Any Word What Briarcrest is Going To Do About A New Coach?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the rumor that's been floating around for weeks now.

Really...who have you been hearing it form...being away from mempho im obviously not in the loop naymore...im not saying its true or untrue...personally i would love to see him go to briarcrest...hes never had the facilities liek they have and i think its time he got to work somewhere that does...wish he could take denton and a few others wiht him if he does.

Briarcrest at one time meant pride, the pursuit of excellence, compassion towards the helping of others and having a personal relationship with God. This type of environment breeds and attracted quality, teachers, student-athletes and their families. From talking to some recent grads the current administration is going away from that type of environment and is creating a rigid liberal arts type institution and student body that really doesn't care or value school spirit and pride about its sports programs. Coach Hamstra is the beginning of a new era and type of coach the school now wants, someone to just provide the students with nice uniforms and something to do after school. From what I'm told the current students and previous coaches do not participate with the program or they transfer to other private schools. I understand now the coaching staff from the 2004-05 State Champ team has resigned and there's been 200% turnover since Hugh Freezs' departure also. Hamstra should NOT be fired from his academic faculty position, but relieved from the football head coaching position.

2004-05 Champ alumni

Maybe I'm tired but it sounds like you are saying that the current administration does not care about winning. Am I understanding you right? Awful lot of money spent on athletic facilities to not care.

Yes, you heard it right. Money was spent but things change, principles change, attitudes change, presidents change and winning does not mean as much anymore at a school that wants its emphasis placed elsewhere. This poor guy walked right into a situation with a foot in the grave on day one. Athletics has taken a back seat to other academic and theological pursuits, and thats fine but as a coach you're paid to win and if you can't, you teach and let someone else handle the football. Although you would be hard pressed to find a miracle worker that can win under the conditions set at Briarcrest now. No scholarships, practice restraints, academic restraints and overall and administration that just wants to give the kids "something to do" after school.

The facility was built before the current administration was in place. Not to place blame or fault on the current administration, but according to some recent grads and current students there has definitely been a change in the direction of the school in general, not just with its sports programs. The football program is the first example of what may come and how the programs will be managed in the future. High School is not just about sports and it's not just about academics, it’s the overall experience to prepare students for life afterwards, I now realize this at MS State. Some of my best high school memories were from the football team and the State Championship games and playoffs.

2004-05 AA State Champ alumni

The facility was built before the current administration was in place. Not to place blame or fault on the current administration, but according to some recent grads and current students there has definitely been a change in the direction of the school in general, not just with its sports programs. The football program is the first example of what may come and how the programs will be managed in the future. High School is not just about sports and it's not just about academics, it’s the overall experience to prepare students for life afterwards, I now realize this at MS State. Some of my best high school memories were from the football team and the State Championship games and playoffs.

2004-05 AA State Champ alumni

Speakerbox2, everything that you said in both of your posts is exactly right. You are so right when say that there has been a change in the directionof the school in general. I am not saying it is good or bad, but it is definately changed. It is my feeling, as well as many others, that winning and athletics are not as important as they used to be.

What has also increased is the "politics" at Briarcrest. We have too many parents and donors that give money to the school with the expectation of having certain things done the way they want them, i.e. which kid gets to play and what coaches are hired. Don't you think we would have faired better the last two seasons if Phil Massey or Major Wright had been hired instead of Coach Hamstra? I have heard that certain parents prevented Massey and Wright from being hired and now certain parents are demanding that Coach Hamstra be fired.

Lastly it saddens me that Briarcrest has become what it has as it used to be a lot different.

This is a sign of how 'cut throat' our society has become. The coach at Briarcrest replaced a very good coach and in his first season they had a very disappointing year. Dismal at best. Every one likes to think that they aren't a cut throat type person, but let your winning school fall on hard times in a particular sport in which they were good. Firethecoach.coms will pop up out of the woodwork.

Nevermind that Briarcreast is a very excellent private school that it's graduates reap huge benifiets just because they attended this fine institution and they have received a top notch education.

Winning is EVEYTHING! So what if these coaches have families. So what if these coaches probably spend more time at the school then they do with their own families. So what if they have signed contracts with this institution to coach for a particular time period. Losing is UNACCEPTABLE. Forget these folks families. Forget the mortages and whatever else responsiblities they may have. Fire them now! Who cares what they do for a livivng, as long as we WIN! Don't give them any time to establish themselves or a system or anything. They didn't win. Their team stunk. FIRE THEM NOW and go out and hire someone else! If we don't win, at least be respectable!

It's PRIDE plain and simple. Your team didn't win. They lost miserably. You hate it. Therefore ... the coach must go! I don't care how elequent you respond to my statements ... this kind of thinking stinks to high heaven! Period!

This thinking permeates all the way down to youth football. I'm not exagerating either. I'm sure there are those involved in youth athletics that have witnessed it as I have. I can understand it in the professional ranks. Those orginizations are in it for the money. I can understand big time college football. Those schools are in it for the money as well ... let's not kid ourselves, why else do we not have a playoff in D-1 college football? Now ... it's in high school, middle school and youth football as well. This is a prime example.

That's my $0.02 worth.

I don't recall anywhere in my question where I said that Briarcrest must fire Coach Hamstra. All I asked was if anyone had heard what they were going to do. I am well aware that he has a family and I wish him no ill-will, however what about the obligation a coach or a teacher or administrator has to do a good job at their job. Why do does no one get upset if a math teacher's contract is not renewed because too many students were failing their class because they were a lousy teacher> I am sure that just as many parents complain about poor teachers as do about a bad coach, or at least they do at private schools. In my line of work if the guy that is supposed to pick up trash doesn't do what he supposed to do we replace him with someone who will the job. But I guess in today's society doing a good job is not as important as not "hurting someone's feelings" Maybe that is why the administration won't allow varsity athletes to wear their letter jackets to school anymore, because not all of the students have one. It might make someone "feel bad" So all of the coaches who aren't good at their jobs should just keep on do a bad job because we don't want to hurt thier feelings by making a change. This all goes back to having lower standards for some segments of society than for others and not expecting as much from some.

If a coach is willing to coach then he should be willing to take responsibility for doing a bad job. Or maybe we should just turn varsity athletics into church ball and let everyone play the same amount of time each game and give everyone trophies at the end of the season. Then it really won't matter if the coach does a good job because we still get a trophy and everyone will feel good.

And that is my $.02 worth.

I don't recall anywhere in my question where I said that Briarcrest must fire Coach Hamstra. All I asked was if anyone had heard what they were going to do. I am well aware that he has a family and I wish him no ill-will, however what about the obligation a coach or a teacher or administrator has to do a good job at their job. Why do does no one get upset if a math teacher's contract is not renewed because too many students were failing their class because they were a lousy teacher> I am sure that just as many parents complain about poor teachers as do about a bad coach, or at least they do at private schools. In my line of work if the guy that is supposed to pick up trash doesn't do what he supposed to do we replace him with someone who will the job. But I guess in today's society doing a good job is not as important as not "hurting someone's feelings" Maybe that is why the administration won't allow varsity athletes to wear their letter jackets to school anymore, because not all of the students have one. It might make someone "feel bad" So all of the coaches who aren't good at their jobs should just keep on do a bad job because we don't want to hurt thier feelings by making a change. This all goes back to having lower standards for some segments of society than for others and not expecting as much from some.

If a coach is willing to coach then he should be willing to take responsibility for doing a bad job. Or maybe we should just turn varsity athletics into church ball and let everyone play the same amount of time each game and give everyone trophies at the end of the season. Then it really won't matter if the coach does a good job because we still get a trophy and everyone will feel good.

You are right. Ole Dad is right. What am I thinking. I am glad that the two of you could straighten me out and show me the error of my ways. By all mean. Fire the guy and hire someone else who will perform to your expectations. If tha next guy doesn't perform. Fire him after two years and hire someone else. Repeat said process until you find the guy that makes you feel satisfied.

I never mentioned church ball or that everyone should get a trophy. I never mentioned that no one's feeling shouldn't get hurt. I never mentioned that a person shouldn't be held accountable. Those are all things that you and Ole Dad interjected into my comments.

You and Ole Dad are cut throat. Deal with it. I've made my point. You don't have to like it or agree. Interject anything you like to make yourself feel good about it. This is my last post on this subject. You guys can have at it.

I'm out.

OMG you've got to be kidding about not being able to wear lettermen jackets to school, this has been a high school tradition in America forever. I wore my father's jacket on throw-back old-school day. This new administration must really want to take the high school experience away from being in high school, this is CRAZY. Does the current administration realize that a student can receive varsity letters in things other than sports. i.e... Marching Band, Pep Club, Cheerleader, POM Squad, Color Guard.

These people must really be out of touch, glad I graduated when Briarcrest was a real high school. This sounds like a bunch of people who were never capable, able or willing to participate in any extracurricular high school activities when they were in high school and now as adults they are taking it out on the current students. Looks like a case of someone who is trying to get revenge or exercise their power.

2004-05 AA State Champ Alumni

Edited by speakerbox2

OMG you've got to be kidding about not being able to wear lettermen jackets to school, this has been a high school tradition in America forever. I wore my father's jacket on throw-back old-school day. This new administration must really want to take the high school experience away from being in high school, this is CRAZY. Does the current administration realize that a student can receive varsity letters in things other than sports. i.e... Marching Band, Pep Club, Cheerleader, POM Squad, Color Guard.

These people must really be out of touch, glad I graduated when Briarcrest was a real high school. This sounds like a bunch of people who were never capable, able or willing to participate in any extracurricular high school activities when they were in high school and now as adults they are taking it out on the current students. Looks like a case of someone who is trying to get revenge or exercise their power.

Is it official that the coach is gone???????? If he is will they keep him as an administrator or teacher? Is there anyone on staff that could rally the troops to rebuild? Just wondering......

Lets see on the average there are maybe 20 football players for every 300 students. Hmmm looks like the numbers are catching up and we ae now suffering from the "swirlies" and "wedgies" of our forefathers. REVENGE OF THE NERDS!!!!!