Campbell Co Coach on TV for Supplying Creatine

Topgun

Being in Middle, not East, Tennessee, I really don't have a dog in this hunt. Just trying to get educated on the issue with a few questions.

Are the suppliments banned by the TSSAA or the national organization?

Can an individual under the age of 18 legally purchase the substance?

Were players REQUIRED to use the suppliments or were they offered as an individual choice?

If not required, were the suppliments encouraged by the coaching staff?

Thanks,

VI

to answer your questions

1) never seen a rule that has banned them but that doesn't mean there's not one

2) i'm not sure

3) He (coach) even said in the tape that he encouraged them to take it (another way of saying take this or don't play(speculation on that last part)).

Also I don't think the CC staff are very good examples for thier team due to something that I saw happen at a JV game earlier this year.

What did you see? just curious.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to answer your questions

1) never seen a rule that has banned them but that doesn't mean there's not one

2) i'm not sure

3) He (coach) even said in the tape that he encouraged them to take it (another way of saying take this or don't play(speculation on that last part)).

What did you see? just curious.

there is no TSSAA rule banning them...

teh director of schools has stated that coach wells' job as coach is not in jeopardy...

not really sure if he supplied them or not but did allow them in the fieldhouse...

did all prents know about the availability of teh substance4???

not sure about that...

and I too an curious...

what did you see at a JV game...

As far as the creatine and protien, I really don't see anything wrong with it. These are legal supplements for strength gains. If people want to complain about what the schools give our kids how about the crappy lunches full of fat and junk machines through out the schools.

AMEN . . . I couldn't agree more.

Although, I don't believe a coach should provide supplements to their athletes without the knowledge of the parents.

And while it's true that science does not prove taking creatine is in any way negative, it's just a common good practice that individuals who are still growing just focus on a solid nutritional diet and not worry about additional ways to gain a small advantage.

there is no TSSAA rule banning them...

teh director of schools has stated that coach wells' job as coach is not in jeopardy...

not really sure if he supplied them or not but did allow them in the fieldhouse...

did all prents know about the availability of teh substance4???

not sure about that...

and I too an curious...

what did you see at a JV game...

Well I don't want to sound anal but during this game one of the CC players took a hard (legal shot) during a kickoff return. This was near the end of the game, when the CC player came off the field to line up on the 50 to shake hands with the opposing team he left his helmet on and took a helmet from a teammate to use on the opposing player that had blocked him. Needless to say folks in the stands started yelling and losing their cool quickly over this. A younger coach (do not know his name) came up to this player laughing and took the helmet and hid it. Knowing what happened in CC just a year ago you would think they would not be attitudes like this especially when someone could be seriously hurt. The father of the young man (who was totally oblivous to what was going on celebrating with his teammates shaking hands with opposing players etc.etc.) from the opposing team went on the field (peacefully I might add) to ask the CC coaches if they were going to talk to their player about his actions he was met with a very combative attitude and was actually told by the coach that took the helmet that it did not happen and he better get off the field. All the other coaches were very beligerent toward the parent as well. Don't get me wrong I understand that coaches have to take care of thier players individually and that young man did not need to be severely punished but you have to at least give the impression that you care. I mean there is no need in getting on TV and crying about the sad situation that happened there last year when you can't handle something as small as this. One of the other parents suggested that the father contact the CC schools administration over the way he was treated but he stated that he bet that would just be a waste of time. Anyway that is the short version and let me say I am not against CC I have many friends and family from there.

Also concerning the supplements I think as long as it is legal and parents have knowledge of it there should be no problem.

Edited by don222

Well I don't want to sound anal but during this game one of the CC players took a hard (legal shot) during a kickoff return. This was near the end of the game, when the CC player came off the field to line up on the 50 to shake hands with the opposing team he left his helmet on and took a helmet from a teammate to use on the opposing player that had blocked him. Needless to say folks in the stands started yelling and losing their cool quickly over this. A younger coach (do not know his name) came up to this player laughing and took the helmet and hid it. Knowing what happened in CC just a year ago you would think they would not be attitudes like this especially when someone could be seriously hurt. The father of the young man (who was totally oblivous to what was going on celebrating with his teammates shaking hands with opposing players etc.etc.) from the opposing team went on the field (peacefully I might add) to ask the CC coaches if they were going to talk to their player about his actions he was met with a very combative attitude and was actually told by the coach that took the helmet that it did not happen and he better get off the field. All the other coaches were very beligerent toward the parent as well. Don't get me wrong I understand that coaches have to take care of thier players individually and that young man did not need to be severely punished but you have to at least give the impression that you care. I mean there is no need in getting on TV and crying about the sad situation that happened there last year when you can't handle something as small as this. One of the other parents suggested that the father contact the CC schools administration over the way he was treated but he stated that he bet that would just be a waste of time. Anyway that is the short version and let me say I am not against CC I have many friends and family from there.

