BT Washington vs. Alcoa

tornadogold

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree and you have yet to provide anything to back up this absurd claim.

Have you ever seen a team from memphis play? How can you base an opinion on something you know nothin about. Just because there aren't any top 100 recruits from memphis doesn't mean that there aren't any great athletes. Grades and coaches have alot to do with your recruiting. We all know Memphis isn't the place for that. I've seen several players in the last couple of years that I would put there athletic ability against anyone in the states. And just because they're great athletes doesn't make them great football players. Alot of the teams down there don't have a clue about football. But I'd place everything I own that there per capita there are FAR MORE kids down there with sub 4.4 fortys and +40 verticals than anywhere else in the state. I once saw on a recuiting show where Dickie V said memphis has the best athletes in America. If there were a coach that could goto memphis and start a program like 12yrchamps said everyone else would be playin for 2nd. Edited by bulldawgs#1

Have you ever seen a team from memphis play? How can you base an opinion on something you know nothin about. Just because there aren't any top 100 recruits from memphis doesn't mean that there aren't any great athletes. Grades and coaches have alot to do with your recruiting. We all know Memphis isn't the place for that. I've seen several players in the last couple of years that I would put there athletic ability against anyone in the states. And just because they're great athletes doesn't make them great football players. Alot of the teams down there don't have a clue about football. But I'd place everything I own that there per capita there are FAR MORE kids down there with sub 4.4 fortys and +40 verticals than anywhere else in the state. I once saw on a recuiting show where Dickie V said memphis has the best athletes in America. If there were a coach that could goto memphis and start a program like 12yrchamps said everyone else would be playin for 2nd.

I have to agree with you #1Dawg. I am an Alcoa Alum, but I have lived all over the state and would agree with your assessment. Most of the folks in Blount County never get past the Boro, so that is the only exposure to Middle and West Tenn Teams they will have. They just haven't seen the talent in the other parts of the state. By the way, there's tons of talent around Jackson as well. Years ago I watched McNairy and Boliver play and came away amazed at the talent and size. Now, please don't take this as a slap. The big difference IMHO is the coaching. The teams around that area have no concept of a throwing game. I don't know why? Are the coaches reluctant to step outside the box? Honestly the ability of Maryville and Alcoa to execute this facet is really a key to their Championship teams. Oh well, I didn't mean to ramble. I do agree with your assessment though.

Have you ever seen a team from memphis play? How can you base an opinion on something you know nothin about. Just because there aren't any top 100 recruits from memphis doesn't mean that there aren't any great athletes. Grades and coaches have alot to do with your recruiting. We all know Memphis isn't the place for that. I've seen several players in the last couple of years that I would put there athletic ability against anyone in the states. And just because they're great athletes doesn't make them great football players. Alot of the teams down there don't have a clue about football. But I'd place everything I own that there per capita there are FAR MORE kids down there with sub 4.4 fortys and +40 verticals than anywhere else in the state. I once saw on a recuiting show where Dickie V said memphis has the best athletes in America. If there were a coach that could goto memphis and start a program like 12yrchamps said everyone else would be playin for 2nd.

This is Football!!Football thread,football game,football season its not called athlete

Nader89, were you at the game? What did BTW look like?

No I wasn't at the game as I am two hours away, but I talked to my father and best friend by way of cell for most of the game. They are ex coaches so here goes: BTW has 42 players. Number 55 is huge and has quick feet. Rae Sykes is 6-4 and they both said he is a "head" taller. The runningback was very fast....the Jones' kid that is. They threw it deam a lot but couldn't execute against Alcoa's corners Lanxter and Sommer. They have "small" defensive ends who can be kicked out easily according to my friend. Alcoa chose to throw a bunch. I think Coach Rankin wanted to fine tune heading into the playoffs, especially against speed as they will have to do this against Tyner, Goodpasture or Milan IMHO. Anyway, going back to their ends. My friend felt like Shiverdecker and Hodge could have run for 300 yards if they chose to do so. The ends were easily kicked by the Fullbacks. They, BTW, ran quite a few reverses/trick plays as well. Hope this gives you a picture.

I guess that wins games huh??lol

Nope I've said on here several times they're great athletes not great football players. They're poorly coached i.e. discipline, preperation, and scheme.

The memphis bands are great. And this is coming from someone who hates field shows. When we went to Mitchell in 02 and they and Carver came to Milan in 03 we had never seen anything like it. They're definately not your traditional band. No normal tunes and chants it's all current rap music. They get annoying because they play from the time they get off the bus till the time they get back on. The refs actually had to stop the game a couple of times in 02 to tell the band they couldn't play during the play. Their field shows often involve fire and people doing things you didn't know the human body could do.

For those at the game it was pretty much all Alcoa. The BTW team did not show me any kids with high athletic ability. They did play with great heart and determination and kept after it the whole game but they were not close to the team Alcoa from the stand point of being athletic or being diciplined.

One thing i would like to comment on was sportsmanship... They played a great game from that stand point. They did bicker a little with each other but I think those young men played to the best of thier ability. However, just like in life, sometimes your best is not enough. Losing a football game does not make you a loser.

I dont know where BTW is located but if they are truely inner city kids from a rough neighborhood they did not act like hoods. I cannot say the same of some of the other teams we have played. If it was not a huge drive for them or us I would like to see us play them again.

I think those kids are winners for their spirt !!!