Blowout Rule?

Solomon

I just saw a poll on the Tennessean's website asking how the TSSAA should handle a 50+ point win. I'm just afraid of the old saying "where there's smoke there's fire" and there actually are schools that want to do something to punish teams and coaches who do it. Does anyone know if this has this been mentioned at all, or is it just a poll on a slow news day in Nashville?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think teams should be punished. We have this same discussion every year. Many times coaches do all they can - quit passing, play everyone, etc. but they can't tell their kids to go out there and NOT play when they have the chance. I know in AR they have a rule where when one team is up by 35+, they play with a running clock. Maybe TSSAA should institute something like that.

I don't think teams should be punished. We have this same discussion every year. Many times coaches do all they can - quit passing, play everyone, etc. but they can't tell their kids to go out there and NOT play when they have the chance. I know in AR they have a rule where when one team is up by 35+, they play with a running clock. Maybe TSSAA should institute something like that.

Thank goodness this does not apply in college, otherwise Michigan State would have lost that game this weekiend where they were down by 35 points...

[/quote

I hope a rule like this is never imposed at the same time there are coaches who do not do all they can to limit a route. To be fair coaches are not taught to limit scoring only to find ways to score more.

Coaches don't have to let the score get out of hand and here's an example from last Friday night... We were up 49-0 with 6:00min left in the 2nd quarter and the Coach put in the 2nd and 3rd string....then after the half the clock was shortened by 4 min each quarter and the freshman team was put in while the other team kept their 1st string in the whole game. There's no reason to humiliate a bunch of teenagers to satisfy some overblown coach's ego.

True!

Do you know of any huge comebacks like that in HS football? Just wondering...I don't know of any but it may have happened before.

Last year Pope John Paul II HS was playing at Goodpasture and were down 49-35 with 50 seconds left when Goodpasture kicked off. We scored a TD with 4 seconds left to cut the lead to 49-42. Kicked an onside kick, recovered it, and scored the game tying TD with no time left on the clock. JPII ended up winning in OT 55-52. It was called "The Game of The Year" in Middle Tenn..... It was exciting..

Edited by KnightTime05

Solomon...

They did that story because it's 1. a hot topic this year in football thanks to the Connecticut rule; 2. because it's the first anniversary weekend of Trousdale's 91-0 win over RBS; and 3. with the Titans coming off a bye week there wasn't anything new on the Titans to report on Wednesday.

Coaches don't have to let the score get out of hand and here's an example from last Friday night... We were up 49-0 with 6:00min left in the 2nd quarter and the Coach put in the 2nd and 3rd string....then after the half the clock was shortened by 4 min each quarter and the freshman team was put in while the other team kept their 1st string in the whole game. There's no reason to humiliate a bunch of teenagers to satisfy some overblown coach's ego.

You didn't say what the final score was, but sounds to me like your coach did all he could. Anyway it's not his job to keep his subs. from scoreing. They run the same laps and drills as the starters.

What I don't understand is why the other coach didn't do the same? 1st team varisty against someone's freshman's team, thats embarassing and dangerous?

I hope this is false. I think in the majority of the cases the team that is winning handily tries to get all the kids on the field as soon as the game is in hand.

Of course, you get both sore losers and bad winners and sometimes the thing gets ugly for a lot of different reasons.

I guess teams should punt on 1st down or take three knees then punt once up by 35, but if the other team decides they want to give it a shot to make a run then by all means...

In other words don't fix it if it ain't broke. I have witnessed twice where I thought a team was rubbing it in and I've watched a lot of high school ball over the years.