Blowout Rule?

Solomon

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw a poll on the Tennessean's website asking how the TSSAA should handle a 50+ point win. I'm just afraid of the old saying "where there's smoke there's fire" and there actually are schools that want to do something to punish teams and coaches who do it. Does anyone know if this has this been mentioned at all, or is it just a poll on a slow news day in Nashville?

We do not want to get TSSAA involved this. This needs to be self policed by coaches and schools.

Guys, if TSSAA ends up making a rule on this, let me assure you that it will be a bad one that everyone will hate. I believe the rule is that if both coaches consent, the quarters can be shortened. Even a forfeit. I am even in favor of letting the clock run IF BOTH coaches consent, although that would cut down the playing time for the younger players on both sides who work hard in practive every day just like the starters. Stop passing, take time in between plays, play the 2nd and 3rd string (if you have one), even play players out of position to have a little fun. But coaches instructing players to miss blocks or tackles, not play 100%, call the wrong plays or wrong defenses on purpose, punting on 1st down; things like that have been mentioned and in my opinion are silly. If the coach who's getting throttled wants to shorten the game, he can ask for it, and 99.99% of the time, the other coach will consent. And I'm with KevB1990; I've seen a lot of high school football and it's very rare where a coach PURPOSEFULLY runs up the score.

Guys, if TSSAA ends up making a rule on this, let me assure you that it will be a bad one that everyone will hate. I believe the rule is that if both coaches consent, the quarters can be shortened. Even a forfeit. I am even in favor of letting the clock run IF BOTH coaches consent, although that would cut down the playing time for the younger players on both sides who work hard in practive every day just like the starters. Stop passing, take time in between plays, play the 2nd and 3rd string (if you have one), even play players out of position to have a little fun. But coaches instructing players to miss blocks or tackles, not play 100%, call the wrong plays or wrong defenses on purpose, punting on 1st down; things like that have been mentioned and in my opinion are silly. If the coach who's getting throttled wants to shorten the game, he can ask for it, and 99.99% of the time, the other coach will consent. And I'm with KevB1990; I've seen a lot of high school football and it's very rare where a coach PURPOSEFULLY runs up the score.

Great post!! You read my mind. :thumb:

Solomon...

They did that story because it's 1. a hot topic this year in football thanks to the Connecticut rule; 2. because it's the first anniversary weekend of Trousdale's 91-0 win over RBS; and 3. with the Titans coming off a bye week there wasn't anything new on the Titans to report on Wednesday.

Probably true. :P

I think it would probably help if some teams were not ranked on thier ability to outscore oppenents. I have seen several rankings that showed them outscoring their opponents 253-31 or something similar and you just know that their were a few close ones in that number and one or two blowouts along the way and when that is way of getting natinal recognition then there will always be someone that wants to be recognized for it.

think those over 60 point spreds don't help alcoa out ?? They could win every game by only 6 and no one would talk about them so much.

Camden wins nearly every game by more than 30 points but they do not push it more than that the coach throws in all the second and third string boys the rest of the game and usually does a lot of running the ball to keep it fun for everyone. Heck I even told my younger brother that his games were boring to watch cause they are usually up over 21 points by halftime and you know its game over.

But to put a rule in and at the same time have a national ranking based on who can outscore their opponent the most.....that would make some coaches want to keep in a first string D just to make sure the other guy could not score and then run the O right up to that magic number.

think those over 60 point spreds don't help alcoa out ?? They could win every game by only 6 and no one would talk about them so much.

Alcoa does not run up the score to get recognized, they play the game and play the 2nd and 3rd string when it starts to get ugly. I don't believe a blowout rule is needed. The 2 coaches should be able to choose what happens in the 2nd half. I know Alcoa has shortened the quarters in the last 2 first round playoff games. here doesn't have to be an overall rule as long as coaches can come to agreement and play everyone.