Stopping Rival Vandalism

GreenbrierCat2

I remember hearing about Smryna and Riverdale and the vandalism that was going on between those two schools. I think it's finally stopped now, but what repercussions or steps need to be taken in vandalism?

Apparently it was not enough that Greenbrier has had a down year, already to be established to be out of the playoffs when someone decided to paint WH BDP (standing for White House Blue Devil "Pride") across the stone sign in front of our school. My assumption is that this was done Thursday night. This sign was dedicated by the Class of 1996 from their class funds. This was neither funny, amusing or "Prideful". I know for a FACT that this is at least the second time this has happened within the last six years by the same school. The last time it was spray paint all over the stadium seating, the sidelines and field before they were to play us at our field.

Yes, I know....kids will be kids...and punks will be punks. There is a clear line between "fun" and vandalism. I know that this was done by a few of many, and it goes on in many places, but I just wonder what schools do when this happens? Do you let it slide as "kidplay" or let the kids play us by thinking that anything is okay, if they don't get caught?

This has nothing to do with our loss to White House. I have chatted with other White House fans, and think I have a civilized jabber with them, however, this would stick in anyone's "craw". I was mad when I found this out BEFORE the game. Kids have no business vandalizing ANY school property, and especially not in the name of "rivalry". This is not pride...it is breaking the law.

Anyone else have a take on this?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to find the "guilty few" in order to punish this kind of childishness so these acts go unpunished for the most part. If the TSSAA would impose penalties on the offending school, regardless of which students were the culprits, that might stop it. Of course, then the guilty kids would just vandalize their OWN school in order to see their rival punished :lol:

The only thing that can be done is to make punishment of those who get caught swift and sure. Oh, and install security cameras. Costly but our school's busses have been vandalized so many times (broken windows, damaged engines) that we had to do something. It hasn't stopped the punks but at least now we have them on film so there is a chance we can prosecute.

We had a rival student do doughnuts on our new campus lawn one Saturday night. Because the sod was new, poor boys truck got stuck and he had to leave it. It was a sight to behold on Sunday as the Sheriff supervised the kid and his dad filling all of those tire ruts :lol:

All I can say is I don't understand some kids. Why vandalize and paint graffiti in a manner in which they think they are showing superiority, when all they iare showing is a classless act. This served no purpose, other than to belittle Greenbrier, but in turn all it did was belittle White House. Whether it is a football player, or just a student doing this to another school, they are putting a black "marK" on MY school. If these kids want to paint something, offer to paint a barn or a house, or maybe just clean your room. Kids talk, somebody else probably knows and will slip. I would not want to have that hanging over my head.

MY apologies Greenbrier. But I can't speak for someone who would has not been raised to know better.

Edited by WHHS1975

Somone painted pioneers somewhere at Trenton Peabody field last week but they mispelled Pioneers. lol

thats been done several times going both ways...peabody put up a sign out in front of our high school just last night or friday night that said roll tide 30-0 which was the score of the game...most of the people doing these are more than likely friends with each other and just being stupid about it all..few years ago peabody came to our school and pretty much destroyed the band practice field so peabody cant be too innocent about the vandalism

Greenbrier[/url'>Cat2' post='826217994' date='Oct 29 2006 - 07:07 PM']

I remember hearing about Smryna and Riverdale and the vandalism that was going on between those two schools. I think it's finally stopped now, but what repercussions or steps need to be taken in vandalism?

Apparently it was not enough that Greenbrier has had a down year, already to be established to be out of the playoffs when someone decided to paint WH BDP (standing for White House Blue Devil "Pride") across the stone sign in front of our school. My assumption is that this was done Thursday night. This sign was dedicated by the Class of 1996 from their class funds. This was neither funny, amusing or "Prideful". I know for a FACT that this is at least the second time this has happened within the last six years by the same school. The last time it was spray paint all over the stadium seating, the sidelines and field before they were to play us at our field.

Yes, I know....kids will be kids...and punks will be punks. There is a clear line between "fun" and vandalism. I know that this was done by a few of many, and it goes on in many places, but I just wonder what schools do when this happens? Do you let it slide as "kidplay" or let the kids play us by thinking that anything is okay, if they don't get caught?

This has nothing to do with our loss to White House. I have chatted with other White House fans, and think I have a civilized jabber with them, however, this would stick in anyone's "craw". I was mad when I found this out BEFORE the game. Kids have no business vandalizing ANY school property, and especially not in the name of "rivalry". This is not pride...it is breaking the law.

Anyone else have a take on this?

I think that reflects badly on the White House community and I apologize for those who are so stupid, that they find humor in destroying/damaging the property of others. I assure you that this is not how true Blue Devil Fans behave.

I think that reflects badly on the White House community and I apologize for those who are so stupid, that they find humor in destroying/damaging the property of others. I assure you that this is not how true Blue Devil Fans behave.

Advocate, we rub elbows everyday with White House enough to know that it's all not all or even most. Kids that are only a little corner of a "big picture" and they can't realize their actions smear and reflects only on the whole picture, when most of of the "bigger picture" is painted perfectly fine.

I think it speaks volumes of White House that the "smack" was next to nothing the week before, and has been that way since. The thing that caught my eye above all is seeing those boys help each other up, and at the end of the CSS video where Justin Grogan was limping off the field all alone and it appeared that a White House fan walked over and patted him on the back. CSS announcers had the birds eye view on these two teams and I hate when any kid (from either school) can't appreciate the class of most of the players or fans from either side.

Edited by EZBeingGreen