Powell central

PowellFan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why people should learn to stay at central. lets see, kenny,lee, baron, and how many of these people won against central????

on a serious note that really stinks about o.j. i hope its not too bad. i'd hate to see someone that good get put out. Why were starters in the last 20 seconds anyways???

Because Powell was still trying to get some points on the board and Abba threw a pass that was tipped by both Cruze and a Central DB and another Central DB picked it off. While the Central DB was running the ball, Blair tried to get a big hit behind the ball carrier, and when he did that he led with his helmet and was injured. It was sad that he was injured enough to have an ambulance called, but it was simply a hit that wasn't necessary. They said that before they took him to the hospital that he could move his limbs and he could resond to questions. I dont think this injury could be life threatening, but it is probably enough to keep him out of the rest of the regular season games and maybe a play-off game or two.

Now about the game. This game was a defensive struggle as the offenses did really move the ball consistantly. It all came down to big plays and as you can tell by the score, Central had more big plays, alot more. Powell still needs to find their identity as an offense. The Farragut game is where they NEED to be at if they want to go anywhere in the play-offs.

I just don't think Farragut was prepared for the veer look that Powell threw at the Admirals that week. Obviously, we haven't come close to that kind of offensive output since then, and I just think that teams are having a much easier time preparing for it now that the cat has been let out of the bag.

A lot of key things were obvious against Central. Powell needs Kenny Cruze at QB in order to win, so hopefully his hand will heal in time for the playoffs. This team has no speed on the outside, both offensively and defensively. Central ate them up anytime the Bobcats ran outside of the tackles. The offensive line was getting blown up so often that running the ball was simply impossible (in large part due to the number of perfectly timed blitzes). The only success Powell had was on a hard count, which led to a few offside penalties and their lone touchdown (the hard count exposed a linebacker blitz, leaving the slot receiver wide open over the middle on that touchdown pass). I'm surprised Coach Lowe didn't use the hard count more often, because it definitely exposed the Central defense on almost every occasion that it was used. The Panthers also had success when Matt Abba rolled out of the pocket, avoiding the inside rush. All in all, Central had a lot more big plays, and a lot more big play athletes than Powell. Still, neither team played very well.

Looking at Central, they look like they are very close to putting something special together. There is a lot of potential there, and if they can beat West, they could do some damage in the playoffs. If they continue to play sloppy, they may not make it out of the 1st round of the playoffs. The same goes for Powell. If Powell can get Kenny Cruze out of the pocket (once he's healthy) and create a good run/pass option, this team might be able to put up some numbers on offense. The defense is there, but if this team can't score on offense, a good defense isn't going to do you much good.

Edited by osunut2

I also wanted to add that it was difficult to see what happened at the end of Friday night's game, but after seeing what happened in the Miami-Florida International game, it is refreshing that fans from both Powell and Central could come together with their prayers for Orlando, instead of hating on each other.

I also wanted to add that it was difficult to see what happened at the end of Friday night's game, but after seeing what happened in the Miami-Florida International game, it is refreshing that fans from both Powell and Central could come together with their prayers for Orlando, instead of hating on each other.

Amen Bro....as much as I get on here and dog the Powell fans, I had the utmost respect for them on Friday night. Even though the game was out of reach and their team had lost, most stayed at the field and offered their support and prayers the entire time they were treating O.J. I'm sure it meant a lot to Blair's family.

I'm also hoping that Orlando will be OK. It was a wicked collison, but a clean play. Several of the coaches and players were going to the hospital. If anyone gets an update, please pass it along. I also hope that Wilson is not hurt too badly. These two are proboably our most talented players.

HTV--It was good to meet and talk with you. I also listened to some of the broadcast. You guys do a nice job. I also wondered if you had the stats for the penalty yards in the game. What was printed in the paper could not have been correct.

Over the years, both of these teams have played a high level of ball. They have been amongst the best in the area and in 4a. You would not have known that from watching these two last nite. It was an ugly, ugly, sloppy game. Central had to have had at least 6 holding penalties. Powell had absolutely no running game and very little skill position talent other than Cruze. I'm not sure if McMillian is given an option on passing plays who to throw to, but he has to make better decisions. When 3 guys are covering the reciever, he has to look for other options or take off with it. Powell's O line did a very poor job of blocking. Central's linemen many times were there just as the back got the ball from the QB.

Some positives were the play of Central's D as a whole. I thought they were very good last nite. Powell's pass coverage was good last nite. This game was intense and did have a playoff atmosphere to it. Both of these have a lot to work on before the playoffs begin and really, no playoff positions have been settled between Central, Powell and West. Central has Clinton next week while the big region game on Friday is West/Powell.

It was my pleasure, as well, Medman. I appreciate your stopping by and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Our stats, which are unofficial but usually pretty close to the official stats, had 4 penalties against Powell for 30 yards and 8 against Central for 50. There were also at least 4 other flags thrown that resulted in the declination of the penalty, so it could have easily been a whole lot more on both teams.

As for Orlando Blair, I am certainly elated that his injury is not worse than it is. We had heard that he may not even play against Powell because of the concussion the week before. I don't know if that played in to the injury Friday or not, but I am thankful that he is apparently going to be OK.

I heard that some in the stands questioned the legallity of the hit. I've seen it on film at least a half dozen times. It was a clean hit from both perspectives. There was nothing wrong with the hit.

As far as the communities, I just hope that whatever bad feelings there are between the two schools/programs can die down. There have been multiple kids go from one school to the other - from one zone to the other. It's not just been Central kids coming to Powell. Both schools and communities have a lot of good kids and the schools are both quality schools.

Again, I look forward to seeing you again down the road.