Region 1 vs Region 2 -- 5A

basketballisbest

Ooltewah is by no means dominate. They only return 2 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense last year. 9 new guys on each side of the ball and we are 9-0. Thats pretty impressive. Oak Ridge is a good football team They have a great defense and an offense that has been mediocre without Connor. Oak Ridge lost 2 region games with seconds left on the clock. They could of easily been 7-1 coming into the game last night. I just think Ooltewah came out 2nd half fired up. They wanted it more. Monroe has done a great job this year with this young team. There is really no dominate team in 5a this year. Everyone is about even. 5 teams in region 2-5a are all about even and so are 3 from region 1-5a. Ooltewah has just done what they had to to be undefeated. Good luck to all teams in the playoffs and go OWLS!

I agree with you ImaOWL. I think it says a lot about this Owl program...there's no denying that last years' individual talent was very impressive..maybe more than Ooltewah has ever had at once. It's unfortunate that their senior season had to be with a brand new coach...but it also gave these young guys a chance to not only get acquainted with a new coach, but they got to practice and play with some great players. I am surprised that they're probably going to be 10-0, but before the season I said 8-2. That's still impressive considering there are 18 "new" guys on the field.

Go Owls Go! Keep on rolling!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you ImaOWL. I think it says a lot about this Owl program...there's no denying that last years' individual talent was very impressive..maybe more than Ooltewah has ever had at once. It's unfortunate that their senior season had to be with a brand new coach...but it also gave these young guys a chance to not only get acquainted with a new coach, but they got to practice and play with some great players. I am surprised that they're probably going to be 10-0, but before the season I said 8-2. That's still impressive considering there are 18 "new" guys on the field.

Go Owls Go! Keep on rolling!

Grad and ImaOwl. I agree wholeheartedly. I was very surprised to see this team win so much, let alone an undefeated season (don't want to overlook SD, but I would be even more surprised if they could pull an upset next week).

I think I had predicted 7-3 for Ooltewah this year, but their young kids have really stepped up. These two regions are going to really battle it out in the playoffs. But a good team has to win these close ones, and Ooltewah has found a way to do it.

But it would be very hard to say they have dominated. Great year and they should be very proud of what they have accomplished!

Ooltewah is by no means dominate. They only return 2 starters on offense and 2 starters on defense last year. 9 new guys on each side of the ball and we are 9-0. Thats pretty impressive. Oak Ridge is a good football team They have a great defense and an offense that has been mediocre without Connor. Oak Ridge lost 2 region games with seconds left on the clock. They could of easily been 7-1 coming into the game last night. I just think Ooltewah came out 2nd half fired up. They wanted it more. Monroe has done a great job this year with this young team. There is really no dominate team in 5a this year. Everyone is about even. 5 teams in region 2-5a are all about even and so are 3 from region 1-5a. Ooltewah has just done what they had to to be undefeated. Good luck to all teams in the playoffs and go OWLS!

Great post, I totally agree with you. I also think that the playoffs could get shaken up alot in the first two rounds, with so many teams being so evenly matched. I would look for Ooltewah to do very well, but, with such parity in 5A, especially in these two regions, anything can happen..

Looks like we know how things will look for round 1, what about round 2?

Round 1

DB vs WB = DB

Sevier vs McMinn = McMinn

Bearden vs Farragut = Farragut

Science Hill vs Ooltewah = Ooltewah

Round 2

DB vs Farragut

Ooltewah vs McMinn

Region 2 is 4-1 against region 1 this year in head to head battles.

WB (4) beat Sevier (2) 24-12

OR (5) beat Jeff Co (6) 48-7

Heritage (8) beat Campbell Co (7) 29-14

Farragut (2) beat Bearden (3) 27-14

OR (5) lost to DB (1) 10-33

There is no doubt that top to bottom region 2 is stronger this year. Going into friday nites game, 6 teams in region 2 still had a mathematical shot at reaching the playoffs. That was not the case for region 1, where it has been pretty evident for awhile who the top 4 were. In head to head games against playoff teams between these two regions, region 2 is 2-0.

Just trying to back up my predictions with some facts. Of course, as already has been stated on this thread, there is no dominate team in these two regions, so the chance of my predictions shaking out are about 10%. Playoffs will be interesting.

Looks like we know how things will look for round 1, what about round 2?

Round 1

DB vs WB = DB

Sevier vs McMinn = McMinn

Bearden vs Farragut = Farragut

Science Hill vs Ooltewah = Ooltewah

Round 2

DB vs Farragut

Ooltewah vs McMinn

Region 2 is 4-1 against region 1 this year in head to head battles.

WB (4) beat Sevier (2) 24-12

OR (5) beat Jeff Co (6) 48-7

Heritage (8) beat Campbell Co (7) 29-14

Farragut (2) beat Bearden (3) 27-14

OR (5) lost to DB (1) 10-33

There is no doubt that top to bottom region 2 is stronger this year. Going into friday nites game, 6 teams in region 2 still had a mathematical shot at reaching the playoffs. That was not the case for region 1, where it has been pretty evident for awhile who the top 4 were. In head to head games against playoff teams between these two regions, region 2 is 2-0.

