WILL A WING-T TEAM MAKE THE FINALS IN 5-A ?

COACH.X

Mt. Juliet coach Roger Perry is a Wing-T man, but the Bears have been in the I and Power I for the past four weeks -- all victories. They're running the off tackle lead, the trap, the Ice and the sweep with tailback Tyler Carr. They are also throwing the heck out of the ball with good success. They are pretty much blocking man on man up front.

Thanks Eddie. Sounds like the new coach is doing well there.

Will the LC/ Lebanon game be on your local radio station?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perry has it going on at Mt. Juliet. Was willing to try something new when his team was 2-4 and it paid off BIG. Yes, the LHS - Lincoln County game will be on 98.9 FM live. Pre-game at 6:30 / kickoff at 7 p.m. Followed by the post game scoreboard show. If anyone cares to call in with a report from your game, do so by calling 615-449-3699. Best of luck Region 4-5A.

Perry has it going on at Mt. Juliet. Was willing to try something new when his team was 2-4 and it paid off BIG. Yes, the LHS - Lincoln County game will be on 98.9 FM live. Pre-game at 6:30 / kickoff at 7 p.m. Followed by the post game scoreboard show. If anyone cares to call in with a report from your game, do so by calling 615-449-3699. Best of luck Region 4-5A.

Eddie, who does the play by play now?

Marv Dodson. He did basketball for the past two seasons with the late Clyde Harville. The other three guys on the broadcast remain the same . . . Terry Stafford on stats, Tommy Bryan on color commentary and Bob Lee with the live sideline mic.

Thanks....I look forward to catching them some during bball season. Harville is a tuff act to follow tho. I liked him b/c he was always eager to compliment a good play on the opposition.

So, Wing T is the best, greatest, fantastic. But what does a Wing T offense do if they fall behind 2 scores, or so? Do you just keep running it, eating the clock, and lose?

I know I never said it was the best but a very good change up (I prefer to run out of the I). Although the idea is not to get behind and eat the clock and have the ball at the end of the game but you can pass out of the Wing-T but it is harder when you are behind and they know it is coming. This is old school and a joy to watch.

You know it's coming but Can you stop it?

Edited by SSREBEL

Never been a big fan of the Wing T. But Aydelotte (SP?) ran a very impressive version when he was at Hillsboro, so I would guess that Riverdale's is effective. If I remember correctly he ran some option type stuff out of it and had a very athletic QB who got a lot of yardage. Coming from behind is a problem but I don't think he has encountered that much. If you run the bell well enough to go 70 yards in 5 or 6 plays that makes up for lack of a passing game.

Aside from the Wing-T does anyone run the Double Wing? :ph34r: and is that a true Wing-T that anyone is running or a Delaware Wing-T

I love Old School Football!

Most of the Wing-T teams I've seen around here actually run more of a "hybrid" Wing-T. They run a bit of the old Delaware but add some Jetsweep/Rocketsweep, Midline option etc. stuff in.

As far as Double Wing if I remember correctly I think Hickman County?? ran alot of the basic DW stuff. Toss, Sweep, traps etc. It looks alot like what Hugh Wyatt/Don Markum runs out in Oregon & California. They only won about 3 games, but they're in a awful tough region (5-4a) with Tullahoma, Maplewood, Hillsboro etc. If you have below average/average athletes, these types of offenses can make you competitive if ran correctly.

The most fun offense I've seen this year is 1-A Perry County's unbalanced Single Wing. The deception is absolutely incredible, especially when you run the FB "Spinner" series. I've seen opposing LB's actually run to the wrong side of the field following fakes while the ballcarrier runs for 30 yards or so untouched. Tremendous power at the POA; & it's also a good formation to pass out of. :blink: