BA vs Father Ryan

statebound07

Dang! Didn't mean to raise such a firestorm.

I guess BA has a Freshman team this year for the first time. My mistake.

All I know is what I have observed in the past few years...Ryan has tended to play some of their contributing varsity players in JV games, whereas BA never plays anyone in those games that they may need on a Friday night. Not anything against either philosophy...just stating what I have seen. Perhaps that is changing at Ryan now that they are getting more competitive. In any case, basing predictions on what happened in JV games previous seasons is a tricky business.

I really have no idea who might win next year's game between BA and Ryan. I am looking forward to a good one this Friday!

BTW...I wish BA had a lot more "rich alums" who were able to throw money at programs for the school. Since BA is less than 40 years old, really hasn't catered to the old money crowd, and does not have the backing of any church, Catholic or Protestant, they have some catching up to do in that area.

OK...gotta go get in my recruiting van to scour the midstate for more athletes! <_<

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. Your statement is rediculous and makes you look like a jackass.

B. Give me one concrete example of any of those teams recruiting. If you knew anything, you would know that both of the new players at BA came to Nashville because their fathers got jobs in the area. I believe Chris Jordan was going to go to JPII when his father was supposed to be in Hendersonville but then decided on BA when his father ended up in Cool Springs area (Itzme, correct me if I'm wrong). If you think any of those schools have the time, money, or personnel to spend chasing middle school athletes around, you're crazy.

C. JV games mean about as much as coming in 2nd on a reality show. Nobody cares and it's not a good indicator of what you are capable of. I know MBA and BA both put a premium on playing guys in JV games that will not see the varsity field until their senior year. I don't know what Ryan's policy is as far as that goes, but if winning JV games is a top priority, they might need to reasses their priorities.

D. Sure, Ryan has beaten CBHS & JPII this year, but will once again go 0fer against, MBA, BA, and McCallie. CBHS is really the only quality win the Irish have this year. Sure JPII is a big rival, but they play in DII AA and outside of a win against the worst MBA team in 20 years, they haven't really beaten a quality opponent either. Long story short, Ryan has a long way to go before they start talking about being contenders.

B. I don't know anything about the Jordan kid's dad, but I do know about the Caffee kid's. His dad quit his job in Texas and moved to the area without a job and did not have one for several months. I am assuming that he is now employed. I know that Caffee came to one of Flatt's football camps a few years back. It has been said, in Aledo, that Caffee wanted his son to go to a school that threw the ball more then his Texas team. Now, does anyone else find this funny?

C. JV games are a reward for the kids that work hard but never have the chance to play during a varsity game. If you never let them have a taste of what it is like, you would not have half the players by their junior or senior year. If a player is a freshman or sophomore and playing on varsity, then he does not need to play JV and in most cases does not.

D. If you remember, back in August, MBA was looking mighty good. When a team is hit by the injury bug, like MBA has been this year, it can be hard to overcome. I still think that we have a good chance of making it to the playoffs. We will probably be 5-5 but that will still get you in. And just maybe we will get the chance to beat FR again.

B. I don't know anything about the Jordan kid's dad, but I do know about the Caffee kid's. His dad quit his job in Texas and moved to the area without a job and did not have one for several months. I am assuming that he is now employed. I know that Caffee came to one of Flatt's football camps a few years back. It has been said, in Aledo, that Caffee wanted his son to go to a school that threw the ball more then his Texas team. Now, does anyone else find this funny?

Well Quiting your job doesnt get you a free pass to BA. If they want you! they wil get you! If you have ever read the TSSAA recruiting rules they are full of holes. You must go throught the same finiacial aide process as a college admission and submit the finding to the TSSAA for review. OK but the regs also say you can borrow the tuition. (it doesnt say from whom) Now BA has rasied 9 million dollars this year from supporters. I know they have had 3 1 million dollar contributions. Well if I could Give a million, I know I could employ this kids father (maybe just part time) and say give him a bonus large enough to pay off $6500 in tuition. Prefectly legal within the rules. Too many easy ways to skin the recruiting cat.

I know for a Fact that this man shopped his son to a few of the local privates schools. I heard this kid was comming back in June. But following the TSSAA rules thats OK as long as the Student wasnt involved.

The TSSAA is a JOKE!

Back to the Game;

I give FR a 26% chance of pulling the upset. They will have to play the game of the year. Get pressure on the BA QB most every play and take advantage of every BA miatake.

I hate BA FR in the upset

FR 16 BA 12

Hey Itzme, where did you get this info. Ryan does not play any varsity players on their JV. How about instead of telling a bunch of lies on this thread you do some homework and actually go to a JV game. Why would Ryan even risk an injury to one of their "varsity" players for a JV game. This is ridiculus! Last year the sophomore class, this years Juinior class, dismantled BA's JV. I am going to tell everyone right now next year Ryan is going to be a contender. They are going to be loaded and they will be able to compete with cheaters that recruit like BA, MBA, Ensworth, CBHS, MUS, Baylor, and McCallie. Ya, BA just happens to get a HB from Georgia and a QB from Texas w/out recruiting them, give me a break. BA is not even that googd for the amount of talent they recruit year in year out. They should be able to compete for a state title every year. Carlton Flatt has a winning record every year just because a few old guys over at BA throw a ton of money to the school so they can offer large scholarships to a bunch of athletes. If he had the talent Ryan had this year he would not win a game beacause he is a marginal coach at best.

