Maplewood to state

thahood

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know its go happen but what about you all?

I don't see it happening, although I would like to see them do it. I would like to preface what I'm about to say by stating that I am a 1981 alumnus of Maplewood. But I believe I'm being fair and objective in stating that there are two reasons why they won't make it past the quarter finals. First they aren't discipline enough on defense. A well-executing offense can use misdirection plays to gain significant yards. So far, the Panthers have relied primairily on their over-all team speed to make up for the defense being out of place at times. By the time they get to the quater finals, and certainly by the semi-finals, team speed will be less in their favour. I would like to add that I was impressed with their defensive performance against Hillsboro thisi past Friday. Let's see if they can do as well with a more compelete offense.

The second reason is not likely to be over-come before the the quarter-finals: Their lack of a consistant kicking game. I would have more faith in a state championship run if the could just make extra points, let alone field goals. Put it this way. I don't see them losing in a blow-out. I see them losing in a close game that they could have won but for not being able to make an extra point. Or failing at a long touchdown attempt rather than just kicking a short field goal.

I may be wrong about all of this and Maplewood may be able to win a championship (they have the talent), but I don't think so. Then again I was wrong about Pearl-Cohn who had the very similar problems back in the mid 1990's but still managed to win back-to-back championships.

I don't see it happening, although I would like to see them do it. I would like to preface what I'm about to say by stating that I am a 1981 alumnus of Maplewood. But I believe I'm being fair and objective in stating that there are two reasons why they won't make it past the quarter finals. First they aren't discipline enough on defense. A well-executing offense can use misdirection plays to gain significant yards. So far, the Panthers have relied primairily on their over-all team speed to make up for the defense being out of place at times. By the time they get to the quater finals, and certainly by the semi-finals, team speed will be less in their favour. I would like to add that I was impressed with their defensive performance against Hillsboro thisi past Friday. Let's see if they can do as well with a more compelete offense.

The second reason is not likely to be over-come before the the quarter-finals: Their lack of a consistant kicking game. I would have more faith in a state championship run if the could just make extra points, let alone field goals. Put it this way. I don't see them losing in a blow-out. I see them losing in a close game that they could have won but for not being able to make an extra point. Or failing at a long touchdown attempt rather than just kicking a short field goal.

I may be wrong about all of this and Maplewood may be able to win a championship (they have the talent), but I don't think so. Then again I was wrong about Pearl-Cohn who had the very similar problems back in the mid 1990's but still managed to win back-to-back championships.

I was a member of those pearl-cohnteams your talking about.

I feel like if you come to play when them lights turn on you can win any game.

I was a member of those pearl-cohnteams your talking about.

I feel like if you come to play when them lights turn on you can win any game.

If you played for the 1997 team that won the second of those two titles:

Well then you my friend got to be a part of the most dominating defesive football team I ever saw. I know that the offense had guys like Santonio Beard, Buck Fitzgerald, John Henderson, J.R. Pratt, Joey Martin, & Albert Washington (who all went on to play college football) BUT that defense was big, strong, athletic, and finished plays with an attitude. I don't recall them giving up more than seven points in a game after the week one loss to MBA. They did give up 16 in their 20 point blowout victory in the title game against Maryville but prior to that your playoff scores went as follows:

beat Shelbyville 42-0

beat Whites Creek 35-0 (beat them in the regular season 28-0)

beat Springfield 28-0 (beat them in the regular season 14-7)

beat Dyersburg 47-0

If they can't score against you then your chances of losing are over. I don't believe that team ever thought that they were going to lose after they blew a lead in the loss to MBA (the D-II runner up that year to Father Ryan).

First, Maplewood will not beat Hillsboro. If by chance, they do get past Hillsboro, they will not beat Melrose, who can match their speed and has a better coaching staff than Maplewood. Then if you know where freezes and Maplewood is in the buro for the 4A title game, Maryville will run them into the ground. GQ would single-handily win the game because of his coaching.

First, Maplewood will not beat Hillsboro. If by chance, they do get past Hillsboro, they will not beat Melrose, who can match their speed and has a better coaching staff than Maplewood. Then if you know where freezes and Maplewood is in the buro for the 4A title game, Maryville will run them into the ground. GQ would single-handily win the game because of his coaching.

we have a great coaching staff we have done to much to loss any more games this season hillsburo is a good team but we are better. the only reason we loss is stupid mistakes we should have won but we didnt and we will show you how we really play in the playoffs we will make it to the playoffs and we will show all of everyone maplewood is the best..... go panthers

there is a lot of ifs in there buddy ...i dont think you are to sure of what you are saying ...maplewood will win the next time these two teams play ..and ill un- tie the refs as soon as the game is over :wacko:

melrose coaches wont be out there running the ball or making tackles ... play ball

Edited by boski

If you played for the 1997 team that won the second of those two titles:

Well then you my friend got to be a part of the most dominating defesive football team I ever saw. I know that the offense had guys like Santonio Beard, Buck Fitzgerald, John Henderson, J.R. Pratt, Joey Martin, & Albert Washington (who all went on to play college football) BUT that defense was big, strong, athletic, and finished plays with an attitude. I don't recall them giving up more than seven points in a game after the week one loss to MBA. They did give up 16 in their 20 point blowout victory in the title game against Maryville but prior to that your playoff scores went as follows:

beat Shelbyville 42-0

beat Whites Creek 35-0 (beat them in the regular season 28-0)

beat Springfield 28-0 (beat them in the regular season 14-7)

beat Dyersburg 47-0

If they can't score against you then your chances of losing are over. I don't believe that team ever thought that they were going to lose after they blew a lead in the loss to MBA (the D-II runner up that year to Father Ryan).

Big country your not so bad after all

But if i recall we had 7 consecutive shutouts in a row during the end of the season and heading into the playoffs

Also we had Craig Gilliam as our D. Cord. While he was coaching us on the weekends Ray Rhodes was head coach of the Phi. Eagles and would call nashville asking coach gilliam for advice