BBBest's Top Ten in 5A

basketballisbest

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, clearly there is space for continued assessment of where the top teams still rank against one another. Obviously, that debate continues, as posters and other high school football fans ponder who is really the best team.

It's a whole lot easier to take pot shots and make ludicrous remarks about others' opinions than it is to project your own. An old adage says, "Put up or shut up." Based upon what I am hearing from some posters that the top sixteen would look something like this, because it should only include those teams who are left in the playoffs and losing makes a difference regardless of who you played:

1. Ooltewah -- 11-0

2. Ridgeway -- 11-0

3. Riverdale -- 10-1

4. White Station -- 10-1

5. Wooddale -- 9-2 (lost to WS by one)

6. Sevier County -- 9-2

7. Smyrna -- 9-2 (got slaughtered by Riverdale)

8. Farragut -- 8-3

9. Bolton -- 8-3

10. LaVergne -- 8-3

11. Lincoln County -- 8-3

12. Ravenwood -- 7-4

13. William Blount -- 7-4

14. Antioch -- 7-4

15. Hunters Lane -- 7-4

16. Hendersonville -- 6-5

Can you honestly say, with all sincerity, that Hendersonville, Hunters Lane, Antioch, Lincoln County, and LaVergne are better than teams like Dobyns-Bennett (10-1), Gallatin (10-1), and Franklin (9-2)? You would have to be out of your mind to think that. If those teams were to play any of those three, they would lose 9 out of 10 times. That is the whole point. :D

Well, clearly there is space for continued assessment of where the top teams still rank against one another. Obviously, that debate continues, as posters and other high school football fans ponder who is really the best team.

It's a whole lot easier to take pot shots and make ludicrous remarks about others' opinions than it is to project your own. An old adage says, "Put up or shut up." Based upon what I am hearing from some posters that the top sixteen would look something like this, because it should only include those teams who are left in the playoffs and losing makes a difference regardless of who you played:

1. Ooltewah -- 11-0

2. Ridgeway -- 11-0

3. Riverdale -- 10-1

4. White Station -- 10-1

6. Sevier County -- 9-2

8. Farragut -- 8-3

9. Bolton -- 8-3

10. LaVergne -- 8-3

12. Ravenwood -- 7-4

14. Antioch -- 7-4

15. Hunters Lane -- 7-4

Can you honestly say, with all sincerity, that Hendersonville, Hunters Lane, Antioch, Lincoln County, and LaVergne are better than teams like Dobyns-Bennett (10-1), Gallatin (10-1), and Franklin (9-2)? You would have to be out of your mind to think that. If those teams were to play any of those three, they would lose 9 out of 10 times. That is the whole point. :thumb:

Well if i remember correctly Hendersonville the #4 seed did indeed beat Franklin the # 1 seed in region 6-5A in week 11 so to say that we could not beat them is obvioudly a false statement and i also beleive that Hendersonville gave Gallatin there best game with their starting QB J.T. Ferrel still healthy

1. Ooltewah -- 11-0

2. Ridgeway -- 11-0

3. Riverdale -- 10-1

4. White Station -- 10-1

6. Sevier County -- 9-2

8. Farragut -- 8-3

9. Bolton -- 8-3

10. LaVergne -- 8-3

12. Ravenwood -- 7-4

14. Antioch -- 7-4

15. Hunters Lane -- 7-4

Can you honestly say, with all sincerity, that Hendersonville, Hunters Lane, Antioch, Lincoln County, and LaVergne are better than teams like Dobyns-Bennett (10-1), Gallatin (10-1), and Franklin (9-2)? You would have to be out of your mind to think that. If those teams were to play any of those three, they would lose 9 out of 10 times. That is the whole point. :thumb:

bump them warriors up 2 more :thumb:

Well if i remember correctly Hendersonville the #4 seed did indeed beat Franklin the # 1 seed in region 6-5A in week 11 so to say that we could not beat them is obvioudly a false statement and i also beleive that Hendersonville gave Gallatin there best game with their starting QB J.T. Ferrel still healthy

Excellent point and right on target! :unsure:

Could other teams win as well? Well some that got beat last Friday will have to say they can.

I do NOT care what the AP says and haven't for awhile. Until the voters in it realize the truth and tell it that way I will stay this way. I do not care which of the grand divisions a team is from, good is good and sometimes folks need the truth instead of being PC to make some folks happy.

Lost Old Dad and SCN08FearTheSpear and soap 093,

You are making my whole point and I agree, you can't just go on who won a specific game, and you can't go just on win/loss record. That latest post was an effort to show how ludicrous it would be to just base who is the top ten (or sixteen) in the state on who is in the playoffs and won/loss record.

Decent teams can beat great teams on the right night--a few turnovers, a little momentum and playing outstanding football during a game when the better team is not at their normal best, spells upset. Beating a team does not mean your team is better, other than on that particular night. We've all seen it, when a team pulls of the upset of a more talented football team, and we know that if they played 10 more times the more talented team would win.

It is not my belief that this is how the teams should be ranked; it is simply an attempt to show a word-picture of what I think some of the previous posters were saying about only teams in the playoffs should now be ranked. The whole problem with that theory is that good teams can get upset.

Otherwise, I agree; your points are all well-taken.