Just trying to back up my predictions with some facts. Of course, as already has been stated on this thread, there is no dominate team in these two regions, so the chance of my predictions shaking out are about 10%. Playoffs will be interesting.

I have to say, that is a great post.

Very hard to predict. I am thinking that Sevier has improved greatly since the beginning of the year and so has McMinn. That will probably be the most exciting game of the first round. But I have to give the advantage to Sevier because it is home.

So my first round would be:

Dobyns-Bennett over William Blount--probably closer than the DB fans would want it to be. Blount's defense is stout and will make this a very close game. DB will win it in the air in the end.

Sevier in a close one over McMinn by 3.

Farragut over Bearden by 10.

Ooltewah over Science Hill by 14.

2nd round:

DB over Farragut

Ooltewah over McMinn

That of course is dependent on the first round games which are full of potential upsets. With the exception of the Ooltewah/Science Hill game, I think that none of the other games could be a surprise. After that it's anybody's guess in all the rounds.

5A Region 1 is obviously weaker than 5A Region 2. You have to look at the school locations for that. Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill are forced to play out of conference games against inferior opponents because to play other 5A prospective playoff opponents we would have to travel to Knoxville or further a few more times each year than we already do; unfortunatley its not economical and its tough to ask our fan base to travel every week. I would like to see Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill playing more 5A teams, the Elizabethtons, Sullivan Centrals, and Tennessee Highs of 4A won't cut it but I would say that Heritage and Soddy Daisy might play like their on the 4A level. Nonetheless, I do feel most teams in Region 2 are down with the exception of Ooltewah. Attending every Dobyns Bennett game I've seen how DB stacked up against 5A Region 1's #2 and #3. Knox Bearden held us close on our offensive miscues and turnovers. In the end throwing the ball led us to victory. Sevier Co. again held us in check with offensive miscues and turnovers and again in the end passing the ball around led us to victory. Look for us, Dobyns Bennett, to be throwing the ball in the playoffs with a trick play here and there to put us over the top. Home field advantage looms large in early rounds; with the exception of William Blount and Ooltewah years ago who beat us with one player. One thing that can be assured this year, however, is that Dobyns Bennetts defense is dominate. Outscoring our opponents 320-63 and holding our opponents to an average of 7 points a game is stout. DB's trek for a state championship will henge on the creativity of Coach Graham Clark and the Indians offense. If DB can score 3+ touchdowns per game in the first three rounds of the playoffs we might be talking serious contender against Riverdale. However, as you all know, although talented and dominate here at DB...we are king of choking. Personally, being a storied rival of Oak Ridge I feel pitty for Oak Ridge not making the playoffs. What a minute, no I don't, stinks for the Atomic City chaps and I proud to say that Dobyns Bennett opened up the vulnerability of the 'Cats.

So to the playoff outlook. I agree with most of you that it will look as follows:

First Round:

William Blount at Dobyns Bennett

Knox Bearden at Knox Farragut

Science Hill at Ooltewah

McMinn Co. at Sevier Co.

Outcomes of round one will most likely be with the #1's and #2's winning, but in a tighter game than expected. I give my tilt to the Sevier Co. Smoky Bears for their potential to be explosive. Destroying pass happy Knox Bearden last week gives testimony to that. McMinn Co. has, however, won 5 straight so look for this to be the match up of the week. Ooltewah should not take Science Hill lightly. Though not exceptionally talented on offense Science Hill's defense can usually keep them in the game for 3 quarters, look for Ooltewah to take it home on the Hill in the 4th. William Blount will give Dobyns Bennett all they want, but I believe its the Indians run defense and key turnovers that will lead them into the second round. Knox Farragut, if they show up should win this game. Knox Bearden however, if allowed to gain momentum will have a chance. Once again though, look for the #1's and #2's winning.

Second Round:

Knox Farragut at Dobyns Bennett

Sevier Co. at Ooltewah

Outcomes of round two will be very interesting as well. Depending on which Knox Farragut team shows up will decide how well Dobyns Bennett will play. If given the opportunities via turnovers or lack of momentum look for Dobyns Bennett to systematically win. I pick Dobyns Bennett in this one. The Sevier Co. and Ooltewah match up looks to be a good one. Sevier Co. has an offense that is able to score quickly through the air and on the ground with a consistent and shifty quarterback. Look for Ooltewah to win this one late in the air, but don't underestimate the Smoky Bears they were 30 seconds away from defeating us at J. Fred.

Third Round:

Dobyns Bennett at Ooltewah

The outcome of this game is obviously dependent upon the outcome of the previous weeks. If all works out right this match up should occur, but given the chance other teams might appear here as well. If so, look for this game to be a low scoring affair with Dobyns Bennett possibly winning it through the air. Either way, either team will have their hands full with Riverdale.

Best of luck to all, it will be an interesting few weeks.

