Henry County vs Melrose

Yes Deberry did play an I thought he played well.. he caught some balls that looked to be for short yardage an turned them into 6 or 7 yards gains.. also Shutt had a td catch of about 40 yards and also ran a kick-off back and that says alot because u no how fast melrose is.. in my opinion Henry Co can win this game but will say i was impressed with the passing game and pass blocking of melrose of offense..one thing that melrose had trouble with was penalties they would make a big play an then get called back for holding.. you can't win big games doing that.. I think i would take HC in a close one..

Swyper01,

I agree with you about Melrose.

Penalties and mistakes have been the achillies heel of this young Melrose team, all season long! It is precisely the reason that I predicted, right from the beginning of the season, that they would not make it back to the State Championship game (I would NOT bet money on it though. Melrose is simply too unpredictable).

Not surprisingly, teams that committ the fewest turnovers and penalties usually wind up winning the game. This is especially true in the playoffs. It just might decide the winner between Henry County and Melrose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prediction: I just don't know about this game. Too many unknown variables for me. I have not seen HC play this year...

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swyper01,

I agree with you about Melrose.

Penalties and mistakes have been the achillies heel of this young Melrose team, all season long! It is precisely the reason that I predicted, right from the beginning of the season, that they would not make it back to the State Championship game (I would NOT bet money on it though. Melrose is simply too unpredictable).

Not surprisingly, teams that committ the fewest turnovers and penalties usually wind up winning the game. This is especially true in the playoffs. It just might decide the winner between Henry County and Melrose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prediction: I just don't know about this game. Too many unknown variables for me. I have not seen HC play this year...

Hey B, great analysis, you sound extremely knowledgable of the game. I'm sure that Gaddis has the tapes for this week but in the Memphis paper they wrote that Melrose put in a new offense this week. What did they do that was so different and helped them score more points than most of there other contests?

Tough game to predict both teams can win depends on who makes the fewest mistakes. Surprised with the offensive output of Melrose looks like they found some big O dosen't bode well for region 7 if they can keep that up. Will wait and see how they do against a tough Henry team. Good luck to Henryland. Go MUNFORD!!!!!

Edited by cougarmike

Melrose is 4real this post season. Everyone is focused and ready to play. The reason they scored after halftime is because Jr. MLB #7 Antonio Harper sat the rest of the game out(hurt ham string) who got an offer Florida State last week.He makes our Defense 100 times better when hes out there. Our Offense has a complete make-over since our head coach started calling the plays(instead of our O.C). Expect us to be in the State this year because we are 4real.

Melrose:42 Henry County:7

I see Melrose winning this one unless they make a lot of mistakes. The HC - East score does not reflect how close the game was. Late in the fourth, East scored to go up 22 - 20 but the score was called back (WR blocked in the back on the 5 yardline - good call) and received another 15 yrds for the receiver diving in the end zone in a playoff game (Wow). Two plays later, the ball went through our receivers hands and was picked off and run back to the 1. That sequence made it 27 - 16 HC. They scored one more late because of mistakes trying to get a quick score. A matter of fact, they caught a couple of INT's off droped passes by wide open receivers and ran it back. East killed themselve and HC took advantage. I don't see Melrose, although almost as young as we are, making those mistakes that we made. Our offense is more dangerous than Melrose's, but their defense is better. Defense wins championships. I could be wrong. Good luck to both teams.

Tough game to predict both teams can win depends on who makes the fewest mistakes. Surprised with the offensive output of Melrose looks like they found some big O dosen't bode well for region 7 if they can keep that up. Will wait and see how they do against a tough Henry team. Good luck to Henryland. Go MUNFORD!!!!!

CougarMike,

To be honest, about the only thing that I noticed that Melrose did differently was its increased use of its passing game. It appeared that Melrose finally conceeded that it is a PASSING TEAM this year, led by strong-armed gunslinger Toney (Sophomore), at QB.

BTW, this is what many Memphis-area CoachT posters have been saying about Melrose, all season long--that they're a passing team this year! The sooner they acknowledged and catered to that, the sooner they would begin to solve their offensive woes.

Earlier in the season, Melrose used the run to set up the pass. They were making heavy use of its very average RBs. Despite his obvious passing talent, QB Toney was (inexplicably) not used as the 1st option.....Well, last night it appeared to be the opposite. Melrose made Toney its #1 option. In addition, they made better use of the speed of its receivers--they got them the ball much more quickly, putting them in better position to make large YAC (yards-after-catch).

It worked. Everything clicked....even the "very average" RBs suddenly became more effective, as a result.

It's important to note that Melrose's OL did an excellent job of pass blocking, as QB Toney had plenty of time to pick HCs secondary apart...which he did, all night long! The receivers ran some good routes and consistently found the "soft spots" in the HC zone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, CougarMike, Melrose's "new offense" appeared to be nothing more than a new twist on an old thing. The only thing that remains to be seen is...you said it-- can they keep it up?