As a Ryan fan, like until I read this bull spouted off at other schools. Why accuse all of these schools of cheating by recruiting? Why the poor poor Ryan syndrome? I am no fan of Flatt, because of what he did to Tom Moore, but marginal at best? Ryan has plenty of boosters/alumni with money, now whether they want to give it to a school that until last year had a principal that could care less about sports is up to them. Maybe those schools see how sports bring in students, athletes as well. As for Ryan contending next year? You may very well be right but it depends on what your definition of contending is. I don't think Ryan can beat BA or McCallie. And we will find out in the next two weeks if I am wrong about that But they can beat anyone else in Div II AAA that is left on any given Friday now. Ryan for about the last 7 years always had good freshman teams and by the time they graduated well you know the story. Enter coach Lussier, what he has done in 1 1/2 years is impressive. Even if Ryan finishes the regular season 5-5 you say what is the big deal? Go to schedules, look at Ryan and see what the scores were in 2004 & 2003. He has them on the right track to say the least. As for Ryan not recruiting, go to the K of C an sat. when the 7th and 8th grade football games are being played and tell me what high school football coaches are there? They will be easy to spot because they will have clothes letting you know they are from Ryan. Sorry to babble, but it ticks me off when Ryan people accuse other schools of recruiting then start up with the poor poor us crap.

Edited by my2cents

How else do you propose to get these young men to be aware of your school. It's just good business to make yourself visable at these games. Who knows you might influence a young man and his family to come to your school. And by the way Ryan coaches aren't the only ones there.

Well Quiting your job doesnt get you a free pass to BA. If they want you! they wil get you! If you have ever read the TSSAA recruiting rules they are full of holes. You must go throught the same finiacial aide process as a college admission and submit the finding to the TSSAA for review. OK but the regs also say you can borrow the tuition. (it doesnt say from whom) Now BA has rasied 9 million dollars this year from supporters. I know they have had 3 1 million dollar contributions. Well if I could Give a million, I know I could employ this kids father (maybe just part time) and say give him a bonus large enough to pay off $6500 in tuition. Prefectly legal within the rules. Too many easy ways to skin the recruiting cat.

I know for a Fact that this man shopped his son to a few of the local privates schools. I heard this kid was comming back in June. But following the TSSAA rules thats OK as long as the Student wasnt involved.

The TSSAA is a JOKE!

Back to the Game;

I give FR a 26% chance of pulling the upset. They will have to play the game of the year. Get pressure on the BA QB most every play and take advantage of every BA miatake.

I hate BA FR in the upset

FR 16 BA 12

Sorry, but Caffee started BA in January. And it was heard late last October in Texas that he was leaving Aledo because of his rotation at QB. His dad didn't like that at all. I guess that is the reason Flatt never plays Bledsoe.

Well if I could Give a million, I know I could employ this kids father (maybe just part time) and say give him a bonus large enough to pay off $6500 in tuition. Prefectly legal within the rules.

Tuition at BA is north of $14k so we'll have to pump up his bonus

a bit more. Thanks for the heads up.

I hate BA

I'm guessing BA students, parents, alumni, etc. won't lose

much sleep contemplating your hatred but thanks for sharing.

Edited by jek

How else do you propose to get these young men to be aware of your school. It's just good business to make yourself visable at these games. Who knows you might influence a young man and his family to come to your school. And by the way Ryan coaches aren't the only ones there.

Are you kidding me? It is a catholic parochial league, the only reason they are there is because JPII opened. Ryan has been open for 75+ years. I think they would know about Ryan. If it was 1984 Golden Tate would probably be at Ryan. But I see, it is OK for Ryan to go watch and talk to pre high school but not the rest of Div II? They all do the same. Just go about it in different ways. That is why all of them are in div II.

Edited by my2cents

Are you kidding me? It is a catholic parochial league, the only reason they are there is because JPII opened. Ryan has been open for 75+ years. I think they would know about Ryan. If it was 1984 Golden Tate would probably be at Ryan. But I see, it is OK for Ryan to go watch and talk to pre high school but not the rest of Div II? They all do the same. Just go about it in different ways. That is why all of them are in div II.

Being at a parochial game, so what. The JPII coaches have camped out at the parochial games, so what. Both schools naturally want good kids in sports and otherwise to come to their respective schools. Father Ryan is a Catholic school and what would be more natural then to try and persuade or let kids know about their interest in them. But if the kid decides to go to Ryan, he or she still has to pay the same tuition and fee's as everyone else. I can tell you one thing, if anyone other than the kid's famiily pays it, it is the best kept secret in the world. Of course there are some players that my previous statement would not apply to. Please don't assume that I am speaking of Ryan or JPII from my previous statement. Your statement about Ryan being at the parochial games due to JPII is without merit. I've seen Ryan coaches at parochial games twenty five years ago. As to your statement "thats why they are all in Div II", I think there is a little tunnel vision going on here. Your statement about the kids knowing about Ryan is absolutely correct, so what. Some of your previous posts have shown some hostility toward Father Ryan for whatever reason. All of your posts should be read by everyone in that vein. We are supposed to forgive our enemies, so forgive Ryan for whatever you have against them. ;)

Edited by fieldman

If Father Ryan had the money people thought they have then they would have a brand new stadium over there on Norwood. The fact is they have permission to build the stadium now but they do not have the financial means to build now. They are still paying for their new center for the arts and library buildings. Saying money is lying around that place is like saying heck has frozen over. It just isn't the truth. They do not have the Frists and Thompson family to help @@@@ up the green. As of right now MBA's endowment is sitting at around 215 million dollars (that is what I heard from a very influential alumni that works over there). Most small colleges would only dream about having that sort of financial security. You can not compare MBA with Ryan financially.

Announcements