Also concerning the supplements I think as long as it is legal and parents have knowledge of it there should be no problem.

This might be the real reason that the J.V. schedule was cancelled at CCHS. There's been talk about various reasons and this might be the truth here.

Edited by MrSandman

OK. I've waited for some other adult to jump on this thread and say the right things about Creatine Monohydrate but so far...nada. I have a couple of athletes and I had to become educated about the suppliment issues. I studied Creatine Monohydrate (CM) Amino Acids (AA) Human Growth Hormone (HGH) along with a couple of actual "steroids" for about 2 years before deciding on what to let my athletes use. I consider myself somewhat of an expert on CM, its delivery method, and the do's and don'ts of its use. First of all this directive is addressed to all the parents on this thread...If you don't completely understand CM how can you let your child use it. There are tons of misconceptions regarding CM and I will list the most important features.

1. The powdered form of CM should be avoided. The reasons are cost, hard on kidneys, hard on liver, hard on complete digestive system, and difficult to ingest.

2. CM can only be taken with water. Caffiene, Citric Acid, and Fructose all destroy CM's ability to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Glucose is the only "sugar" that does not turn CM into "Creatanine" which is a waste product. It is not commercially available.

3. CM requires 8-10 10oz. glasses of water a day while actively using the suppliment otherwise localized dehydration can occur. Local dehydration happens when a thigh or calf muscle runs out of water and steals its needed water from the closest supply (wherever that may be) and a resulting cramp occurs. The worst case scenario is a heart attack.

If you are listening to the guys at the gym then you are making terrible mistakes. Find yourself a doctor or nurse practitioner that works out with CM and more than likely you will find a knowledgeable person. I do have printed information to include routines for all sports and suggested product brands. CM does work and is pretty powerful if used correctly. I will try and post back an address where you can request more information.

OK. I've waited for some other adult to jump on this thread and say the right things about Creatine Monohydrate but so far...nada. I have a couple of athletes and I had to become educated about the suppliment issues. I studied Creatine Monohydrate (CM) Amino Acids (AA) Human Growth Hormone (HGH) along with a couple of actual "steroids" for about 2 years before deciding on what to let my athletes use. I consider myself somewhat of an expert on CM, its delivery method, and the do's and don'ts of its use. First of all this directive is addressed to all the parents on this thread...If you don't completely understand CM how can you let your child use it. There are tons of misconceptions regarding CM and I will list the most important features.

1. The powdered form of CM should be avoided. The reasons are cost, hard on kidneys, hard on liver, hard on complete digestive system, and difficult to ingest.

2. CM can only be taken with water. Caffiene, Citric Acid, and Fructose all destroy CM's ability to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Glucose is the only "sugar" that does not turn CM into "Creatanine" which is a waste product. It is not commercially available.

3. CM requires 8-10 10oz. glasses of water a day while actively using the suppliment otherwise localized dehydration can occur. Local dehydration happens when a thigh or calf muscle runs out of water and steals its needed water from the closest supply (wherever that may be) and a resulting cramp occurs. The worst case scenario is a heart attack.

If you are listening to the guys at the gym then you are making terrible mistakes. Find yourself a doctor or nurse practitioner that works out with CM and more than likely you will find a knowledgeable person. I do have printed information to include routines for all sports and suggested product brands. CM does work and is pretty powerful if used correctly. I will try and post back an address where you can request more information.

Great post. As a parent I just think it is a shame that our kids and us feel it is necessary to do these things for a sport. I also have athletes in the house but do not like the use of any products (hey Vioxx was safe at one time). Whats wrong with good nutrition and God given talent ?

99% of all college athletes use CM in addition to some other form of supplimentation.

90% of all premier high school (state championship quality) athletes use CM and other suppliments.

The problem at the high school level is that the parents are not involved and the athletes experiment on their own. They experiment with dangerous suppliments and by and large are ignorant to the facts. Most premier school coaches are involved in the sale or at least the advisement of certain products and usually are the ones making the money. Some of these kids are spending $200-$300 dollars a month. Anything more than $50-$75 dollars a month is wasted. Trust me, the Campbell County coach is not alone. They are going to use them sooner or later so I advise to get the facts straight and educate them and put them on the right path starting out.

The problem is all parents or coaches will not do thier homework as you have done.

Good post. Most high school players that goes on to play in college are put on creatine right away......before they even get to campus.