Maryville vs Halls

jrlcm

Quarles offense attracts players from the hallways. It also attracts transfers. If Halls was running an offense like Maryville Burnett would still be there along with a bunch of other kids who transfered to other schools.

I think Burnette's not at Halls because of our prior coach.

Maryville has better kids and better coaching.

They do now, but the times they are a changin'. I liked our jv team against Maryville's.

GOod job halls keep up the wonderful work

Powellfan, did you expect us to compete with MHS? They're a juggernaut, but it will be very interesting in the playoffs when (if) they run up against some really big strong teams. Good luck Maryville from here on out. You've got our boy Burnette so we have to wish you luck.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They run it due to laziness and we love boring stagnant offenses at Halls. We really don't have the personel to run this type offense but it won't change because we are Halls. We'll have our hands full with South Doyle. :angry:

I must be rubbing off on you I personally hate the wing-t and yes it is successful at a lot of schools but lets face it Cooper isn't a running quarterback we don't have a big full back who can constantly pound away at defenses and one receiver doesn't cut it anymore in High School football. Times change and unfortunately we don't. So untill we have the personel to run the wing-t we will stay at .500 ball or less and be lucky to grab a #4 playoff spot each year. How long has it been at Halls that it hasn't been this way? I bet its closing in on a decade.

you never took your first team out...at least not that im aware of...

Our first team are our JV's. How many teams do you know play true sophomores and juniors on their varsity. Out of the 22 position players from last year only three came back as starters. One junior and two Seniors now do you wonder why they were still on the field. What makes it tougher is how many of those players play both ways.

lenior city and clinton both run maryville's offense almost down to the letter. south-doyle runs a very similar one. are you sure it's the offense or the kids running it?

Against both those programs we have proved we have better personel to run our offense against them but the funny thing is why do we run two & three wide sets against them and execute it flawlessly and then tighten it up against the better teams. We are notorious shorten the game and run the clock down. No ambition in our gameplans against West,Central or Maryville we were beaten before we stepped on the field.

Thought the Halls kids played hard but are handicaped by a STUPID offense. They just don't have the personel to run the wing T.

Good game and good luck Halls.

Thanks we will need it against South Doyle. I think we beat em 70 to something last year at their place. This year I just hope we finish strong for our seniors and position ourselves for the future.

Edited by ZCAR

Worthless piece of crap wow man you have the maturity of a 5 year old get a life

Powellfan, You came to this page and posted what you did to start a fight. What did you expect? And it seems you could find a life as well.

IMO Halls had better start considering a new offense. They don't have overpowering lineplay and the line is not the strongest point of the young players coming up. They have some great linemen coming but they really need to showcase some great running backs and receivers coming thier way. They also have a few QB's that have been grooming themselves at good QB camps and they may not be content to run the Wing-T. Coach J has looked at this in the past and I am sure he will again. I think he will do what he thinks gives him the best chance to win.

You know, this old hat is getting sick and tired of seeing the people on these threads ripping the wing-T. You say we have inferior lineman, then ok, what are we suppose to do? Line up in the shotgun where the line is even more critical and try to throw it to our one playmaker that we have. Not that Johnson, Noe, or Turner aren't playmakers, but they aren't the type that can line up out there and just find a way to get open. So, we're suppose to get into the gun and just sling it where our QB won't have time to throw and he'll only have one legitimate place to throw it every play(for the time being). So, if you have 1 good receiver what should you do? Waste blockers and spread the field and try to throw into double coverage. Sounds like an incredibly game plan. Ok, so cross out the gun. Then lets get into split backs and try to run what Maryville runs. Well, again, we're going to need more physical line play and linemen who aren't either slow or undersized or both. Then, we're going to need a TE who can block and catch the ball and be a big play threat. We're going to need a QB who can read the defense and yet again, more than 1 playmaker. Oh and we're going to need 2 running backs who are both physical blockers and bruising ball carriers. So, scratch that. Let's line up in the I then you say. Then we're going to need again, physical linemen with size, relative speed and agility and a TE and a bruising FB who'll lead up in the hole for the ball carrier. Oh and to throw it we might need more than 1 receiver. So, no, scratch that. Well, what about the spread option. Well, my friends, that would be the wing-T but out of the gun and for that offense you are going to need 3-6 running backs who are both good enough to play receiver and motion around the field and block or run the ball between the tackles...a QB who is good at running the option and reading defenses. So, what should a coaching staff do that has at best average running backs, an average qb, a decent wr and a few average receivers, an average te, and an average OL. Well, if you line up in the wing-T and play a game of angles, you give both your players and coaches a chance to play with teams that are better than you. Webb isn't any more athletic than Halls is and it seems to work fairly well for them(has for at least a decade). Catholic runs it(granted they have Harrison Smith, but still they run it). Reggie Bush's former high school in Cali ran it while he was there. The offense works for both teams with a lot of tallent and teams without a whole lot of tallent. The scary part is when a team has a lot of tallent and runs it. That's a site to see.

Oh, as a side note. What did Air Force run against UT? Yes, the main "formation" was out of the flex-bone if memory serves me correctly, but they ran a lot of the same plays as you guessed it, Halls, Webb, Catholic, etc. Anyone with any knowledge of football knows what the Wing-T can do to an opposing team. Just give KJ and his staff time to implement the offense considering it's in what it's second year? I believe for a while Halls was a veer team and last year they ran the wing-T stuff for the first time in a while. Anyone have tape of the Halls-Pearl Cohn state game in 96? Yeah, you guessed it. Both teams were primarily running wing-T stuff.

So I say go ahead and take your wing-T criticisms and stuff them.