-Bub, from Kingsport

5A Region 1 is obviously weaker than 5A Region 2. You have to look at the school locations for that. Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill are forced to play out of conference games against inferior opponents because to play other 5A prospective playoff opponents we would have to travel to Knoxville or further a few more times each year than we already do; unfortunatley its not economical and its tough to ask our fan base to travel every week. I would like to see Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill playing more 5A teams, the Elizabethtons, Sullivan Centrals, and Tennessee Highs of 4A won't cut it but I would say that Heritage and Soddy Daisy might play like their on the 4A level. Nonetheless, I do feel most teams in Region 2 are down with the exception of Ooltewah. Attending every Dobyns Bennett game I've seen how DB stacked up against 5A Region 1's #2 and #3. Knox Bearden held us close on our offensive miscues and turnovers. In the end throwing the ball led us to victory. Sevier Co. again held us in check with offensive miscues and turnovers and again in the end passing the ball around led us to victory. Look for us, Dobyns Bennett, to be throwing the ball in the playoffs with a trick play here and there to put us over the top. Home field advantage looms large in early rounds; with the exception of William Blount and Ooltewah years ago who beat us with one player. One thing that can be assured this year, however, is that Dobyns Bennetts defense is dominate. Outscoring our opponents 320-63 and holding our opponents to an average of 7 points a game is stout. DB's trek for a state championship will henge on the creativity of Coach Graham Clark and the Indians offense. If DB can score 3+ touchdowns per game in the first three rounds of the playoffs we might be talking serious contender against Riverdale. However, as you all know, although talented and dominate here at DB...we are king of choking. Personally, being a storied rival of Oak Ridge I feel pitty for Oak Ridge not making the playoffs. What a minute, no I don't, stinks for the Atomic City chaps and I proud to say that Dobyns Bennett opened up the vulnerability of the 'Cats.

So to the playoff outlook. I agree with most of you that it will look as follows:

First Round:

William Blount at Dobyns Bennett

Knox Bearden at Knox Farragut

Science Hill at Ooltewah

McMinn Co. at Sevier Co.

Outcomes of round one will most likely be with the #1's and #2's winning, but in a tighter game than expected. I give my tilt to the Sevier Co. Smoky Bears for their potential to be explosive. Destroying pass happy Knox Bearden last week gives testimony to that. McMinn Co. has, however, won 5 straight so look for this to be the match up of the week. Ooltewah should not take Science Hill lightly. Though not exceptionally talented on offense Science Hill's defense can usually keep them in the game for 3 quarters, look for Ooltewah to take it home on the Hill in the 4th. William Blount will give Dobyns Bennett all they want, but I believe its the Indians run defense and key turnovers that will lead them into the second round. Knox Farragut, if they show up should win this game. Knox Bearden however, if allowed to gain momentum will have a chance. Once again though, look for the #1's and #2's winning.

Second Round:

Knox Farragut at Dobyns Bennett

Sevier Co. at Ooltewah

Outcomes of round two will be very interesting as well. Depending on which Knox Farragut team shows up will decide how well Dobyns Bennett will play. If given the opportunities via turnovers or lack of momentum look for Dobyns Bennett to systematically win. I pick Dobyns Bennett in this one. The Sevier Co. and Ooltewah match up looks to be a good one. Sevier Co. has an offense that is able to score quickly through the air and on the ground with a consistent and shifty quarterback. Look for Ooltewah to win this one late in the air, but don't underestimate the Smoky Bears they were 30 seconds away from defeating us at J. Fred.

Third Round:

Dobyns Bennett at Ooltewah

The outcome of this game is obviously dependent upon the outcome of the previous weeks. If all works out right this match up should occur, but given the chance other teams might appear here as well. If so, look for this game to be a low scoring affair with Dobyns Bennett possibly winning it through the air. Either way, either team will have their hands full with Riverdale.

Best of luck to all, it will be an interesting few weeks.

-Bub, from Kingsport

Good post srupley. I think you got it all pretty close. I also agree that the DB/Ooltewah winner will have a very difficult time beating Riverdale.

Good post srupley. I think you got it all pretty close. I also agree that the DB/Ooltewah winner will have a very difficult time beating Riverdale.

Owls match up better against Riverdale because R'dale can't throw the ball a lick and nobody yet has been able to run against Owl's front 7.

Owls match up better against Riverdale because R'dale can't throw the ball a lick and nobody yet has been able to run against Owl's front 7.

Well, that was the same I heard from posters regarding Farragut and they threw the ball all over the Ooltewah defense. I would agree that Ooltewah is very good against the run, but they have not played a team as good as Riverdale.

In Riverdale's game against McCallie, they completely devastated a pretty good McCallie team--with just the run. No secrets, just ran all over them. I think you might be a little surprised at the talent of R'dale's running game.

At the same time, I would be pulling for the Owls, but realistically speaking this is stepping it up another level. You might be right, and if so, the Owls will prove they are better than I think they actually have looked. Don't get me wrong they are a solid team, and they have had a great season; I'm just not convinced they are there quite yet. They should fare well in the playoffs, but it is not going to be easy. They will win their first game and probably the second one, especially at home. Then they will run into DB--I still think this is where their season will end, as experience for DB will win over the youthful Owls. So, we will likely not see a Riverdale matchup.