Independence @ Brentwood 10-20-06

donathan5507

Great game and it's sad to see a team like Independance go through so much and come so close... But we must remember, playing your ball in region 6-5A is a daunting task...

Who's number 54 for Indy? Pretty good player. Hard to block. Great Strength.

Lastly though... I really must question the heart of the head coach. Coach Smith is "a really great guy" and "hard working coach who gets his guy prepared." But when it comes down to it, I simply don't think he has the leadership ability and poise of the other coaches in this region. Admittedly, I understand that he probably missed Monday practice for a pretty good reason and I think it's a little overboard for people to call him "a quitter" and saying that the kids had to organize their own team. But for any of you who have followed coacht for the past 2 years should recognize the Indy-biased name GreenLantern... That's right, as a coach in the highest division of football in TN, and even better, one of the toughest regions in its class, Coach Smith continually commented in ill-taste and bad judgement about his team and their opponents.

I leave you with one thing.

Good players make good teams.

Great players make great teams.

BUT

Unified, dedicated players AND mature coaching make PLAYOFF teams...

Edited by beevotx

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Bruins will be matched up in the playoffs against either HL or Hendersonville. Lots of playoff history between Brentwood and those two schools.

Indy can take this season as a learning experience- from the top of the staff to the bottom.

Teams in 6-5A who are successful in making the playoffs, know this about this region- you can load up on the cupcakes (whomever they might be each year) and think you're hot stuff, but until you can whip ALL of the big dogs (and there will be four to five each year), you can't make any postseason plans. This is not a region where someone runs away with it and clinches things with four games to go.

This usually goes down to the last week. This year is unusual in that it has already been decided- definitely not the norm.

It is a dogfight to beat those top teams; it is very difficult to get up emotionally and physically for all of those games PLUS whatever big games (and better teams do this) you've scheduled outside the region. That is one big difference between the playoff teams and the also-rans- They're outside of the region schedule is pretty stout. Those games have private or 5A teams that should make the playoffs. Those games get you ready to play in region 6 against the top guns.

Congratulations again to Brentwood on making the playoffs for a school record tenth year in a row. Get ready for Northeast and finish with a flourish.

Independence does not need to feel down for their playoff collapse

you took your win total from last year and multiplied it by 6 (7 if they win this week)

this was a great year for Independence and no one needs to say how Independence is a joke expecially playing in a tough 5-6a region

congrats to Indy for a great year in their second year of existance in the football world

Indy did not capitalize on big plays.. After the onside recovery indy's offense goes 3 and out. That can't happen, that was a big chance to get the full momentum in our favor. Indy's D stepped up and played huge. Offense played well, some bad judgements on Cordells part at times. Too many dropped balls by the wideouts two for touchdowns, possibly 3. The field goal should've been made. Indy had this game in their hands they just did not capitalize. Indy played their hearts out just didn't come up with some big plays when they needed them. Good luck to our region in the playoffs, we know yall will represent us well.

I just want to say that I am tired of people getting on here disrespecting someone that gives their heart and soul to this program. Coach Scott Smith love him or hate him deserves better. He loves these kids and this program and he is one of the best coaches around. He gave his players everything they needed to win. It came down to them getting it done and the came up 3 yards short in the end and 3 points short. He gave them Monday off because of fall break and just to give everyone a chance to get fresh after the Ravenwood lose. And it was a great decision. That did not have anything to do with the game.

I just want to say that I am tired of people getting on here disrespecting someone that gives their heart and soul to this program. Coach Scott Smith love him or hate him deserves better. He loves these kids and this program and he is one of the best coaches around. He gave his players everything they needed to win. It came down to them getting it done and the came up 3 yards short in the end and 3 points short. He gave them Monday off because of fall break and just to give everyone a chance to get fresh after the Ravenwood lose. And it was a great decision. That did not have anything to do with the game.

maybe if independece were better at sportsmanship, then people would be less eager to talk so much trash now. i have never attended a football game with more obnoxious behavior from the home team/announcers/fans than when i attended an independence home game. the fans lined up on the sidewalk and as the opposing team came through the fans spit on them. classy move. i for one am glad that they are getting to learn this life lesson. maybe next season they will have learned how to be gracious winners. and act like they have some class/character.

you can't take a day off when you're getting ready for a playoff game, which is basically what the brentwood game was. And if what i heard was correct, the players put together their own practice, so obviously it wasn't to give the players a break, if that is true.

maybe if independece were better at sportsmanship, then people would be less eager to talk so much trash now. i have never attended a football game with more obnoxious behavior from the home team/announcers/fans than when i attended an independence home game. the fans lined up on the sidewalk and as the opposing team came through the fans spit on them. classy move. i for one am glad that they are getting to learn this life lesson. maybe next season they will have learned how to be gracious winners. and act like they have some class/character.

Indy never spit on players. That's eronious.

The spitting may be eroneous - but the comment on the announcer is right on the mark. Obnoxious is not a strong enough term to classify what the fans have to listen to at an Indy game.

Have the gentlemen attend a Franklin game and he will understand how a High School sporting event needs to be commented over a PA system. Remebering what they speak of at the beginning about it being an event looking for good sportsmanship - then "performing" the way he does seem hypocritical.

Congrats to Indy's players for a good season.