Maryville-Not producing Big Time D1 players

Russ098

Ok we all know Maryville is in a class all of its own in Tennessee high school football.They are penciled in as 4A state champs each year. With this in mind it is very odd to me that they arent producing atleast 2-4 solid D1 prospects each year. Now this is not a knock on the program at all, it is a testament to the coaching and discipline. Even in close games against Knox Central they make just enough plays to win. This year rivals top 20 players from Tennessee has 1 players from Maryville,that being Tyler Maples ranked 15th.Last year they had 0 players in the top 20..I know a few years ago they produced Carl Stewart who starts at Auburn and Cade Thompson who will be a career back up at South Carolina..Alcoa has produced big time prospects but gets waxed by Maryville..Why do yall think the lack of either talent or recognition is occuring?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Coaching, AND THE ONE THING THEY DO Is play as a team, They dont have players that play for themselves. IF they have an injury that guy is out there helping get his team motivated.

Thats a big lack that I see out of my team I cheer for but ill leave that alone

Maryville just plays with heart and determination they care about winning and they arent out partying fridays and saturdays like a lot of high schoolers.

Coaching is a big part of there team they have a great staff.

Ok we all know Maryville is in a class all of its own in Tennessee high school football.They are penciled in as 4A state champs each year. With this in mind it is very odd to me that they arent producing atleast 2-4 solid D1 prospects each year. Now this is not a knock on the program at all, it is a testament to the coaching and discipline. Even in close games against Knox Central they make just enough plays to win. This year rivals top 20 players from Tennessee has 1 players from Maryville,that being Tyler Maples ranked 15th.Last year they had 0 players in the top 20..I know a few years ago they produced Carl Stewart who starts at Auburn and Cade Thompson who will be a career back up at South Carolina..Alcoa has produced big time prospects but gets waxed by Maryville..Why do yall think the lack of either talent or recognition is occuring?

Maryville plays for goldballs , not to see how many D-1 prospects they can send to college. :thumb:

Edited by goldballs

I agree with the post that who cares as long as gold balls keep coming Maryville's way. I honestly look at the Maryville run much in the same way as the national media looks at the New England Patriots. Not flashy, no "big name" superstars, they simply work together as a team towards ONE common goal. The distractions of superstar players often cloud teams visions towards their goals (i.e. state championships.) Whether you root for Maryville or hate Maryville you have to respect the way that Coach Quarles and his assistants have made the administration and the fans buy into a system. I really and truly believe that the average fan has no idea how difficult that is to do. But to quote a great movie and a great coach in the movie Miracle. Herb Brooks told his assistant coaches that he was not looking for the "best players", he was looking for the "right players." Maryville has done this. I personally would rather have 11 guys that would never sniff a college field over 11 big division 1 recruits that are playing for the name on the back instead of the front.

Edited by JHITE7

I believe you would have to ask the D-1 Colleges and Universitys about that. There are 49 other states out there with great High School Sports Programs. Many with a higher population density of prospects from which to choose.

There are a few I'm familliar with that wouldn't consider a number of states' (non-state colleges now) prospects until last, and Tennessee is one of them. For example: Cornell, Boston College, Syracuse and Monmouth University really don't have to look far for tallent. Obvioulsy, most State Universities don't have to look far for tallent, but when they do, they don't pick many.

Just my observation and opinion.

Some MHS players that made D-1 since '98: Nick Black - Clemson. '98 Chuck Prugh - UT. and of course Cade and Carl. I think that's pretty impressive. Plus a number have gone on to play at smaller schools too.

Reguards to the Board,

Mapp

Edited by mapperman

Twenty years from now, no body remembers who went D-1 but they will remember playing as a team and who covered their back.

They just win baby!

They look a lot better than the #1 5A team in the state.

Good Luck rebs it's been fun watching your great team the last 6 years.

This year will make it five in a row, in the regular season that Maryville will go undefeated, thats a 50-0 record in 5 years during the regular season! George Quarles era has five state championships and looking for number six this year! Thats what people remember, not D-1 recruits. Nuff said!

Edited by catback