Sullivan South @ Unicoi County

HiGipper

What statement were they trying to make? I don't think you earn anybody's respect by trying to run up the score. You can blame it on the referees, you can even blame it on the opposing coach (which in this case would be idiotic), but running up the score is not generally viewed as a classy thing to do.

I understand your point and agree with you to a large degree however (and this is not to justify my posts or anyone elses actions because I do not and they do not feel any remorse for any statements or actions made) you have no idea what degree of hideous sportsmanship we endured at Unicoi. If you did you would sympathize somewhat. I don't ask that anyone cut us any slack but if you were not a witness to the abomination that occured Friday night you have no clue and should not crusify us until you understand the detail of the blatant corruption of power the referees imposed on Sullivan South. Not to mention the fans. I wish we could have walked away spraying rose petals as we left but we were human after all.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like there are much more productive methods of venting than coming on to a high school football blog and ripping a county's coach and fans; not to mention supposing a conspiracy between an official and Unicoi. If you're that disturbed about the officiating (and I'll admit that that is justified), than write the TSSAA- file an official complaint against that official- provide a copy of the game film- contact your athletic director to request that he never officiate another game you play. Take positive action.

If your coach's reasoning for keeping starters in the duration of the game or to keep the ball in the air was based on his frustration against the official in quesiton, then he is wrong. He would have punished the Blue Devils on the field and no one else. If he based his decision on toning up his passing game or polishing his run blocking for the post season, then I see no reason to criticize him. Either way- He owes no one an apology. I'm saying that he needs not apologize for his own actions- that being said- how can you expect Coach Cooper to aplogize for the actions of everyone else? Do you want an apology for the officiating...seek one from the TSSAA. Do you want an apology from the fans...seek one from the athletic director (he's the game administrator).

I'm not going to disrespect you by breaking down your post sentence by sentence, but point blame and accusations at those who deserve it. And, more importantly, take action that results in a solution- rather than ranting anonymously on a public website.

To the other Sullivan South fans and players, congratulations on a sharp/decisive victory. I will not let the opinions of one person bring down my feelings about your system and community. Stay healthy and continue backing your Rebels- you all have a great team to cheer for every Friday night.

Good post, Hustle_Will_Win. Your class wears well. :thumb:

I understand your point and agree with you to a large degree however (and this is not to justify my posts or anyone elses actions because I do not and they do not feel any remorse for any statements or actions made) you have no idea what degree of hideous sportsmanship we endured at Unicoi. If you did you would sympathize somewhat. I don't ask that anyone cut us any slack but if you were not a witness to the abomination that occured Friday night you have no clue and should not crusify us until you understand the detail of the blatant corruption of power the referees imposed on Sullivan South. Not to mention the fans. I wish we could have walked away spraying rose petals as we left but we were human after all.

I can only address what I have seen on here. There is no excuse for running up the score to get even with the referees. That is ridiculous.

I repeatedly read the posts where you blame the opposing coach for not apologizing for the referees actions. I don't think I've ever heard someone demand an apology from someone for something they had no control over. The hosting coach could not be responsible for the officials' calls.

I hope that Sullivan South has a successful post-season, but should that not come to pass. Please stay calm. I don't know you, but on here at least, you seem like a "sore winner".

Thanks Jamesbad. On another note- I noticed that #4 and #5 were showing signs of injury a few moments before the end of the game. It may have been my over analyzing eye grabbing ahold of a trip or stumble, but both players seemed to be limping gingerly between plays with about two minutes left. Both of these young men are as crucial to South's success as any other member of the team, and I hope that it was nothing more than usual game fatigue. Any information would be appreciated- good luck in this week's preparation South!

Edited by Hustle_Will_Win

I can only address what I have seen on here. There is no excuse for running up the score to get even with the referees. That is ridiculous.

I repeatedly read the posts where you blame the opposing coach for not apologizing for the referees actions. I don't think I've ever heard someone demand an apology from someone for something they had no control over. The hosting coach could not be responsible for the officials' calls.

I hope that Sullivan South has a successful post-season, but should that not come to pass. Please stay calm. I don't know you, but on here at least, you seem like a "sore winner".

I don't really want to continue discussing this because I have said what I intended to say and you are correct it does seem that way but it wasn't just one or two calls. It was the whole evening. It was the kind of things that make one think, "Hey this is over the line now what is going on here". And that was early in the second period. It only got worse and more intense. If I did not feel corruption was involved I would not have involved Coach Cooper. I am 100% convinced that no seasoned coach in this area...Stubbs, Clark etc. would have let the contest continue within the context that it was happening at the time. It only tainted Unicoi County. And I reiterate, their boys played a fine game and displayed great sportsmanship as well. The point about taking the argument elswhere was well taken and has since been done but I can't help but continue to feel that Coach Cooper could have had some sort of control over what was unfolding. And to take it a step further, if a Coach does not have that power then he should have. Because he was made to look foolish as innocent as he may have been.

I have no doubt that there were some horrible calls, there are some in every game. I just feel that if there was a "great conspiracy" going on, a tv sports guy, a newspaper reporter, or at least a lot more people than this would be hollering. Just an observation, and you're right, this topic is probably past discussion.

I don't really want to continue discussing this because I have said what I intended to say and you are correct it does seem that way but it wasn't just one or two calls. It was the whole evening. It was the kind of things that make one think, "Hey this is over the line now what is going on here". And that was early in the second period. It only got worse and more intense. If I did not feel corruption was involved I would not have involved Coach Cooper. I am 100% convinced that no seasoned coach in this area...Stubbs, Clark etc. would have let the contest continue within the context that it was happening at the time. It only tainted Unicoi County. And I reiterate, their boys played a fine game and displayed great sportsmanship as well. The point about taking the argument elswhere was well taken and has since been done but I can't help but continue to feel that Coach Cooper could have had some sort of control over what was unfolding. And to take it a step further, if a Coach does not have that power then he should have. Because he was made to look foolish as innocent as he may have been.

Please stop talking about this, coaches do not hire officals and I have never seen one stop a game and say you are making a lot of bad calls aganist the other team I think we should stop the game. Tell me of a game that has occurred and the opposing Coach has stopped the game , never heard of it... ....lets get on with the season .......

WhoaNellie--I agree with you.

Compusatman---In many years of playing and watching football, I've never seen a coach stop a game to tell the ref to clean it up, that's ridiculous to suggest. As Nellie says, the coach does not hire the ref or pay the ref, so it's silly to think there was a conspiracy. So, this is dead, pls get on to the next challenge ahead.

Others--if you're crying about "running up the score"---hey, you know what??? It's football, and that's life----quit crying, pick yourself up and get prepared for the next challenge. Whew!!!!! pls, let's move to something fresh. Hope to see you all at South tonight.