Morristown East & West

splainshornets

5. All Hamblen County residents need to look at Sunday's Tribune. Now we are talking about creating a third high school again. Their options include renovating the two and making them larger or creating a third. If they decide to create a third, then more football fields will become a must.

I would prefer that we put them back together. Most research says that 3 would be best, but they do not live here and see how East/West divides the town.

Here is what I would love to see done. Go out on 160 and build a school that would hold 4,000 students for growth. Name it Hamblen County High School and let the mascot be the Wildcats like the old middle school used to have. They wouls need to pick totally new colors. (No orange and no crimson) Bring the community back together. In my humble opinion, this would do much more for the community than most in power realize.

Would this combination create one of the, if not the largest, most populated high schools in Tennessee? I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any school with 3,000 people. Wow! That would be an enormous campus! Can someone enlighten me a little more about this new grass turf?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this combination create one of the, if not the largest, most populated high schools in Tennessee? I'm not sure, but I don't think there are any school with 3,000 people. Wow! That would be an enormous campus! Can someone enlighten me a little more about this new grass turf?

The local paper had an article about how Burke-Toney, home of Morristown East and West, might receive the same kind of turf that Carson-Newman has. The company has promised a huge discount so that it can be a showcase for other schools in our area. We need it because of how many games are played on the field. With East inproving each year and West always strong, it just adds to the traffic on it.

Jefferson County is not too far from 3,000 if I am not mistaken. There are a few out there I believe.

Edited by Ed Masters

Just for the record.....PUT THE SCHOOLS BACK TOGETHER!!!

Good idea. But I doubt it would ever happen. Too many questions such as ..Mascot? Football Coach? There would also be too many students...East has 5 lunch periods now..West has 4...Either way the school will be really crowded and it's not worth the hassle to put them together

Nexturff. It is the top of the line stuff. From what I understand, it will go down during the off season. I think an issue will be east/west getting equal practice time on it. I do think it has to happen. I am old school and hate any form of turf but it looks like it is gonna happen.

"if cows won't eat it, I don't want to play football on it."

"if cows won't eat it, I don't want to play football on it."

True. I'd rather see a game on a mudhole than on turf...And about the equal practice time on it, I don't see it happening...I think a good solution would be to stop letting the MS and soccer teams play on it.,,And have the JV games somewhere else, too...If only one game was played on BT each week, it would be in alot better shape.

Good idea. But I doubt it would ever happen. Too many questions such as ..Mascot? Football Coach? There would also be too many students...East has 5 lunch periods now..West has 4...Either way the school will be really crowded and it's not worth the hassle to put them together

Here you go. I have thought about this for YEARS.

MASCOT: Wildcats (Morristown's Junior High mascot)

COACH: Woods or Hatcher - You could not go wrong with either selection. West wins state a few years ago with some of East's players. A 6'6 WR named Simpson sure would have helped.

There are other schools that have that many kids. It would take a completely new building out on 160. It would be worth it, but they would not even think about trying it.

Today's paper brought up opening 3 schools. I hope they don't do that!

They need to build a middle school field and play freshman and JV games(east at long-reel) and west at west practice field. I agree, they could spend the turff $ on these other options.

The funny thing is how it was never this big of an issue until now. I almost wonder if they are not trying to force us to do something. Could someone have an agenda? Why all of the sudden is this an issue when it wasn't back when I was a student?

I'd rather see..

Mascot - Mountaineers...nothing that has to do with Morristown..Nothing remotely to do with Wildcats, Trojans, or weather activity...

Coach - Based on numbers and post-HS success, I'd say Woods...

School - If they were to build a new campus, It would be the best in East TN and would repay itsself in a short period of time.

I'd rather see..

Mascot - Mountaineers...nothing that has to do with Morristown..Nothing remotely to do with Wildcats, Trojans, or weather activity...

Coach - Based on numbers and post-HS success, I'd say Woods...

School - If they were to build a new campus, It would be the best in East TN and would repay itsself in a short period of time.

We don't really have many mountains right here in Hamblen County. The older generation of adults would want something that would be from the past. (Just like East getting the Goose back) You could NEVER go back to Hurricanes. No way Trojans would work. The name Wildcats was used back when there was only 1 middle school in the entire county. It was housed where the Central Office is today.

I agree that it would be the best facility in the state. And the sports would be unreal.