome as the turnovers we are over thirty as a team. We need to certainly improve in this category. Our team did make some steals and forced some turnovers that reduced the total affect of our miscues.

Another area that we need to deal with is missed defensive assignments in the paint from either fast breaks or defensive switching schemes. I'm not sure how it happened, but this game had similarities to the Brentwood Academy game where they exploited us on the transition with our players not gettin back resulting in consecutive scoring from our opponent.

Siegel did a great job breaking or beating the press as Jeff Davis pressed every possesion but we had many 2 on 1 scoring opportunities that resulted in simply bringing the ball out front and setting up the play rather than attempting to score from the player#advantage. Siegel did score off some of these opportunities but many more were diffused.

I really believe our team can rise to these and other challenges and be a contender for the District Championship and beyond again as our coaching staff develops our players. We have played some good teams with many of these players signed to play at the next level, and I see some glimpes of our team coming together which could really become a great team and fun to watch.

StarsPres, you may have been conservative on the # of Siegel turnovers,

and I appreciate you for that;

but regretably I counted 25. And If you were to count the # of blocked shots (the shot blocker and Auburn signee lived up to her reputation) that resulted in the same outcome as the turnovers we are over thirty as a team. We need to certainly improve in this category. Our team did make some steals and forced some turnovers that reduced the total affect of our miscues.

Another area that we need to deal with is missed defensive assignments in the paint from either fast breaks or defensive switching schemes. I'm not sure how it happened, but this game had similarities to the Brentwood Academy game where they exploited us on the transition with our players not gettin back resulting in consecutive scoring from our opponent.

Siegel did a great job breaking or beating the press as Jeff Davis pressed every possesion but we had many 2 on 1 scoring opportunities that resulted in simply bringing the ball out front and setting up the play rather than attempting to score from the player#advantage. Siegel did score off some of these opportunities but many more were diffused.

I really believe our team can rise to these and other challenges and be a contender for the District Championship and beyond again as our coaching staff develops our players. We have played some good teams with many of these players signed to play at the next level, and I see some glimpes of our team coming together which could really become a great team and fun to watch.

Good post and analysis. Irregardless, looks to be a lot of turnovers. Pressing has not bothered Siegel in any game except WC. Objectively since I was

unable to be there, to only be beaten by the point spread and have that many turnovers must have meant jeff davis had a number of turnovers also and could have been as many as 20 themselves. I doubt that this game impressed many fans on either side. But did say that defensively, half court may not have been bad for Siegel. This means that there were 50 possessions in which the ball changed hands without a shot and lets say that each team took 50 shots a game, that is 150 opportunities in 32 minutes, saying there were not many offensive boards and that would be a shot every 12 or 13 seconds.

Since Siegel runs a methodical offense and very likely did not want to get into a running game with jeff Davis, your comment on being methodical and "bringing the ball back out" could be discounted if a good shot was taken and a decent percentage was scored and Siegel controlled the tempo. but with a shot or turnover every 13 seconds by both teams, it didn't sound like there was too much bringing the ball back out ws a bad idea and maybe should have been done more.

But even with all of these things, to play that close says that things were happening on both ends of the court and both you and the pres thought they had a chance to win. Every little step forward is a great step. Good luck with Hillcrest and I am familiar with the team that beat them Tupelo, Miss. They played at Columbia and are very good.

Edited by PHargis

Evidently Siegel beat Hillcrest very handily. Don't have the score but Siegel plays next at 6:00.

Siegel won by 34 I think. Starters were all out by the 4th quarter. Siegel could have scored 100 today. Played the last 4 minutes of the quarter with 2 freeshmen and 3 Soph and still increased the lead. Everyone got some quality minutes and almost everyone scored.

Siegel won by 34 I think. Starters were all out by the 4th quarter. Siegel could have scored 100 today. Played the last 4 minutes of the quarter with 2 freeshmen and 3 Soph and still increased the lead. Everyone got some quality minutes and almost everyone scored.

That's the way its supposed to be done in those type of games. Really no sense in pouring it on. Hoped the freshman and sophmores got at least a half of play in or more. Waiting for 6:00. Do you know who you play?

Siegel led from tip off to final buzzer by 10 -17. Hill got to within 5 in the 3rd, but Siegel went on a run and jumped back out front by 17. Siegenthaler led Siegel with 15 and Parrott scored 12. Poorly called game with contact, roughness and obnoxious behavior by the Mississippi team allowed. The only game I have ever attended where the losing team continued to taunt the winner into the locker room.