I expect a great, hard-fought game between Melrose and HC. No outcome will surprise me.....I look forward to a post-game report by HC and/or Melrose's CoachT faithful, as I'll be @ the Woodale vs Ridgeway game.

It's good to see that the Melrose offense is opening up. I have felt all year that there was more scoring potential that could be utilized and more pressure placed on opponents defenses. Looks like Coach Alexander's years of high level experience on the offensive side of the ball is being reflected on the field.

Yes, this is a young team, but this is game 12 coming up. If we can curb our enthusiasm on defense a little, this could be a nice run. This Melrose team may not be as strong as some of the previous teams, but are 10-1 during a reloading year. I will take our chances.

This is playoff time and just about every team can play at this stage. Henry County is no exception. Melrose will have to play good football to advance. So come on down to the Mound and buckle up you chin straps.

Edited by orangemoundwest

Melrose is 4real this post season. Everyone is focused and ready to play. The reason they scored after halftime is because Jr. MLB #7 Antonio Harper sat the rest of the game out(hurt ham string) who got an offer Florida State last week.He makes our Defense 100 times better when hes out there. Our Offense has a complete make-over since our head coach started calling the plays(instead of our O.C). Expect us to be in the State this year because we are 4real.

I think that score is a little rediculous. I don't see Melrose putting up 42 points on us and I certainly don't see them holding us to 7. Looks to be a good game. Can't wait till Friday.

I see Melrose winning this one unless they make a lot of mistakes. The HC - East score does not reflect how close the game was. Late in the fourth, East scored to go up 22 - 20 but the score was called back (WR blocked in the back on the 5 yardline - good call) and received another 15 yrds for the receiver diving in the end zone in a playoff game (Wow). Two plays later, the ball went through our receivers hands and was picked off and run back to the 1. That sequence made it 27 - 16 HC. They scored one more late because of mistakes trying to get a quick score. A matter of fact, they caught a couple of INT's off droped passes by wide open receivers and ran it back. East killed themselve and HC took advantage. I don't see Melrose, although almost as young as we are, making those mistakes that we made. Our offense is more dangerous than Melrose's, but their defense is better. Defense wins championships. I could be wrong. Good luck to both teams.

Thanks for the detailed post, EastMustang.

I wondered what happened in this game.... Mistakes are a killer, especially this time of the year... Darn it. I sure was hoping that East could have won this game, setting up a rematch with Melrose!

Anyway, congratulations on a fine season. Ya'll did a great job of pulling together, especially after missing out on all of Spring Training (as somewhat posted), and the Melrose debacle.

Best of success next season.

Congratulations on the win, Melrose58!

Ya'll broke out in a big way, offensively, last night. Great execution. Great game, overall....With that kind of effort, ya'll just might make it back to the 'Boro and even win the whole darn thing!

Why not!

Kudos to Melrose's coaching staff for its new-found offensive philosophy.

BTW, what's the status of Antonio Harper's hamstring injury? Will he be able to play vs Henry County?

Best of success vs Henry County.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS Please encourage your CornerBacks to stick to their assignments....They got BURNED by 1 trick play. They nearly got burned on another one, except the HC reveiver dropped tha pass. Otherwise....that's 14pts!

HC's passing game was off Friday night, too many missed or dropped. That they will have to be improved on this Friday. Calvin & whoever he is trying to get the ball to HAS GOT to work insink & MAKE CONTACT !!!! I do hope the reffs aren't as bad as the ones we had this past Friday night. That was some of the worst play calling. If our team is allowed to PLAY without a stupid yellow hankie dropping every play we have a GREAT chance at winning this game. I do fear the officals will cheat us out of this one if they can. Patriots Just Have To Make Sure They Don't Get OVER Excited.

The Mound & Melrose Fans will have no intimidation on Our Team this year. They've been there & done that & ready to kick some orange @$$ this time around! It helps our guys tremendously that they've already been there before & know what to expect from the crowd & atmosphere. So that will not count for Melrose's "home advantage". This group of guys also knows 1st hand how dirty Melsore gets on the field so that will come as no supprise either.

Edited by The Real Mom of #77

So, in your opinion Hardin County is better than Henry County?

Have you seen HenryCounty play? How do you base your score? Do you know something that the rest of the posters don't?

To the BIG RED:

I personally hope they keep thinking that way! Proud oof the character you showed against M.E. Way to not let things get you down. I really liked the way you got the crowd back in the game. Every guy on the team CAN make a difference. You showed that by your undying spirit on the sidelines. Keep it up we will need it friday night.

To the HC fans: Please bring extra fans, students with you. I'm sure parents would be more than willing to let their kids go with a responsible adult. Load your cars or take the bus, but be there with your horns and bells. I hope Randy's horn can accompany us!!!!!

GO BIG RED! This will be a long week.