A/AA Regions

BigG

The little rural school with only a couple of good players beat the mighty GIANT CCS 1-0 on Tuesday.

Seems to be fair.

What are you saying here??? Sweetwater had a really good team this year, and you say only a couple of good players??? Come on give this TEAM more credit. I thought that Sweetwater was better than CCS. I was glad to see that they could pull it off, because I do think that alot of teams go into the game with a team like CCS and they do feel that they are the mighty GIANTS and it is all in their heads and that is why they dont win not because CCS is better than they are.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a sarcastic comment based on what hamlet posted a few posts back.

Don't let the private/public debate fuel your comments.

CCS is not a giant... they got beat by a better TEAM. (although CCS may argue they are better)

my point is that there are publics that can compete regardless of the private school haters. More than likely a private school will win the Class A/AA state but the publics are not inferior as some argue.

Good luck to Sweetwater. If they loose tonight, they will likely make a run to the semifinals or even finals.

Edited by mtnman

Thanks for the nice words about Sweetwater. Just to set the record straight, Sweetwater has five players that play club soccer which isn't that common for rural public schools. In addition, the other girls on the team are very good athletes who have worked very hard this season. They have played as a team.

We are very proud of the girl's accomlishments this season and hope to give Notre Dame a good game tonight!!

I believe Sweetwater is the only public school ranked in A/AA. I know in the East the top schools are mainly private. Looking at the DIV II bracket it looks like there are only 3 East Tenn schools still playing in Div II.

In addition to Sweetwater having several outstanding athletes, Sweetwater is also very well coached. Coach Houston has been a coach of Sweetwater soccer (in some shape, form or fasion) for almost 20 years. She has the knowledge and experience that, combined with some outstanding athletes, can make a serious run for the A/AA title.

Go Lady Cats!!

it was a sarcastic comment based on what hamlet posted a few posts back.

Don't let the private/public debate fuel your comments.

CCS is not a giant... they got beat by a better TEAM. (although CCS may argue they are better)

my point is that there are publics that can compete regardless of the private school haters. More than likely a private school will win the Class A/AA state but the publics are not inferior as some argue.

Good luck to Sweetwater. If they loose tonight, they will likely make a run to the semifinals or even finals.

who do they play?? and ccs is ok, but i wouldnt think of them as a giant by any means. i think that the championship is going to come between fra and notre dame, which may end up being the first round of state, which would ruin state completly, it needs to be the championship if they both go through it all.

In addition to Sweetwater having several outstanding athletes, Sweetwater is also very well coached. Coach Houston has been a coach of Sweetwater soccer (in some shape, form or fasion) for almost 20 years. She has the knowledge and experience that, combined with some outstanding athletes, can make a serious run for the A/AA title.

Go Lady Cats!!

Sweetwater would be the favorite to be State champs this year if CAK, FRA, Notre Dame competed with teams they should compete with, i.e. Baylor, GPS, BGA, BA, St. Agnes etc.

Sweetwater would be the favorite to be State champs this year if CAK, FRA, Notre Dame competed with teams they should compete with, i.e. Baylor, GPS, BGA, BA, St. Agnes etc.

:thumb: I'm pretty sure that the teams you mentioned already play some of the stronger Div. II teams...by choice. Playing better competetion is what helps them become the teams they are and gets them to State. It ain't no picnic but it's worth it. If Sweetwater is good enough, they will get their chance as well. Sounds like you're going somewhere else with your comment... please don't. It gets old.

I appreciate your comment Futbolfan.

In trying to understand your comment and reviewing what I wrote, I should have said, "...competed with teams they should compete with in the State tournament.."

To restate (I hope) more clearly: CAK etc should compete with Baylor, etc in the State tournament. In other words, they (CAK, etc) should compete in the Div II tourney, not the A/AA tourney.

You may still disagree with my opinion, but I wanted to try and express myself clearly. Like many people, I could use an editor.

Most of the schools you listed do schedule DII scholarship schools every season. Win or lose, you improve. Sweetwater has played a pretty strong schedule this season and it sounds like it's paying off. Sweetwater is competing very well and they should be respected for their accomplishments, past and, maybe, to come.

As to the tired old suggestion about removing all private schools from Division I, well some day it may happen. Maybe TSSAA should just consider abolishing divisions and state championships all together. Then all the schools could "win" participation awards just like in AYSO. Reduce the competition until everybody wins. Good plan. :thumb:

P.S. I understood what you meant to say. You don't want to compete with other similar sized or much smaller schools that can possibly beat you. How do you think Knoxville Catholic felt when it competed in DII with a total enrollment of around 400---boys and girls combined---- when it went up against, say, Christian Brothers with over 1,700 all-male students in a scholarship setting or McCallie another scholarship school with over 1,200 boys. It was difficult, but we played, improved and won our share. The A/AA publics could do the same, especially schools like Sweetwater that are blessed with good rosters.

Edited by hoya75

Most of the schools you listed do schedule DII scholarship schools every season. Win or lose, you improve. Sweetwater has played a pretty strong schedule this season and it sounds like it's paying off. Sweetwater is competing very well and they should be respected for their accomplishments, past and, maybe, to come.

As to the tired old suggestion about removing all private schools from Division I, well some day it may happen. Maybe TSSAA should just consider abolishing divisions and state championships all together. Then all the schools could "win" participation awards just like in AYSO. Reduce the competition until everybody wins. Good plan. :thumb:

You know, seeing as I have not been on the board as long as many others, my comment probably seems pretty tired to a veteran poster. It's ground that I'm sure has been well plowed before. I promise to get off this soap box.

Best of luck to all the teams and all the young ladies still competing in the State tournaments!

Take it to the public v private debate....it doesn't belong here.....you'll find plenty of people that will hammer your position there....Sweetwater still has a chance...a very good chance...the brackets are set so that ND, CAK, and FRA should all have to get by each other before any of them get an opportunity to challenge the Sweetwater team.

You know, seeing as I have not been on the board as long as many others, my comment probably seems pretty tired to a veteran poster. It's ground that I'm sure has been well plowed before. I promise to get off this soap box.

Best of luck to all the teams and all the young ladies still competing in the State tournaments!

hamlet7478, on reflection I have to apologize for my tone. I shouldn't have been so sarcastic and I am sorry.

This issue has been a sore spot for as long as I can remember, going all the way back to the Div. I / Div. II split. That's why so-called "public-private debate" posts have their own home (exile?) on Coach T because everyone gets pretty opinionated based on their own situations.

In any event, I'm sorry for sounding the way I did and, seriously, good luck to your girls tonight at ND. :thumb: