WILL A WING-T TEAM MAKE THE FINALS IN 5-A ?

COACH.X

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old School.......I love it. I would love to see these ran more often. It seems you only see these in youth football where there is not much passing but it is fun to watch.

How about the Wishbone or T formation? I would ask about the Maryland I but I know that Centennial actually runs that but not sure about anyone else?

See some Veer occasionally; I think Centennial ran it this year, but not very well. Their coach resigned. I haven't seen any true "Wishbone" since the 80's. Sometimes you'll see a true T formation or Split-T on goal line offense, but the spread stuff is definitely the flavor of the week.

I would love to see some of those fine old formations used in the 20's, 30's, 40's etc. used. The Short Punt formation, the "A" formation, the Lonesome Polecat etc. Modern defenses are not designed to stop 'em & most all of the guys who defended that stuff are dead. Coaches don't want to run an old offense because everybody wants to see football like the college/pro games on TV.

So, Wing T is the best, greatest, fantastic. But what does a Wing T offense do if they fall behind 2 scores, or so? Do you just keep running it, eating the clock, and lose?

The same as any other offense, you pass the football. You really should check out good teams running the modified Wing-T, the 3yds and cloud of dust Wing-T is a wave of the past.

The same as any other offense, you pass the football. You really should check out good teams running the modified Wing-T, the 3yds and cloud of dust Wing-T is a wave of the past.

Not all Halls it isn't its the wave of the future. We love the dust and getting dirty. Three yards is exceptable if we can run the clock down. :thumb:

I love Old School Football!

Most of the Wing-T teams I've seen around here actually run more of a "hybrid" Wing-T. They run a bit of the old Delaware but add some Jetsweep/Rocketsweep, Midline option etc. stuff in.

As far as Double Wing if I remember correctly I think Hickman County?? ran alot of the basic DW stuff. Toss, Sweep, traps etc. It looks alot like what Hugh Wyatt/Don Markum runs out in Oregon & California. They only won about 3 games, but they're in a awful tough region (5-4a) with Tullahoma, Maplewood, Hillsboro etc. If you have below average/average athletes, these types of offenses can make you competitive if ran correctly.

The most fun offense I've seen this year is 1-A Perry County's unbalanced Single Wing. The deception is absolutely incredible, especially when you run the FB "Spinner" series. I've seen opposing LB's actually run to the wrong side of the field following fakes while the ballcarrier runs for 30 yards or so untouched. Tremendous power at the POA; & it's also a good formation to pass out of. :blink:

Yes, we did run the true double wing. Against people who we were even with or even people with slightly better athletes, we were tough. There were times when we'd run the same play 10 times in a row and just pummel the defense. You'd could see the toll it took on the D. But alas, against Hillsboro etc. it really didn't matter. We couldn't throw it period and we started a ton of soph and jr. It will probably look alot better next year. I liked it but i like smashmouth football, and it did keep us in some games due to its grinding effect.

See some Veer occasionally; I think Centennial ran it this year, but not very well. Their coach resigned. I haven't seen any true "Wishbone" since the 80's. Sometimes you'll see a true T formation or Split-T on goal line offense, but the spread stuff is definitely the flavor of the week.

I would love to see some of those fine old formations used in the 20's, 30's, 40's etc. used. The Short Punt formation, the "A" formation, the Lonesome Polecat etc. Modern defenses are not designed to stop 'em & most all of the guys who defended that stuff are dead. Coaches don't want to run an old offense because everybody wants to see football like the college/pro games on TV.

Yale Formation Maryville runs a split back offense but not a Veer version. It is more like a pro set or old a/b set version. They basically have 3 running plays: power sweep with lead blocker being opposite running back, dive or "inside veer" and the draw play with opposite back being lead blocker once again.