Parents just don't understand!!

fannerj

what really gets me about parents is when they start saying stupid things like, "she only gets to play b/c....the coach likes her, her parents paid off the coach, she's sleeping with the coach, etc." i mean, get real. coaches play the people they think give them the best chance to win the game. period.

anybody agree? i can't stand it when parents try to cover up that their kid is not very good and make remarks like the ones above as reasons why little susie isn't playing. and when the kids hear the parents say things like that, they start disliking the coach and believing it and pretty soon it spreads like wildfire amongst the team. i totally agree with the post about not caring about the team winning but about MY kid only. some parents go so far as to yell for their own kid during a game but never for anybody else's. maybe AT somebody else's...many times it's not the kids that aren't team players, but the parents. most of the time, however the parents behave and think, that's how the kids will behave and think. maybe something to think about parents!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks. i'm a former player who is now a young coach, and i am seeing why so few people are going into teaching and coaching. many times parents never get their facts straight and get the whole story--only their kid's story. they will back their kid no matter what. maybe i'm old school, but that kind of behavior is one of the main problems in our schools today. kids don't have to face the consequences for their actions b/c their parents will stand behind them no matter what. whatever happened to the days when kids got a whipping at school and then got a lot worse one when they got home? how i long for those days again...

very good post ptguard. if the parents could sit through some of the practices, conditioning and other workouts they might realize why their little darling isnt getting the playing time they want. players make their time on the court not only during times for practice, but also on there own time. kids who want pt need to stay off the phone, computer games and put a basketball in their hands.

Some parents are great. Others are a real bummer. I really wish parents would just but out! Most parents are wanna be coaches - trying to live their lives out in their kids! Get real parents, let the coaches coach and you sit and cheer. Or better still get a degree and become a coach!

just read this whole post tonight. sometimes i wonder why parents act like they do....and sometimes i wonder why players act like they do. let's not forget there are some COACHES out there that play the favorites or the ones whose parents are most powerfull. it bothers me that the parents do seem a little worse now than years back. but most of the kids who have problems are the ones whose parents are yelling in the stands for them only and not the team. i will always admire those coaches who get the most out of their players. i was a player who although may have not been the most talented in order to play alot but had the most desire and leadership on our team. my coach realized that and tried to get me to use it to get to my teamates. it worked and although i did not fully understand it then(and my parents didn't like me not playing either) i appreciate it now. taught me alot in life. just bc you are not part of the action on the floor doesn't mean you are not part of the outcome. by the way...goodmark to you parothead14....i admire your thoughts. where have you coached?

[Edited by pantherman on 6/2/02 12:04A]

• 3 months later...

Even the Fresh Prince couldn't have said it better. When I played ball, I was the worst guy on the team, but my parents never complained about it. I respect coaches who don't play the parent game. I used to coach church-league basketball, and I actually had a kid one time just walk on to the court without my permission. I stood up to him. I know how coaches feel, and I say thank you to the ones who provide discipline to their team.

Even the Fresh Prince couldn't have said it better. When I played ball, I was the worst guy on the team, but my parents never complained about it. I respect coaches who don't play the parent game. I used to coach church-league basketball, and I actually had a kid one time just walk on to the court without my permission. I stood up to him. I know how coaches feel, and I say thank you to the ones who provide discipline to their team.

Over the years I've seen some wonderful parents who support their kids, the program, and the coach. It's true that some of them are living out their dreams through their kid, some are over zealous, some are never going to be happy no matter how much playing time their kid gets, etc. But, I'll take that over the parent who doesn't care. I know a kid who never has a parent at a game, has never seen a single point made, or a ball stolen. That to me is a far worse crime than caring too much.

• 4 months later...

I understand that parents should be involved in their child's life.. when it comes to sports and activities. BUT.. I do think that some parents yell too much at games. They yell SO much at refs, thinking it is helping their child's team, when it is actually putting more pressure on them. It doesn't help anything.. the ref isn't going to listen to the crowd's opinion. It's their call.They are on the floor. Some refs can call bad calls, but you should try being in that position. It's not easy. You can't please everybody... :confused: