Greenbrier?

hudsonj

If Greenbrier wins this week and Station Camp beats White House, which they'll be the favorite to do, then when those two meet in week ten a playoff spot will be at stake. The playoffs are far from out of the question for this football team despite the fact that they are currently dealing with major injury issues.

With all of Greenbrier's success since the 2002 season I can't believe anyone would be questioning their coaches. CLOSE THIS THREAD PLEASE MODERATORS!!!! Greenbrier has probably been the most successful Class 3A School outside of Region 2-3A's teams since the start of the '02 season. They have won region championships for three consecutive years, been to the 'Boro, been to the semifinals, been to the quarterfinals, & been to the second round of the playoffs. They have a few wins over David Lipscomb during that same span of time. They have owned Marshall Co., Page, & Sycamore during that same time period. They hold wins over the likes of Pearl Cohn & White House during that time. Postseason wins over McNairy Central, Meigs Co., Jackson South Side, Kingsbury, Lexington, & Crockett Co. don't look too bad on Coach Williams' resume either. Did I even mention the FACT that prior to the start of the '02 season the Greenbrier Bobcats had won a grand total of ZERO PLAYOFF GAMES!!! They are now 3-5, but still pretty much in the playoff hunt, and you all are talking about firing the main guy who has been the head of all of this success???? Talk about GREED :rolleyes: The person who started this topic or anyone who agrees with the Kirk Williams critics is an idiot PLAIN & SIMPLE!!!

Who said anything about firing the head coach. you are a complete moron. but look at that success we had during that time. are defense is good for the most part. but the OFFENSE. you can't rely on one person. and we all know if it wasn't for Roger Herndon we never would have went to state or probably semi-finals the year before. don't get on here and talk about all the playoff wins we have had in the past 4 years. talk about all the wins without Roger Herndon. how many playoff wins is that???? just one. i'm not at all saying fire the coach. anyone who takes it that way is a complete moron. but don't you think we could throw the ball. Greenbrier has always been a playoff team prior to Herndon. but we were always a fourth seed in the region barely making the playoffs. everyone might as well get use to 4-6 or maybe even worse records then that. cause we have no offense and we lose more talent each year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what the coaches running the ball up the middle everytime is okay and fine with you. I'm not saying go fire all the coaches. all i am saying is PASS THE FOOTBALL or hey try running the ball to the left or right. look at the stats 40 rushes for 40 yards. hey i got an idea the run isn't working so lets keep running the ball???? i'm not juding his defense at all. its always been a great defense. but the offense can only do as much as the coach will let them.

Running the ball up the middle is what Greenbrier does. Thats what they did when I played, 40 & 41 bucktrap up the middle. It may not work all the time but if you pound the ball and are physical up front it will get the job done. Im not saying it wouldn't be nice if we could throw a pass in now and then to keep the D honest but we are not a passing team. If we started lining up and throwing the ball every series how many teams do you think would back off and play us loose. I know not many.

You never said fire him I agree. I believe you asked when do you start questioning him. Hey I got a better idea, I will pull Coach Williams aside at the next athletic club meeting and ask him why are we not passing the ball? Hey coach why do you insist on running up the middle play after play after play?

If you don't like the way Greenbrier is playing this year and you think we need to get use to 4 and 6 seasons, you can always go watch Springfield or Jo byrns. They are both strong this year and you can spare yourself the frustration of a down year.

I will talk to coach next month about next year.... :thumb:

Edited by natester

Oh my-my brain is saying leave this alone, leave this alone BUT I cannot...I'm gonna throw a few things out to cover a couple different comments in these posts...

I have said more than once on this board that Coach Williams doesn't play because of your name or your parents so-called "status." If that were the case, Tyler wouldn't be playing because his last name means nothing to anyone outside our family in Greenbrier and "status", well lets just leave that one alone!

Michael Seay IS playing wonderful but to say he is the only one is VERY unfair! Let me see: Jodie Dorris, Brad Martin, Zach Cline, Zack Zigler, Joseph Lee and just for kicks let's just add my son Tyler Lynch-there are a couple others I cannot think of at the moment but I thought I would add to your list of one...

You DO give the ball to someone like Roger as much as possible...But I think Roger will agree that his line helped him greatly! AND that child ALWAYS talked about his other teammates! Clint Russell was AWESOME! Troy Dill was AWESOME! Choppy D was AWESOME! Jacob Aldridge was AWESOME! I could go on and on...What happens though and ANYONE who knows ball knows this-when you use the same players all the time (most intelligent coaches are going to) then you do have to use others later when their EXPERIENCE on the field falls short!

Questioning Coach Williams way of thinking is just flat out crazy!

Edited by getthatqb

Who said anything about firing the head coach. you are a complete moron. but look at that success we had during that time. are defense is good for the most part. but the OFFENSE. you can't rely on one person. and we all know if it wasn't for Roger Herndon we never would have went to state or probably semi-finals the year before. don't get on here and talk about all the playoff wins we have had in the past 4 years. talk about all the wins without Roger Herndon. how many playoff wins is that???? just one. i'm not at all saying fire the coach. anyone who takes it that way is a complete moron. but don't you think we could throw the ball. Greenbrier has always been a playoff team prior to Herndon. but we were always a fourth seed in the region barely making the playoffs. everyone might as well get use to 4-6 or maybe even worse records then that. cause we have no offense and we lose more talent each year.

Only a complete moron would start a thread like this questioning the coaching. That would be you genius :thumb:

Okay, okay. You do realize that Roger is graduated, right? Two years ago. I also hope that you realize that while Roger was the running back, he was not the only player on the field. What made that state team so good is that they had played together for years and had learned what to expect from each other. Do you honestly think, that can never happen again for Greenbrier? If you do, then you need to get a season pass at Vanderbilt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Roger wasn't good. He was. He was the repeated name in the papers and in the media for years. He was the one that brought Greenbrier recognition for the Mr. Football award, and I've watched the crowd light up like a Christmas tree when he comes into the stands. Nice guy, nice family, BUT...that is past and Greenbrier WILL move on.

Some people are just never happy with the coaching or the results. I sat last week and this week and heard negative comments to the point of namecalling by two different Bobcat fans, and I wonder what is wrong with these people? Have we become so caught up in the teams successes that we can't accept a down season? We are not at practices day after day, running til we can't catch our breath when we could be hanging out with friends after school, we're not out there every Friday night, getting pounded on every play, or standing shivering on the sidelines. We're not the coaches that study the films from Friday to Friday trying to second-guess another teams strategy and then having the fingers pointed at us when the boys are injured, are not playing up to par, as if we are the ones playing the game. No, WE are just the fans that show up and have come to expect a winning game. It appears now that some expectations are becoming demands. It reminds me of one of my kids old books "When You Give a Mouse a Cookie"...

I won't go on to repeat all the things that BigCountry has named about Greenbrier's successes. But I keep thinking "THREE consecutive Region Championships"....how many teams can say that? Greenbrier is a respected name in high school sports. Many of these players that stand on the sidelines know that they may never get to play, but they are just proud to wear that Bobcat jersey. I see more Greenbrier shirts when out at Rivergate or about than ever and that is simple pride. I for one bought more Greenbrier items AFTER our first shutout in years. There's not much certain in life anymore, but I have faith and know that Greenbrier will be BACK.

Edited by EZBeingGreen

Do you even read what you write? How much sense does this make? No other talent is coming up through the ranks? Pulllleezze. Give me a break. All is NOT gloom and doom at Greenbrier. :lol:

Talent level goes in cycles and they will be back.

EXACTLY.....

I can't believe this is even being discussed but you're always going to have the naysayers. Greenbrier even parents and fans complaining two weeks before the state final game. Coach Williams and his staff didn't suddenly "get stupid" from one year to the next and trying to compare what this year's team is doing based on what previous teams have done, really doesn't make much sense. Attacking the middle is what this group of backs does better than hitting the corners. This years backs run better going straight ahead than trying to start and stop or hit it right and left. They're strong runners that are closer to FBs than RBs. It would be great if we could rely on the passing game as another weapon but it's just not a strong point of this team right now. I'm sure this coaching staff would love to mix in some end runs with a few passes and maybe have the QB get some positive yards with a few bootlegs but it's just not clicking that way right now.

It's just as several have stated..... you have some average years, some strong years, and some down years. The 04 and 05 teams had a large group of players that had been together since they could walk and many of these guys started playing early in their high school careers. When you start playing early, not only are you getting invaluable game experience but you're probably going to spending most of the game time on the field for all 4 years. This means that many of the younger guys aren't being thrown into the fire and they aren't getting the same game experience that you did. When the younger guys become the older guys, you have some drop off. But, chances are that during these down years, you're probably having to play some younger guys that are going to help you a year or two down the road. It's a cycle. You just have to support the team and let things run the course. If you have 3 or 4 straight years that are 1 or 2 win years, then you may have an issue.

A final thought.........As freshmen, the 04 state team was winless until they won the last 3 games of the year and made it to the playoffs. Have patience, support the team, let the coaches coach, and encourage the players to be 100% dedicated to playing football.

Edited by NoDoubt

What? B)

Kirk Williams knows more than just the score on the board. He knows that this team is down to DO OR DIE mode in this upcoming game. He's not going to LET this team roll over and play dead with two of the toughest games left to go. You pounded Cheatham and Marshall County in shockers. Even though I am only a 9 game Bobcat fan, I have seen Greenbrier get up and smack a team when everyone thought they were on their last breath. I can't believe that any player, fan or otherwise would want to jump ship now on the coaching. The Bobcats may be playing possum, but they ain't dead. B)

The question to the PLAYERS is how BAD do you want it?

Okay some of yall have taken this topic way out of porportion. I never said fire the coach. all it sounds like to me is that you don't care if we never make playoffs again because are coach is Coach Williams. how many losing seasons will it take to convince yall. firing the coach after one losing season is crazy. that would be ridiculous. so that is why i have never said fire the coach. all i said is when do you question him.